Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Motifs

Drachdhar
Drachdhar
✭✭✭
Just read that the droprate for these have been reduced further.

Simply wondering how that affects the main playerbase, ie those that do not farm the drops through various odd exploits.
When leveling my DK over the last two weeks or so(since the last droprate nerf) from 1 to v1 I've found one(1) motif, and I make it a habit of checking all nightstands, cabinets, barrels, sacks, crates etc since there are items like recipes that can be useful. Not only are most nightstands, cabinets and drawers already looted - possibly by some teleporting bot - the ones that are not always contains a lockpick or obsidian(or similiar).

So in the end, it seems that reduced droprates mostly affects those that play the game as intended and do not exploit logging in and out and other things to farm motifs and other rare items.

I would totally agree to drop rate nerfs if the containers you could loot motifs and recipes from actually were individual instead of open for all. But since the majority of players will never find a rare recipe or motif as it stands, why nerf the droprate? The exploiters will continue to exploit, and the honest players will have even less of a chance to get anything.
  • Sru
    Sru
    ✭✭✭
    The notes were only documenting what the last patch implemented. There is no additional reduction
  • Darzil
    Darzil
    ✭✭✭
    It was reduced in a previous patch, not further here, there is a dev comment in one of the threads.

Personally I got my first one in the last couple of weeks post patch!
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drachdhar wrote: »
    I would totally agree to drop rate nerfs if the containers you could loot motifs and recipes from actually were individual instead of open for all. But since the majority of players will never find a rare recipe or motif as it stands, why nerf the droprate? The exploiters will continue to exploit, and the honest players will have even less of a chance to get anything.

What exploiting? Everyone has the same chance to get a motif right now unless there are exploits in the game which allow you an unfair chance to gain one.

If you're referring to the motif farmers as exploiters then unless ZOS deems farming an exploit this is a perfectly normal and acceptable means to working to obtain one.

Now I don't like the lowered rates but it's something we live with and over time will balance out at a stable price which everyone will just accept as the norm.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Naru_D_Wynn
    Naru_D_Wynn
    Soul Shriven
    I was under the impression that the containers where individual ...

i see people looting containers that are already opened on my screen and looting containers that i just cleaned out or vice versa
  • Armianlee
    Armianlee
    ✭✭✭
    Had one guy in game last night claiming that they had been increased and he saw it on the devfeed. To be honest I saw ALOT more 11 and above motifs floating around zone chat last night as well (including people trying to get 250K for them). However, I've not found a single motif of any rank in my 6 hours of playing yesterday <shrug> so I don't know if it was all coincidental or not.
    Basic circle of complaints on ESO Forums:
    1) Users: Fix game/class/bug
    2) Zenimax Online: Brings servers down and fixes issues and deploys patches.
    3) Users: OMG SERVERS ARE DOWN!!!!!
    4) Zenimax Online: Brings servers back up!
    5) See 1)

VR10 Sword and Board Templar (Heavy Armour), Ebonheart Pact
    LVL 25 Sorcerer, Daggerfall Covenant
    LVL 28 DK, Ebonheart Pact
    LVL 15 Nightblade, Altmari Dominion
  • Arsenic_Touch
    Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are individual. There was a bug where containers were empty when they should've contained something. That was fixed with this patch. The part of the patch notes that said it was nerfed was from a previous patch that t hey snuck in without announcing it or even acknowledging it and they have yet to actually fix the current patch notes.
    Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

╔═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    "Hope can drown lost in thunderous sound."
    "Fear can claim what little faith remains."
    "Death will take those who fight alone."
    "But united we can break a fate once set in stone."

╚═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

NA // Ebonheart Pact // Leader of CORE Legion // Namira Beta Tester // VR11 NB
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You seem to not understand how cabinets and stuff work. They are individually spawned for you. If me and you enter a room and I open a cabinet, you don't notice it.

If a cabinet is empty, that means that when you loaded that cell, the cabinet's automatic loot roll determined it would be empty instead of having something in it. That means that each cell you walk into, the moment you do, all the cabinets and other materials populate.

