Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Spears were almost ingame - why was it not fully implemented?

AnduinTryggva
AnduinTryggva
✭✭✭✭✭
I am currently doing zone quests in reaper's march and did a quest where you visit the realm of Ban daar (Location: Thormar, The dance of the five fingers).

There I saw this:

20240904221622-1.jpg

To me it looks like these are spears that could be thrown at the enemy.

Why was this abandoned?
Edited by AnduinTryggva on 5 September 2024 13:47
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm perfectly happy we have no spears. Hate that sort of weapon....

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate staves but I am ok if other like them and have the opportunity to use them.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But if the devs add spears they're unlikely to add something more fun (for some of us) like one hand and rune....

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

• El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't spear skills be almost identical to Templar's Javelin, Jabs, etc.? We don't need that
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't spear skills be almost identical to Templar's Javelin, Jabs, etc.? We don't need that

Please speak only for yourself and not for every player.

You don't care for it, fine.

Some do.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Please speak only for yourself and not for every player.

You don't care for it, fine.

Some do.

Pretty sure I did just that. But thanks for pointing out that this is a thread for opinions
  • Theist_VII
    Theist_VII
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fun fact, they are already in the game, and are exclusively used as sparring weapons for NPCs. Not quite sure why that is, as there have been Spear weapons in previous TES games, here are two screenshots of them in an NPCs hands that I found after doing a little research.

b99rnhtrjt1f.jpeg
    pyyqsrtj9y14.jpeg
    Edited by Theist_VII on 5 September 2024 15:52
  • TheMajority
    TheMajority
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spears would be amazing. would love to see it. bored with the current weapons and don't want more flashy magic stuff
    Time flies like an arrow- but fruit flies like a banana.

Sorry for my English, I do not always have a translation tool available. Thank you for your patience with our conversation and working towards our mutual understanding of the topic.
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theist_VII wrote: »
    Fun fact, they are already in the game, and are exclusively used as sparring weapons for NPCs. Not quite sure why that is, as there have been Spear weapons in previous TES games, here are two screenshots of them in an NPCs hands that I found after doing a little research.

b99rnhtrjt1f.jpeg
    pyyqsrtj9y14.jpeg

This argonian looks so cool with that spear.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If spears were added they would probably need to be used as mele weapons. Throwing a spear to have it just reappear to throw again seems to me a bit odd.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Heren
    Heren
    ✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »
    If spears were added they would probably need to be used as mele weapons. Throwing a spear to have it just reappear to throw again seems to me a bit odd.

I don't know, you can already throw endless daggers, and now even you shield ( I guess the animation make it look like a boomerang, but anyway ).
  • Drammanoth
    Drammanoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys, if you want spears, staves, torches, etc. go to GW2. You will have that - and so much more.
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drammanoth wrote: »
    Guys, if you want spears, staves, torches, etc. go to GW2. You will have that - and so much more.

It’s true, recently started playing it myself and have been pleasantly surprised by the variety and class identity I have been seeing.
    PvP needs more love.
  • Fata1moose
    Fata1moose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    But if the devs add spears they're unlikely to add something more fun (for some of us) like one hand and rune....

Necromancer is magic based
    Arcanists is magic
    Spellcrafting is magic

It's time for some stamina themed stuff. I would like to see 1H + Destruction but spears first.

Should we not have daggers because the Nightblade has dagger skills?
    Edited by Fata1moose on 5 September 2024 22:10
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necro and Arcanist both have Stam versions, and Stam Arc is way better than Mag Arc.

When it comes to weapons, magica has only one option (staff) while stamina has 3. I'm not counting sword and board because that's tank.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on 5 September 2024 22:11
  • Tenthirty2
    Tenthirty2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heren wrote: »
    kargen27 wrote: »

I don't know, you can already throw endless daggers, and now even you shield ( I guess the animation make it look like a boomerang, but anyway ).

Arrows too.
    Apparently I have a magic Quiver of Endless Arrows that fires special target-homing arrows that vanish after they've finished their flight.

Or maybe I only have 1 magic arrow that never breaks and just teleports back into my quiver after firing o.0
    h5ngy6i41da9.gif

• "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs - horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    • "When my time comes, I will smile. And that will be all." -Sir Nathain Galien
    • IGN: TenThirty2 (PC/PS: NA, PC/PS: EU)
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    Necro and Arcanist both have Stam versions, and Stam Arc is way better than Mag Arc.

When it comes to weapons, magica has only one option (staff) while stamina has 3. I'm not counting sword and board because that's tank.

This is the problem, right here.... You beat me to it.

• Bradyfjord
    Bradyfjord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    I'm perfectly happy we have no spears. Hate that sort of weapon....

Why? It's the most used ancient weapon historically speaking. I personally would enjoy using spear+shield while tanking.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's clunky, ugly and barbarian. Belong with Conan....

• spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it's "barbarian," at all.
  • LamiaCritter
    LamiaCritter
    ✭✭✭
    Hey.
    Y'all already have coutnless melee/stamina weapons a-plenty. Give me a new magicka weapon ;_; At least y'all have multiple choices. I'm still stuck using the same old magical sticks :/
  • PrinceShroob
    PrinceShroob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure that's an adaptation of a quiver model, and the spears shown earlier are just that animation object for the sparring animations--think like the book and quill in the Scholar personality's animation; not an actual item you're holding, just a part of the animation. I think that specific spear model also shows up as set dressing in a few places.

You can obviously run animations using different items as animation objects or without their animations--for example, if you do /sitchair and toggle Hide Your Helm, the chair disappears, and NPCs frequently do chair sitting idles while sitting on things like ledges. A non-Online example is that, in Oblivion, the NPC potion-making animation is reused without the retort and bottle as weaving.

All that is to say, these aren't fully-realized weapons that just weren't implemented, they're just visuals for flavor or animations to improve the world's verisimilitude.

There's something similar to the "quiver of spears" in Dawnguard where the Elder Scroll Serana carries is actually an arrow.
  • JemadarofCaerSalis
    JemadarofCaerSalis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey.
    Y'all already have coutnless melee/stamina weapons a-plenty. Give me a new magicka weapon ;_; At least y'all have multiple choices. I'm still stuck using the same old magical sticks :/

Imagine if the spears were magicka based, like a spear of lighting looks like a thunderbolt....
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey.

Imagine if the spears were magicka based, like a spear of lighting looks like a thunderbolt....

That probably wouldn't feel that different to staves.
  • Theist_VII
    Theist_VII
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I would not mind the Aedric Spear skill line becoming Aedric Warrior with an entire rework away from exclusively spears to allow for the actual weapon type.

Pretty easy to implement too, they could be melee skills with a range of 9 meters instead of 7, with much less horizontal cleave, other than a possible shaft sweep knockback.
    Edited by Theist_VII on 6 September 2024 04:15
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am currently doing zone quests in reaper's march and did a quest where you visit the realm of Ban daar (Location: Thormar, The dance of the five fingers).

There I saw this:

20240904221622-1.jpg

To me it looks like these are spears that could be thrown at the enemy.

Why was this abandoned?

There are npcs somewhere that use those as javelins, I think. They throw them at you and it knocks you back and stuns you and has a very distinctive sound.

I have no idea where I have seen them.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA