Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

How exactly do chests, cabinets, drawers, etc. work?

taylorwilenskiub17_ESO
So I've been looking around for a while now for motifs since the 'nerf' and have still not found a single motif. Granted I don't spend my entire day farming for them, but I do check every nook and cranny of every NPC house and building I come across during my travels. Yet, to no avail I have not found a single one.

This struck some curiosity; I am a little confused as to how chests, cabinets, drawers, etc. work. Specifically when do they reset to have loot in them again? Seems as though everytime I go into an NPC house / building, it's already been looted. It's getting quite frustrating and maybe knowing would ease my frustration.

Thanks in advance for any info
  • ShintaiDK
    ShintaiDK
    ✭✭✭
    Server reboot. Its a broken system it seems.
  • vyal
    vyal
    ✭✭✭
    Similar to many knee-jerk reactions from Zenimax, the attempt to stop botters taking advantage of a system has affected legitimate players too. Or put another way, the dragnet is not particular.

Whatever mechanism they're using now, normal players are presumed guilty of cheating/hacking/exploiting/botting. Otherwise, normal players would have the same drop rate as previously. Alas, such an elegant solution is apparently beyond the skill of Zenimax developers.

Personally, I feel all the motifs should be:
    - wrapped into quests to obtain them at the intended levels.
    OR
    - simply made available on vendors for a large fee, as a money sink.
    OR
    - changed to be bind on pickup and made as common as previously.

Any of these solutions is better than changing the drop rate from .1% to 0.001% along with some other "zomg, you're a cheater, no motif for you, nub" spaghetti code they put in 1.0.6.
  • mj8411ub17_ESO
    mj8411ub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    So I've been looking around for a while now for motifs since the 'nerf' and have still not found a single motif. Granted I don't spend my entire day farming for them, but I do check every nook and cranny of every NPC house and building I come across during my travels. Yet, to no avail I have not found a single one.

just imagine how happy you'll be when your just running along and decide to open a random crate and BAM! ....daedric motif

• cabbageub17_ESO
    cabbageub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Bound on pick up all that's needed. Bound to acct though not character.
  • Akhratos
    Akhratos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Level36 EP started after the "fix".

Completed every single zone up to the rift. All quests, dungeons, visited every home, looted every dresser/nightstand...

Got a breton motif book as a gift from a guildmate that felt sorry for me. Then I came along an arghonian in the guild store for 600g, a dunmer for 750g, an altnerd for 900g...

Not a single one dropped.
  • babylon
    babylon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Exactly. Motifs and recipes should be bind on pickup (bound to account). Then return drop rates back to what they were previously.

Only person this hurts is the goldsellers/exploiters. Normal players who just want to craft would get to play as always. The economy should never be based on RNG loot, it should be based on hard work and effort.
  • Kalann_Pander
    Kalann_Pander
    ✭✭✭
    Bound on pick up all that's needed. Bound to acct though not character.

+1.
    Anything that kicks RMT in the groin.

Since the nerf, I've found a couple every week, so I guess you just have bad luck, sorry.
    Opinions are like buttholes : Everybody has one, and they usually stink.

3 things to reduce stamina/magicka imbalance :
    - Use magicka to block abilities costing magicka, instead of stamina.
    - Add % damage reduction to heavy armor.
    - Add block penetration to 2H.
  • Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind a decreased drop rate. But currently it's zero since all containers are empty wherever I go. I can be happy if I stumble across an unlooted backpack in the boondocks.
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!"
  • Galen_the_Black
    Galen_the_Black
    Soul Shriven
    Not true. I too thought that the motif drop is rare, but at level 29 as of this morning I finally completed all 9 basic races. of those 9 2 were bought. 1 for 400g and another as a trade for an Argonian motif.

I also sold 2 other motifs as they were duplicates of ones that I already got.

I've only been playing for 3 weeks so I don't see the drop rates too bad. Getting the rarer motif's should be harder but since I take my time playing I should be able to get them eventually.

