Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Would you like to see constant companions?

MalavarTCOne
MalavarTCOne
✭✭✭
A companion you can have forever/switchout like past Elder Scrolls games. For example a mage or fighter companion, or even a main character like the dreadful Lucian Lechance!
Edited by MalavarTCOne on 23 May 2014 06:20
"To steal from a god is most unwise" -Nocturnal

Would you like to see constant companions? 95 votes

Yes
32%
i3luemrld_ESOlink428Gilvothtilolyen_ESOJJDrakkenMercutioSer LoboValerienrawne1980b16_ESOAlienSlofaoa_xb16_ESOb92303008rwb17_ESOstasa1981eb17_ESOwafffllesssMisanthropySandmanninjaozm8eyNinnghizhiddaNox_AeternaAelya 31 votes
No
46%
Vanathidannymcgr81b14_ESOotis67ers101284b14_ESOWhimsyDragonCinnamon_SpiderLeggitEliteZSeroczynskifyendiarb16_ESOSoupDragonYakidafiMoranaSaerydothjanusztenzezduneb17_ESOForTheRealmzeuseasonAurilis_Sungazetourerttrwb17_ESOVaam 44 votes
Yes... but only for open world/non-dungeon areas.
21%
kevlarto_ESOMel_oracleb14a_ESOwickanb16_ESOVampsThe_SpAwNthenshi13b16_ESOwoutervanjellob16_ESOCaskinphaneub17_ESOWraithseer_ESOPurpleFoxmagpiethorntk421Custos91Con64LovelyDrezaemSargusVlaxitovvengance89 20 votes
  • nez
    nez
    ✭✭✭
    That idea never crossed my mind! Lol that'd be something. I cant even imagine playing this game with a companion, only thing that comes to my mind is that it would be too easy, but i'd love to try it out :D
    Na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na Batmaaaan
  • Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    You mean some sort of dummy character that follows you around earwigging your conversations and stands picking it's nose while you get slaughtered by the new VR mobs?

Yeah, why not.

It could sing 'Brave Sir Robin' too.
    'Clever' sigs get old real fast - just like this one.
  • CombatBeard
    CombatBeard
    ✭✭✭
    I'd just like to see NPC companions not casually walk through traps.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Mate , only ES had actually went out of my way to have one was skyrim , i got Vilja , which is a mod companion , and she made made the game a LOT better.

Having companions with you was one of the things i liked the most in SW:TOR.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • MalavarTCOne
    MalavarTCOne
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

Good example, I forgot SWTOR had companions, haven't played it in a year. ESO Thread Supervisors, GET THIS TO YOUR HIGHUPS and make this a THING! :smile:
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Would i like to see constant companions?

my god man "YES"
    "ABSOLUTELY" !!!

i have been asking for the compainion option since i believe 2012 when i first heard about eso but everyone told me to "shut it" and that "it will never happen."

i pray to sithis i get a darkbrotherhood companion! :)

EDIT: since im a duel wield dagger user and stealth my companion better be a constant sneak same as me!
    Edited by Gilvoth on 23 May 2014 06:32
  • Ardeni
    Ardeni
    ✭✭
    No
    I don't really like the idea in an MMO. Seeing everybody running with an npc would be weird and could cause trouble when, for example, waiting for people to attempt a dolmen or a world boss. It is already annoying enough to see multiple versions of the same npcs in some quests where you get a companion (who does 1-10 damage to mobs anyways and has a potential to get stuck) when there are plenty of people around doing the same quest. At least the devs named the npcs who follow other players so that they're something generic such as "mage guild adept" instead of a named character.
  • Vlaxitov
    Vlaxitov
    ✭✭✭
    I could probably continue solo questing through my VR3 solo content if we got something like that atm.
  • tilolyen_ESO
    tilolyen_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Would love an NPC companion if they didn't stand around like they do now reenacting the Chris Brown / Rhianna relationship.
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Though I like the idea when I had a companion in FF14 1.0 and SWTOR I found myself grouping with people less and doing more by myself. This game already allows you to solo a lot of it or play together but something like a companion would push it more toward solidarity and solo play in the game.
  • ciannait
    ciannait
    ✭✭✭
    Ideally, that's what my husband would be for...
  • MalavarTCOne
    MalavarTCOne
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    ciannait wrote: »
    Ideally, that's what my husband would be for...

I wish it was the same case for me but my wife and I play ESO on my computer, hers would blow up if she put it on hers :stuck_out_tongue:

• david271749
    david271749
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh
  • Lovely
    Lovely
    ✭✭✭
    I already have a pet following me around (my man <3) but yes, I would like companions. Provided they were smart enough not to get in my way and I wouldn't be able to kill them.

In Skyrim I got the dog. He got in my way and I accidentally killed him. It broke my heart. I reloaded from an earlier save but the stress of managing the companions was too much for it to be worth it. So I sent the pooch home and never used any companions ever again.
    Edited by Lovely on 23 May 2014 06:51
  • ciannait
    ciannait
    ✭✭✭
    Lovely wrote: »
    I already have a pet following me around (my man <3) but yes, I would like companions. Provided they were smart enough not to get in my way and I wouldn't be able to kill them.

In Skyrim I got the dog. He got in my way and I accidentally killed him. It broke my heart. I reloaded from an earlier save but the stress of managing the companions was too much for it to be worth it. So I send the pooch home and never used any companions ever again.

I had a mod for "dovahbit" but he'd always be disappearing or catching aggro while I stealthed around (and he didn't, silly rabbit). Companions are more trouble than they're worth.
  • ZurinArctus
    ZurinArctus
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I remember submitting feedback for this back in beta.

I think it would an awesome addition as you could truly play then ANY PLAY STYLE as they've repeatedly advertised. Right now, you'll be loading up specific bars with synergized weapon and armor sets. You really cannot play any way you want and expect to win.

With a three archetypical companion system, you could compliment any archetype of your own: DPS with tank, tank with healer, healer with tank, DPS with healer, etc.

It would be awesome to be able to pick up a companion at Inns, with each Inn offering different styles of companions. Even better if you could further customize them yourself.

I'd prefer a EQ style of mercenary over FFXI companion ... where you could pay an hourly upkeep to temporarily hire the companion or pay a larger one time fee to have them indefinitely.
  • MalavarTCOne
    MalavarTCOne
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I remember submitting feedback for this back in beta.

I think it would an awesome addition as you could truly play then ANY PLAY STYLE as they've repeatedly advertised. Right now, you'll be loading up specific bars with synergized weapon and armor sets. You really cannot play any way you want and expect to win.

With a three archetypical companion system, you could compliment any archetype of your own: DPS with tank, tank with healer, healer with tank, DPS with healer, etc.

It would be awesome to be able to pick up a companion at Inns, with each Inn offering different styles of companions. Even better if you could further customize them yourself.

I'd prefer a EQ style of mercenary over FFXI companion ... where you could pay an hourly upkeep to temporarily hire the companion or pay a larger one time fee to have them indefinitely.

This would also be able to justify their major hits and nerfs to NB or other veterans who want to solo late game.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

This would also be able to justify their major hits and nerfs to NB or other veterans who want to solo late game.

as long as the hireling can go into and stay in stealth with me untill i engage in combat and then the hireling would support me in whom i atack then yes it would be perfect.
    but if im in stealth and that hireling is just following me out in the open and attracting every mobb around to my duel wield nightblade? then no id be dead constantly.

Edited by Gilvoth on 23 May 2014 10:18
  • waylander48
    waylander48
    ✭✭
    No
    not if they act like the queen in aldmeri at low level as much use as a chocolate teapot.
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Mate , only ES had actually went out of my way to have one was skyrim , i got Vilja , which is a mod companion , and she made made the game a LOT better.

Vilja was in Oblivion too.

In fact that's where she started.

The lass that made that mod did it first for Oblivion and then completely remade it for Skyrim.
  • Mercutio
    Mercutio
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Censorious wrote: »

It could sing 'Brave Sir Robin' too.

Beat me to it. Yes, would love that.

The problem with arguing with a jackass is that they never stop braying.
    #DwemerLife
  • Prokonto
    Prokonto
    ✭✭✭
    No
    no... more skill less faceroll. companions do some piece of work for u. better make some grouping system with sense. C.o with live person is much much funny than with dummy.

edit: besides u got permament comps in game allredy. mage with 2-3 minions at once? it is little ridicolous allredy...
    Edited by Prokonto on 23 May 2014 10:56
  • Vamps
    Vamps
    Soul Shriven
    Absolutely yes, i really think this is exactly what the game was missing! I couldnt think of what it was before, now i know! Thanks :)
    Although i voted for it to be available in non-dungeon areas. Might be a bit chaotic in dungeons.
  • Iceman_mat
    Iceman_mat
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but

Don't implement it now.

In my mind I am picturing something like a marriage npc (like in skyrim) who minds your house / store (player housing) so that when you enter another players home said npc would say "my husband / wife is out at the moment, would you care to buy some of our wares?" or customizable speech such as "gtfo our house".

Also npc doesn't need to be a marriage npc if you have RL husband / wife (rl op, nerf rl?) and could just be a hireable merchant npc / house sitter which could tie into keeping npc / players thieves from robbing you (thieves guild whaaaat) depending on the level of your npc (another skill tree for npc management? whaaaat) which then could link into (see previous examples) a guard npc (for said house) which could have a squire (oh *** role playing up in here) that doesn't follow you around (because he / she is helping their knight) but can be called on (fallout new vegas ranger styles) to assist you with difficult mobs outside of PVP / Dungeons.

Yea. Your mind just got blown. :P :D.

And yes, the example given could be swapped with thief npc / dark brother hood / mage guild / fighter guild which would all combine (possibly) under a npc management skill tree (like blacksmithing)

-Cheers
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Only if they can help in combat & I'm not talking about the trash help you get from certain quest npc's.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • LadyDestiny
    LadyDestiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I think it would be kind of interesting providing they actually did something to help besides standing idly by watching you die...........lol
    Edited by LadyDestiny on 23 May 2014 13:24
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Companions are a great 'handicap'. Keep them out of PvP, though.

By handicap, I mean this: if you complete something competitive (veteran dungeon/trials) with a companion, you get a separate scoreboard and time. If you do it without a companion, this is also noted.

My archer would LOVE to have an in-your-face companion to run ahead of me and aggro mobs.
    Ruze Aulus. Mayor of Dhalmora. Archer, hunter, assassin. Nightblade.
    Gral. Mountain Terror. Barbarian, marauder, murderer. Nightblade.
    Na'Djin. Knight-Blade. Knight, vanguard, defender. Nightblade.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Companions are a great 'handicap'. Keep them out of PvP, though.

By handicap, I mean this: if you complete something competitive (veteran dungeon/trials) with a companion, you get a separate scoreboard and time. If you do it without a companion, this is also noted.

My archer would LOVE to have an in-your-face companion to run ahead of me and aggro mobs.

You cannot ride mounts in certain area's; surely the same could be applied to companions. Go into a dungeon, world bosses & dolmens & they are not available.
    Edited by phairdon on 23 May 2014 13:56
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)