Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Targeting and using cover.

BrassRazoo
BrassRazoo
✭✭✭✭✭
When I target (select target) an enemy I do so for a reason.
If there is a mob with a healer or a ranged attacker that stays out back I target them to take them out first.
I lay some mines (Sorc) or some CC and get to work.
If I wanted to target the guy in front of me I would have.
Targeting should mean target, ignore all others.
This just does not work.

Secondly, why do arrows (projectiles) go through walls?
Can you ever take cover in this game?
My target sometimes fails if enemies are behind a wall or strangely clipped over a desk but they can shoot arrows and spells right through two foot walls and pylons.
How is one supposed to evade or use any type of tactical cover if projectiles magically pass through solid objects?

Please improve these mechanisms.

Edited by BrassRazoo on 20 May 2014 23:10
  • pavelcherepanskyrwb17_ESO
    BrassRazoo wrote: »
    If there is a mob with a healer or a ranged attacker that stays out back I target them to take them out first.
    This just does not work.

No it shouldn't. ESO employs different kind of battle mechanics compared to other MMOs. I would suggest reading up on baby duck psychological syndrome:
    In human–computer interaction, baby duck syndrome denotes the tendency for computer users to "imprint" on the first system they learn, then judge other systems by their similarity to that first system. The result is that "users generally prefer systems similar to those they learned on and dislike unfamiliar systems." The issue may present itself relatively early in a computer user's experience, and has been observed to impede education of students in new software systems.

There you go, baby duck :grin:
    Edited by pavelcherepanskyrwb17_ESO on 20 May 2014 23:30
    "Do you want the book or not? Then go whack some people with Wabbajack!!"
  • Catflinger
    Catflinger
    ✭✭✭
    This just does not work.

I'm confused. So when you have two guys standing together, and you target one, you think that the other guy should stand there and not do anything until the first guy is dead and it's his turn? Is this what you're expecting to happen? Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding you.

• Boneidle
    Boneidle
    ✭✭
    I think he is talking about if he targets the healer and the other runs across his path and takes the damage instead. Or at least that's what I am assuming.

What i cant understand is why OP is complaining because I think the combat system is worlds apart from others its more "realistic" in many ways, when you swing a sword at someone you actually have to be in range and facing them. If you shoot something it has to be in your cross hairs. Having said that why on earth if a mob crosses your path when you are shooting should the one behind take the damage when it clearly isn't the one you are aiming at. I would say you need to either find a new tactic in taking them out or aim better.
    Never retreat, If you turn and run you will only die tired.
  • ahstin2001nub18_ESO
    this isnt a "target and kill" game its a "aim and kill" game, there is a difference. i will say the LoS is inconsistent- NPCs can shoot through mobs and walls (not always but usually) where as i can not. i would like to see that not happen, and them have to adhere to the same rules.
    I will work. I will save. I will sacrifice. I will endure. I will fight cheerfully and do my utmost, as if the whole issue of the struggle depended on me alone.

Martin A. Treptow
    1894-1918
  • iluvataris
    iluvataris
    ✭✭
    Targeting does assist a bit, too me its understandable that if someone is directly in front of the player your targeting the player in front would get hit by the arrow.

For the second.. ya.. once the skill fires if the target is visible it seems to hit no matter what. The clipping thing you saying, ya that's annoying when your target is visible but you cant highlight him. you almost have to make your whole body visible or target able.

Things do need to be tightened up a bit.
    ~Iluvataris http://www.youtube.com/user/IluvatarisGaming/videos
    ~Aldmeri dominion Auriel's Bow LB # 13 Nightblade Guest ~ Wabba
  • reggielee
    reggielee
    ✭✭✭✭
    the OP has a valid concern about mobs able to shoot thru solid landscape

the other part I disagree, mobs are intelligent enough to react to your aggression on their counterparts.
    Edited by reggielee on 21 May 2014 00:11
    Mama always said the fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest.
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No it shouldn't. ESO employs different kind of battle mechanics compared to other MMOs. I would suggest reading up on baby duck psychological syndrome:
    In human–computer interaction, baby duck syndrome denotes the tendency for computer users to "imprint" on the first system they learn, then judge other systems by their similarity to that first system. The result is that "users generally prefer systems similar to those they learned on and dislike unfamiliar systems." The issue may present itself relatively early in a computer user's experience, and has been observed to impede education of students in new software systems.