Just my 2 Septims
    Just my 2 Septims.
  • taylorwilenskiub17_ESO
    Not true. I too thought that the motif drop is rare, but at level 29 as of this morning I finally completed all 9 basic races. of those 9 2 were bought. 1 for 400g and another as a trade for an Argonian motif.

I also sold 2 other motifs as they were duplicates of ones that I already got.

I've only been playing for 3 weeks so I don't see the drop rates too bad. Getting the rarer motif's should be harder but since I take my time playing I should be able to get them eventually.

Just my 2 Septims

I've been searching for motifs since Veteran rank 1, I am now Veteran rank 6 and haven't found anything.
  • LIQUID741
    LIQUID741
    ✭✭✭
    BoP...or quest related. Would love to see them quest related.
    Solid-Nightblade of AD
  • Phantax
    Phantax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whole containers thing is seriously bugged -

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/95240/empty-bugged-loot-containers-bug-keeping-count/p1

Hopefully the next round of fixes (not 1.1) will address this issue !
    High Elf Sorcerer VR12 - Destro / Resto Staff
    I'm a werewolf. If you vamps don't like it.... Bite me !
    We're not retreating... we're advancing in a different direction !
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep finding the lower-level motifs even after the nerf. Have 8 in the bank now that I'm hoping to trade for the ones I'm missing (got 3 crafters with almost all common motifs on them).
  • Nickdorlandb16_ESO
    Nickdorlandb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I get them quite often, once a week.. after nerf if found Ancient elf, Barbaric 2x, and primal.. So its oke
  • Trenchfoot
    Trenchfoot
    ✭✭
    How do these containers work? By never having anything in them that's how lol
    Edited by Trenchfoot on 22 May 2014 09:29
  • Trenchfoot
    Trenchfoot
    ✭✭
    Personally, I think that the rare motifs and recipes should be rare bound to account finds from containers but there should be also be a selection available through crafting quests.

For example, take myself as a provisioner and I want to be able to make VR epic food. Currently the recipes are rarer than virginal prostitutes, so imagine if you did a quest/quest chain for an npc who eventually gave you the option to pick from a selection of recipes. This could be done scaling throughout the entire levelling process, so common recipes at lower levels going all the way up to VR epics.

Same for the equipment professions. You could do a certain quest or quests and get to pick from rare motifs or hard to find traits for example.

As an alchemist you could get to learn to make potions that you otherwise would not have been able to discover yourself.

Things like that, you know :)
    Edited by Trenchfoot on 22 May 2014 09:28
  • JinShepard01
    JinShepard01
    ✭✭✭
    What bugs me the most is the 80% of the desks, trunks etc being empty, or they arent and you open then and nothing comes out of them!!! If they changed the droprate from 0.1% to 0.001% it is still favouring bots over real players, because only those with bot programms will get them unless you're very lucky, so they in hindsight promote the use of bots to get motifs!

its the same with the stupid 'bandage' of 5 min cd between any boss for loot chance, legit players get punished. How many times did I miss out on something because I happen to came across 2 bosses within 5 mins.
    Why do people complain?
    ''Because players want to provide feedback and help shape a product they still see as having the potential to be great.''
  • taylorwilenskiub17_ESO
    Trenchfoot wrote: »
    Personally, I think that the rare motifs and recipes should be rare bound to account finds from containers but there should be also be a selection available through crafting quests.

For example, take myself as a provisioner and I want to be able to make VR epic food. Currently the recipes are rarer than virginal prostitutes, so imagine if you did a quest/quest chain for an npc who eventually gave you the option to pick from a selection of recipes. This could be done scaling throughout the entire levelling process, so common recipes at lower levels going all the way up to VR epics.

Same for the equipment professions. You could do a certain quest or quests and get to pick from rare motifs or hard to find traits for example.

As an alchemist you could get to learn to make potions that you otherwise would not have been able to discover yourself.

Things like that, you know :)

I actually really like this idea.