Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

A look back in time (Elder Scrolls History)

Audigy
Audigy
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
A quick look back in history, maybe its interesting for some players here, especially those who didn't play the previous ES games.

Arena: 1994

I remember how the game was actually meant to be an Arena game with gladiatorial combat. You as a player were supposed to travel the world and challenge NPC´s to become the grand champion. During the development process they added side quest´s and RPG elements which later become more important than the actual Gladiator business so that this was discarded.

The game also shipped with a day & night cycle, which was quite revolutionary back then, as the shop keepers and NPC´s really went to bed so to speak. But also the game world was huge, bigger than at the newer ES games. As example, it took several hours to travel to "neighborhood" town or even days to a distant one.

That the game was still released as Arena was mainly due the fact that they already labeled the CD´s and boxes like that and it would had cost them too much to change that ;)

The story itself was about Uriel who was kidnapped and to rescue him you had to find 8 magical pieces of a staff to challenge Jagar Tharn.

Game is F2P now, so those that are interested can download it and run it on Dosbox.

Daggerfall: 1996

Two years after Arena, Daggerfall came out.

It offered a great freedom to its players and everything you did had a real consequence including six different endings.
As for example, if you failed in your rescue attempt then you could meet the wife of the poor guy that died earlier and she would behave different than she would if you had rescued the guy. Some could think that with the guy out of the way, the women might fall for you - that however is a mystery I could never solve ;)

I honestly have not seen something similar in an RPG before, something with such a depth and randomness, where every step matters.

The main quest itself involved uncovering the plot in regards of King Lysandus death as he was ghosting around at night. Daggerfall also offered a huge political system, so that you could become an evil assassin, some type of diplomat due the political system with factions, but also a vampire ;)

The Char design was made by a questionnaire system, where you had to answer specific questions that then defined who you were. Also the quest system was quite unique, as you were able to do random quests, with again consequences as described above.

Besides that you had a spell craft system, where you could combine various spell effect´s into one single spell.

Last but not least, back in the days the weather effect´s like snow or rain were really a big step in the gaming world and the regions of Hammerfell and High Rock were even bigger than Arena before.

The game is now also F2P and can be downloaded at the Bethesda Homepage.

Morrowind: 2002

As the title suggests you played at Morrowind with the dark elves / Dunmer. As in the previous game you had several ways of playing and did not had to follow the main quest as protector of Morrowind.
As example you could become a sneaky thief or an Archmage and the basic char development was pretty free, based on what things you did. So you acquired more points in strength as example, by using swords.

The big thing about Morrowind was the Construction kit, which allowed active modding and bug fixing by the community, but also the jump in regards of the graphics. Especially inside buildings or the water / weather were great.

The game itself was now no longer random, but pre coded which resulted in a smaller world than the games before, where every item house was placed in advance so to speak. Elder Scrolls was now also no longer PC only and came out on Xbox as well.

I remember how proud the Devs were about the variety in the world that they created. You could pick up all those things like bread, drinking cups etc. while enjoying the beautiful sunrises that enhanced the gaming world. It was also possible to use Crossbows now, not that I ever used one... -> bow person.

It was considered a challenge to have a good standing with all factions, as some of them had opposite goals in Morrowind.

The Tribunal addon featured the dark brotherhood which tried to kill you, while Bloodmoon brought werewolf's back, including the ability to become one of them.

Oblivion: 2006

This played at Cyrodil and you had to strike down the invasion from Oblivion by the Deadra.

A huge jump was made in regards of the NPC AI and how you could interact with movable objects. I loved playing as a Thief there, robbing high decorated towns folk. ;) or just chatting with everyone I came across (about 50 hours of voice acting)

The game itself was a lot easier than previous games, especially in comparison to Arena where most players died at least once in the first dungeon and some never made it out of there alive. :blush:

Not only the difficulty was lowered, but also the immersion. As example, your compass now showed points of interest and locations to quests.

Skyrim: 2011

For some players the best Elder Scrolls game after Daggerfall, especially with HD textures and mods a wonderful looking game, with a pretty open world and Dragons! Right from the start the player is confronted with the dragons and you slowly learn about what a Dragonborn is and that shouting is part of your story.

Snowy mountains, animals, random NPC´s, tons of quests and dungeons and an open class system based on perks are things that players usually remember about the game. I am ashamed to say, that I never finished the game myself or any of the DLC´s. But I can say that I loved the mods to this game, some modders even coded a whole new world and I believe one of them has gained a job in the gaming industry now.