There you go, baby duck :grin:

While interesting, this doesn't really apply here. The OP is complaining about projectiles flying through solid objects. Not because it wasn't that way in a past MMO, he's complaining about it because it's not that way in reality.

I've never played another MMO, and I share all of his feelings about these mechanics. I've gotten used to them, but I don't like them.
    [DC/NA]
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Catflinger wrote: »
    This just does not work.

I'm confused. So when you have two guys standing together, and you target one, you think that the other guy should stand there and not do anything until the first guy is dead and it's his turn? Is this what you're expecting to happen? Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding you.

He means if there's a group of 3 guys, and he targets the one in the back, the projectiles he sends out should ignore the two in the front and hit the guy in the back, because he is targeted. I believe the game will ignore the designated target if another enemy is in your crosshair, which makes things difficult when there are a bunch of enemies in the way of a healer.
    [DC/NA]
  • KrisFahring
    KrisFahring
    ✭✭
    They put an aimbot into the game for the console players. Try this take a bow, aim it at something, and turn around 180 degrees and fire. You'll never miss.

What you are talking about actually makes the most sense. If something stands in front of you they are effectively blocking the other NPC's from your view. This makes more sense than having heat-seeking attacks so to speak.
  • BrassRazoo
    BrassRazoo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why have targeting at all then?

I am a Sorc so use mostly Destro and range spells for DPS.
    I aggro a mob, two Melee one Caster.
    I target the Caster at back who may heal or summon.
    I don't expect for my target to decide to be ignored and hit a guy running at me or who may cross my line of sight.

I assume applying some sort of strategy in the order in which you take out mobs, or even Boss mechanics for instance .. lets say Harvester should actually work.
    Try targeting the Harvesters "balls" from a distance while this and that may run in between.

If the "back" NPC can aim and shoot through the other two NPCs in front of it and hit me, then why can't I?

I can't shoot through walls? Why can they?

That's all I'm saying.
    Edited by BrassRazoo on 21 May 2014 00:36
  • Catflinger
    Catflinger
    ✭✭✭
    badmojo wrote: »
    While interesting, this doesn't really apply here. The OP is complaining about projectiles flying through solid objects. Not because it wasn't that way in a past MMO, he's complaining about it because it's not that way in reality.

I've never played another MMO, and I share all of his feelings about these mechanics. I've gotten used to them, but I don't like them.

I don't encounter this happening very often. I am able to use L.o.S. (Line of Sight) tactics to dodge incoming ranged attacks fairly frequently. Sometimes an elite or a boss will be able pwn me through walls, I guess.
  • Loco_Mofo
    Loco_Mofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Secondly, why do arrows (projectiles) go through walls?
    Can you ever take cover in this game?
    My target sometimes fails if enemies are behind a wall or strangely clipped over a desk but they can shoot arrows and spells right through two foot walls and pylons.
    How is one supposed to evade or use any type of tactical cover if projectiles magically pass through solid objects?

Unfortunately once the NPC fires off a projectile, you can't use the cover to block it. Fire balls, arrows, they'll all track you through walls and all.

It's a really stupid mechanic and it annoys the hell outta me.

Hoping for a fix down the track, but I won't hold my breath.
  • SFBryan18
    SFBryan18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad I'm not the only one to notice this.
    Edited by SFBryan18 on 21 May 2014 02:30
  • Arsenic_Touch
    Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've run into many locations where mobs can hit you ranged attacks but you can't respond in kind. Quite annoying.
    Edited by Arsenic_Touch on 21 May 2014 02:36
    Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

╔═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    "Hope can drown lost in thunderous sound."
    "Fear can claim what little faith remains."
    "Death will take those who fight alone."
    "But united we can break a fate once set in stone."

╚═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

NA // Ebonheart Pact // Leader of CORE Legion // Namira Beta Tester // VR11 NB