I guess they could have you open the item before realizing it was empty, but I have a feeling that would be far more frustrating for the playerbase.
    Ruze Aulus. Mayor of Dhalmora. Archer, hunter, assassin. Nightblade.
    Gral. Mountain Terror. Barbarian, marauder, murderer. Nightblade.
    Na'Djin. Knight-Blade. Knight, vanguard, defender. Nightblade.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • Kingcroft
    Kingcroft
    ✭✭
    Before the patch I was able to get a motif now and again (still, never the motif I was looking for) but post patch I haven't found anything but lockpicks (which makes you wonder, why does everybody seem to have lockpicks anyway?) I check every trunk/cabnet etc. and so far nothing. I don't really want to buy them so I have given up hope of getting them anymore. I will still loot containers, so my only problem is what to do with the thousands of lockpicks I will acquire over the next few months.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Armianlee wrote: »
    Had one guy in game last night claiming that they had been increased and he saw it on the devfeed. To be honest I saw ALOT more 11 and above motifs floating around zone chat last night as well (including people trying to get 250K for them). However, I've not found a single motif of any rank in my 6 hours of playing yesterday <shrug> so I don't know if it was all coincidental or not.

They haven't been increased. Here's a paraphrase of the developer post yesterday:

-The drop rate reduction actually was patched in around 1.0.5.
    -When that reduction hit, it apparently also bugged containers in a way that made them empty too often.
    -They've now fixed that bug, so although the drop rate is the same, more containers have stuff in them now, which effectively means that you will find more motifs in containers than while the bug was still an issue.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Eris
    Eris
    ✭✭✭✭
    I found a Breton motif yesterday, which is actually rare for me. Normally I find everything but the Breton motif. At least considering yesterday my average of 1-2 motifs for a full day of play is about normal. I generally find motifs in places that aren't crowded, out in the world as opposed to in cities, not sure if that is just a coincidence or means anything, but thought I'd throw it out there.
    Side effects of reading messages on forums can cause nausea, head aches, spontaneous fits of rage, urination due to intense laughter, and sometimes the death of your monitor or other object in throwing range. If you find that you are reading forums more than 24 hours a day, please consult your nearest temporal physicist.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wondering if anyone has the link to the official post from ZOS regarding the patch notes being wrong in this regard, I am willing to assume people are correct but would still like to see a link to their posts.
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Arsenic_Touch
    Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has the link to the official post from ZOS regarding the patch notes being wrong in this regard, I am willing to assume people are correct but would still like to see a link to their posts.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/comment/866509/#Comment_866509
    Edited by Arsenic_Touch on 23 May 2014 14:19
    Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

╔═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    "Hope can drown lost in thunderous sound."
    "Fear can claim what little faith remains."
    "Death will take those who fight alone."
    "But united we can break a fate once set in stone."

╚═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

NA // Ebonheart Pact // Leader of CORE Legion // Namira Beta Tester // VR11 NB
  • Darkro
    Darkro
    ✭✭✭
    I have personally not found any other Motifs after level 20~. I have now been vet 10 for over 2 weeks playing at least 2-4 hours a day and opened any intractable I found on my way.

I consider this to be absolute *** for any honest/legit player.

They basically provided gold sellers with the means to become even richer, since they are the ones who abused logout/login stuff.
    We at least know who's side Zenimax is now.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Arsenic_Touch Thanks, +1 insightful for you sir. :)
  • Drachdhar
    Drachdhar
    ✭✭✭
    As I said earlier... I've seen people enter the same house as me, manage to press to loot a "full" nightstand before I do and then its empty. But since I have not actually devoted any time to understanding how to farm containers, unlike some others it seems, I do not have a great answer to how it actually works. Only observation.
    But 1 motif in two weeks, average playtime of 10 hours a day(since I am an unemployed loser atm), is not alot.

But I guess I might see alot more filled containers now after this patch then? If so, I am happy, or happier rather...