One of the big features in my eyes was the companion system and the ability to have a whole family including same sex relationships. You could for instance adopt a child (DLC), marry your companion or random NPC towns folk and then move into a house with them.

Bethesda received big critiques by its gamers for the Steam support, as it required that you have an online connection if you wanted to play.
Edited by Audigy on 21 May 2014 19:26
  • Zhoyzu
    Zhoyzu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    interesting.
    Zhoyzu - Nightblade Alchemist (v15) RETIRED
    Has-No-Heart - Templar Enchanter (v4) FUBAR
    Ambadassador - Dragon knight (v1) Naked with no future (returned from the naked realm to tank PvE)
    Sakis Tolis - Sorceror (v10 in progress) Living Legend!

Xuhl'Xotuun - Warden Current Main as im starting the game over essentially with this character aside from crafting.

Creator of Khajiit fall dmg reduction racial passive concept.

• Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Redguard & Battlespire are missing from this list, both being set in Tamriel but not having a TES number
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahhh the memories.

But yu did miss Redguard and Battlespire.

Here is a fun fact....

People claim to have been wanting multiplayer in Elder Scrolls games for a while yet Battlespire DID have multiplayer and PvP deatmatches.
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rawne1980b16_ESO‌

That was cool, would be fun to battle someone elses character in tes:m/o/s :)
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Battlespire was originally an expansion for Daggerfall, but was released seperately, so lore wise is an addendum to daggerfall.

Redguard was a pure actiongame, and therefore the OP has not included it in this list of RPGs.

This info was taken from Wikipedia, so has a larger than average possibility of being wrong. :lol:
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Redguard was more a 3rd person action/adventure game.

I think it was more of an attempt to coin in on Tomb Raiders success at the time.

It was an okay game but nothing special.

And, in this instance at least, Wikipedia is right. Battlespire was meant as an expansion to Daggerfall. At the time some of us were expecting just that.

We didn't have home internet back then so all we got was what we read in magazines and second hand information from people we knew. You hear a rumour that Daggerfall has an expansion coming and it sticks.

• isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Redguard was more a 3rd person action/adventure game.

I think it was more of an attempt to coin in on Tomb Raiders success at the time.

It was an okay game but nothing special.

And, in this instance at least, Wikipedia is right. Battlespire was meant as an expansion to Daggerfall. At the time some of us were expecting just that.

We didn't have home internet back then so all we got was what we read in magazines and second hand information from people we knew. You hear a rumour that Daggerfall has an expansion coming and it sticks.

Ah, I miss the BBS days. My home city didn't get a decent internet provider until 1997; before that (local private) company started up and offered a monthly rate, you dialed long distance and paid by the hour. The community was so (comparatively) small, yes, rumours would spread like wildfire, and be just as hard to stomp out.
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback, I can add the two missing games if you like ;) So far I focused on the RPG (main ES titles).

There is also missing "ES Travels", which was for mobile phones - anyone played that?
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Redguard locked up my PC solid and I was never able to play it.
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember seeing a 'beat Morrowind in 16 minutes' (don't recall it's title now) video some years ago which was exactly that, a video from the moment a character appears in the hold of the ship to the moment they beat the big baddie and get the end reward.
    Edited by KerinKor on 22 May 2014 13:01
  • Moonscythe
    Moonscythe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KerinKor wrote: »
    I remember seeing a 'beat Morrowind in 16 minutes' (don't recall it's title now) video some years ago which was exactly that, a video from the moment a character appears in the hold of the ship to the moment they beat the big baddie and get the end reward.

Really? That would be really hard since there is so much to do in the Main Quest before you ever get to the final boss. I preferred the journey.
    Scura di Notte - Altmer Nightblade (gear)
    Lalin del Sombra - Bosmer Sorcerer (alchemy/enchanting)
    Angevin Sarkany - Bosmer Dragonknight
    Alkemene Velothi - Dunmer Warden (Morrowind)
    Sanna yos'Phalen - Altmer Sorcerer (provisioning)
    Cosima di Mattina -Altmer Sorcerer
    Naria Andrano - Dunmer Templar
    Luca della Serata - Redguard Templar
  • jbfroik
    jbfroik
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so glad these guys are on the level that they are now. Its like watching your favorite band hit it big and then everyone complains because they don't get it :p