Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Charging for C.O.D. fees.

zinoviy22b14_ESO
zinoviy22b14_ESO
✭✭✭
So I like to buy things from zone, and time to time I get asked to pay the C.O.D fee as well, I do but I feel its more for a tax on the seller then the buyer. What do you think.
Edited by zinoviy22b14_ESO on 21 May 2014 06:18

Charging for C.O.D. fees. 82 votes

Yes, they want my goods, they pay the shipping fees.
68%
indytims_ESOClansman2013Shillenthecfi32_ESOzshadez_ESONordJitsujaybo1727AltDeLeetCybrdroydGreevirJade_Knightblazerb14_ESOLeeshaAlurriasnowmanflvb14_ESOWizzo91dolanjamieb16_ESOforbarcusb16_ESOAballisterEzikielStormlioslinn 56 votes
No, the fees should be on the seller.
31%
jvargas150_ESOOpioidlink428SinisterJointotis67starstruckzinoviy22b14_ESOPierre.Steegb16_ESOElyfbennysbeastb16_ESO2leandro.800ub17_ESOstarkerealmEnkilInsanytisylviermooneLordEcksCowgomooJochamoDDemonPBpsy 26 votes
  • Aballister
    Aballister
    ✭✭✭
    I'll go with buyer
    Dark Elf Sorc(AD)
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tricky thing is... depending on how they apply to the buyer, would this then allow players to troll others by sending them unwanted CODs for ridiculous amounts, to sap out a player's resources? Because, I can guarantee you the bots would be all over that.
  • Boneidle
    Boneidle
    ✭✭
    I think this depends on the situation around the sale really.

For example if the person buying it wants the seller to cod it to them then by all means charge the buyer for post and packaging that's only what happens in real life so all for that.

However if its the person selling it insisting that they want to send it cod because for what ever reason they cant be bothered to meet the buyer then the seller should pay for it as they are the ones who cant be bothered to meet the buyer.

Personally I just meet up with people to buy stuff, but they have reduced cod costs in one of the last patch so am not quite sure what the cost of cod is any more.
    Never retreat, If you turn and run you will only die tired.
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    I voted yes, but really, whenever I spam "WTS" it is followed by "No COD". because it is not worth the hassle to me.

About 1/4 of the buyers will say "well omg I am not buying anything unless it is COD". And my response is always "Ok, no sale. Have a nice day". I don't need to sell anything that bad. I will not pay COD and will never charge it. They need to meet me in person if they want it.
  • Gisgo
    Gisgo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remove COD fees they just force us to meet and trade.
    Im all for gold sinks just dont make them "annoying".
    Id rather pay even more to repair armor.
  • roflcopter
    roflcopter
    ✭✭✭
    I think there should be an option for who pays the COD before sending the item, that way you don't have to futz with the math. It would cut out the debate.

I pay CODs on things I buy, I never ask questions.
    I always ask buyers on items I sell to pay for COD.

Xbox One | NA | AD
    GM - OK LOL
    Warden Stuff
    Ex - Trials Core 1 Runner - Left and couldn't be happier
  • Greevir
    Greevir
    ✭✭✭✭
    I prefer to meet my customer to make the trade. However, if the customer refuses to meet, he can always pay my COD fee.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's pretty simple. If the buyer doesn't wish to make the trip to pick up the goods, then he/she should shoulder the shipping cost.
  • zinoviy22b14_ESO
    zinoviy22b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a new twist. Lets say if the buyer wants to meet, but the seller can't be bothered.
  • Teverus
    Teverus
    ✭✭
    The buyer pays shipping fees. It's the way real life works as well. There are costs to production that the seller is generally supposed to eat. In ESO, these usually take the form of opportunity costs. An opportunity cost is the measure of everything else that could have been had with the time and resources it takes to produce something. If you spend an hour questing to find a rare item, you could have spent that hour reading a book, or doing literally anything else - like crafting, or farming resources. Also, if you spend resources to create an item, you're not charging the worth of the resources in addition to the product, you're charging the worth of the end product - this is another cost absorbed by the seller.

This is why buyers eat the cost of shipping. Their involvement with the product should be "I want that, please get it to me." And if they want the convenience of having the item shipped to them, they should pay for that convenience. It shouldn't be yet another cost of the seller doing business.

