Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

The misconception of "be what you wanna be"

Bhakura
Bhakura
✭✭✭✭
Ok, so theres tons of threads out there that use this line as an excuse to grief. "You cant be what you wanna be, because you have to use this or this to get passed stuff"
But its not what ZoS meant.
You CAN be what you wanna be, you can have whatever you want. You wanna play with a sorcerer that does pewpew with a bow in heavy armor, go ahead. You wanna go toe to toe with molag Bal and have 0 skills equiped, hey its your life but, go right ahead.

Did they mean that everything you can come up with will be able to get pass stuff?
NO
It still requires you to find solutions to overcome certain content.
The game would be stupendously easy if a guy with 0 skills equiped could get passed Molag Bal would it.
But you can be that, no one is stopping you for doing so.
So please stop using this line as an excuse to grief, its like used in every "this game is to hard" thread, its getting ridiculous.
  • Sunrock
    Sunrock
    ✭✭✭
    Some times I wish the ban all the fan boys from the forum as they do more harm the good. You have no clue what they mean with the "You cant be what you wanna be" complaints.

The game forces all players to be "mages" because all good skills are magica based and all underpowered abilities use stamina. Only thing that stamina is good for is to sprint and to roll dodge with... Well blocking to a degree too.

A Stamina heavy "warrior" build that focus on weapons should be a viable option to being a "mage". Making all class abilities use magica is what makes this what forces every one to use the same builds. Would have been better if they mixed stamina and magica as a resource in the class abilities.
  • Custos91
    Custos91
    ✭✭✭
    I am exactly what I want to be, and because I want to be a healer i seems to suck at playing a DPSbuild xD
    And actually I beated Molag bal with only using 1 abbility and weapon attacks^^
    And on top of that:
    No magicka only buildy for templat around, we have to roll hybrid builds if we want to do damage^^
    Most of the class skills are simply to cheap/strong on all other classes, thats why you have this impression!
    Warden Main apparently... 7 Wardens currently, otherwise a healer of every class.
    Mostly active in No CP PVP on EU, blaming the buffbot meta in pve.
    I want to feel like I am saving somebodies life, not like I am carrying amunition for them...
  • Sunrock
    Sunrock
    ✭✭✭
    Custos91 wrote: »
    I am exactly what I want to be, and because I want to be a healer i seems to suck at playing a DPSbuild xD
    And actually I beated Molag bal with only using 1 abbility and weapon attacks^^
    And on top of that:
    No magicka only buildy for templat around, we have to roll hybrid builds if we want to do damage^^
    Most of the class skills are simply to cheap/strong on all other classes, thats why you have this impression!

Between level 1-50 you can use what ever crap build you want and face roll the content. But when you get to about VR 3+ that is starting to become harder and harder.

Try to do any VR content as a healer with soft capping stamina and ignoring max magica. Com back to me when you are VR7 or higher and tell me how good your build is
  • Custos91
    Custos91
    ✭✭✭
    I am VR 10, actually I am VR 10 since a week now^^
    I die if I make mistakes, thats for sure, but I don't die if I don't make mistakes, and I am very ok with that, I tried different DPS builds I habe 254 skillpoints atm and I only use either my heiling build or a more defensive approach with eclipse and volcanic rune for leveling, without these controll tools I die, but 2 handed templars are standing there and laughing at me, because they just charge in and kill everything while I need more then 3 - 5 minutes for a single mob pack^^
    But its my choice and I will play this way, I needed more then double the time a normal player in my guild needed to reach VR 10 but I am still happy with it!
    I don't understand that stamina thing? Why should I do that? I don't like a single stamina abbility, not a single one^^ Stamina is for rolling, breaking and blocking, no need to softcap that! I won't do a stupid thing, and healer and stamina doesn't work^^
    Edited by Custos91 on 23 May 2014 09:40
    Warden Main apparently... 7 Wardens currently, otherwise a healer of every class.
    Mostly active in No CP PVP on EU, blaming the buffbot meta in pve.
    I want to feel like I am saving somebodies life, not like I am carrying amunition for them...
  • Bhakura
    Bhakura
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sunrock wrote: »

Try to do any VR content as a healer with soft capping stamina and ignoring max magica. Com back to me when you are VR7 or higher and tell me how good your build is

This line alone is what i mean with misconception.
    What kind of half-assed build is a healer with no magicka but full stamina? Theres not a single heal that uses stamina ...
    Im not condemning you for using that build, but if the intention as you say was to be a healer you pretty much failed ... horribly.
    But you wanted a fail healer, well you made one and you have it, now dont go bashing on ZoS because you made a build that dont work while they stated you can be whatever you want.
    They never stated "you can be whatever you want and be succesfull no matter what you do", if that was the case, yea you are absolutely right and a stamina based healer should work.

• Diaboli
    Diaboli
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for saying it @Bhakura‌, I agree 100%. I can't believe the complaints some people have about this game. It makes me wonder if they ever completed a single elder scrolls game without cheating. Oblivion was nearly impossible to beat without using a gold exploit, Skyrim was easier, but still very hard. I think ESO is a cakewalk by comparison. I can't speak for morrowind, I didn't play it.

On the other side, I wish I could help some of these people. Here's some tips:

Find a role: Tank, Heals or DPS, you have to be able to fill one of these roles in a group. If you don't fit one of those roles, you're gonna have a bad time. The good news is, pretty much anything can DPS. The aforementioned bow-sorc with no slotted skills. Go crazy.

Craft your own gear: Self Explanitory. If it's complicated, there are crafting guides all over the forums. Just google it, you will thank yourself for taking the time.

Make an alt: If you're frustrated, it happens to the best of us. Work off some stress by leveling a new alt. Maybe something outside of your normal comfort zone. This is also a good way to test what will or what will not work for your main. You gotta test the waters here and there, plus, an alt is a better way to get easy greens and blues to disassemble for crafting.

Join some guilds: Learn from other players, there is no shame in it. All the advice I am giving came from other people to me at some point.

I remember playing WoW in the early 2000s, trying to tank in arms spec, getting thrown out of groups because well, I was a horrible tank that wanted to be Conan. Once I learned my role, I gained more respect from the community, from there, I moved on to bigger, better games and ended up leading guilds, going on massive raids, PVP, etc.

It's within your grasp, but you have to be flexible enough to be a part of the world you're in.
    If I throw a dog a bone, I don't care to know how it tastes... - Brick Top
  • Lodestar
    Lodestar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bhakura wrote: »
    Ok, so theres tons of threads out there that use this line as an excuse to grief. "You cant be what you wanna be, because you have to use this or this to get passed stuff"
    But its not what ZoS meant.
    You CAN be what you wanna be, you can have whatever you want. You wanna play with a sorcerer that does pewpew with a bow in heavy armor, go ahead. You wanna go toe to toe with molag Bal and have 0 skills equiped, hey its your life but, go right ahead.

Did they mean that everything you can come up with will be able to get pass stuff?
    NO
    It still requires you to find solutions to overcome certain content.
    The game would be stupendously easy if a guy with 0 skills equiped could get passed Molag Bal would it.
    But you can be that, no one is stopping you for doing so.
    So please stop using this line as an excuse to grief, its like used in every "this game is to hard" thread, its getting ridiculous.

Then that is what they should have said. I honestly think ZOS used that line to hook as many people as possible. So, I can not say as I have much sympathy with a marketing team that used that line to death, deliberately ambiguously to rake in sales.

Now, maybe you ought to take a leaf out your own book, and not post things telling people what you don't like and telling them to stop. You can always choose not to read such posts and move on.

For myself I think it would help now, if ZOS actually spoke to us with their intended interpretation, and showed a few devs playing certain builds in detail and how they use them. Serving suggestions if you will. That would help bridge the gap for me at least.