Frankly, if a buyer requests that I deliver an item to them personally to avoid the cost, I do so without complaint every time. I consider my horse and I the "free shipping if you don't mind the wait" option, but I don't volunteer it if I'm knee-deep in whispers about my goods because then it's so much more convenient to everyone in my opinion to pay a small fee rather than wait for me to be finished getting goods to all interested parties.
    Edited by Teverus on 21 May 2014 14:51
  • Teverus
    Teverus
    ✭✭
    Here's a new twist. Lets say if the buyer wants to meet, but the seller can't be bothered.

Interesting. If we're talking about a high volume seller who's business model, for whatever reason, requires that they simply send e-mails, I would argue that the buyer should still absorb the shipping fee under certain circumstances. If you're talking about a seller that's just too lazy to consider their customers' needs, then that's pretty bad.

I can't imagine being completely unable to deliver an item personally and it would take significant obstacles to make me consider taking the option off the table. There are plenty of circumstances I can imagine in which I'd offer to pay the cost as the seller, though. If I'm simply unprepared to transact and don't want to turn down an offer regardless, I'd pay for the COD.
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If the buyer doesn't want to pay the C.O.D. fees then he needs to party up with and travel to the seller.

Its really easy to do and its how I do most of my trade. Travel to player is free, don't be lazy.
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • czar
    czar
    ✭✭✭✭
    i always pay the cod when i sell something however, i'm not too bothered about it. why have cod in the game at all though? enlighten me anyone
    stam scrub
  • Insanyti
    Insanyti
    ✭✭✭
    I voted no, only what I meant was I'd find a way to make it work for us both.

Example:
    Selling something for 500g. Let's say (because I don't know the actual math off the top of my head) the CoD fee is 50g.
    Instead of selling for 500g and charging CoD, I'd sell at 525g and call it even. :p
  • Xilc
    Xilc
    ✭✭✭
    I think the COD fees (and shipping fees for that matter) are ridiculous. They basically took after every other MMO and made it costly to send anything. I thought they would make it revolutionary and somehow different, but they just copied after every other game.

Insert disappointment here.
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    CHARGING FOR C.O.D. FEES.

How about do away with the shipping fees.

What am I talking about. Of course there are no shipping fees because everyone uses the fabulous guild stores.

My bad.
    Edited by Blackwidow on 21 May 2014 23:52
  • Xilc
    Xilc
    ✭✭✭
    Blackwidow wrote: »
    CHARGING FOR C.O.D. FEES.

How about do away with the shipping fees.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who supports this. It costs the game nothing to mail something, why charge for it? :neutral_face:
  • link428
    link428
    I'm kind of surprised that I'm in the minority here. If you are selling something for 300 gold, I expect to pay 300 gold. Don't try to weasel a little more out of me. If you want to account for the CoD fee, then just increase your price, and cut out the false advertising.
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    link428 wrote: »
    I'm kind of surprised that I'm in the minority here. If you are selling something for 300 gold, I expect to pay 300 gold. Don't try to weasel a little more out of me. If you want to account for the CoD fee, then just increase your price, and cut out the false advertising.

300 gold + ZOS BS tax. :)

When I say WTS for 300 and you say i'll buy it, I give the option to meet you or COD it, but the COD come out of your pocket.
    Edited by Blackwidow on 22 May 2014 03:14
  • sylviermoone
    sylviermoone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't sell things often in the game. And by that I mean in the 7 weeks or whatever that the game has been live, I only just sold off some excess inventory yesterday.

I had a couple of large transactions, on account that I was sitting on a TON of Rekuta's and a few Kuta's as well. I figure it's going to be quite some time before I can use them, so I may as well sell them to pay for my bank upgrade. I also had a couple of motif books.

I covered the COD on all sales done that way, because, well....why not? It isn't like it cost me anything to get the items, really, and what I made selling them to other players was a great deal more than I would have got vendoring them. Also, I had no idea what the cod fees would be.
    Co-GM, Angry Unicorn Traders: PC/NA
    "Official" Master Merchant Tech Support
    and Differently Geared AF
    @sylviermoone
  • link428
    link428

When I say WTS for 300 and you say i'll buy it, I give the option to meet you or COD it, but the COD come out of your pocket.

Anyone who tries that with me will lose a potential customer. :p I'll just find a more honest seller instead.
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    link428 wrote: »

Anyone who tries that with me will lose a potential customer. :p I'll just find a more honest seller instead.

Fair enough :)
  • Shillen
    Shillen
    ✭✭✭
    If the buyer is unwilling to travel for pickup he should pay the fee.

The seller should let the buyer know that he must pay the fee before sending it though. Just lumping the fee into the COD without any communication is wrong.
    Edited by Shillen on 22 May 2014 03:43
    Please LOL my comments. I'm an aspiring comedian.