Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Light attack weaving troubles. Is my ping too high or something else?

coop500
coop500
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Heya, another question, I know I keep popping up in the forums, sorry about that lol.

I was just playing overland casual since returning from a three year break. Minus two normal dungeons on my tank anyway.
But I noticed I've been trying to practice light attack weaving again and it's.... Incredibly unreliable? I didn't remember the timing being this fickle?
Often times I'll do a light attack and hit my skill button, but no skill comes. Or vice versa, I hit light attack, then a skill, but my character doesn't actually do a light attack and just fires the skill. Is my timing just that dodgy? Or did the devs make weaving harder? Or maybe it's my ping?

So far since playing, my ping is mostly a steady 120, but spiking higher into the red occasionally. Though this inconsistent weaving happens even at 120. Is that just too high of a base ping for competitive numbers?
Wishing for Lilmothiit race still! Or maybe Lilmothiit companion?
  • Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You can do high dps and perfect light attack weaving with +200 ping.

I've seen parses of +130k with +200 ping.

It's just a matter of timing and not hurrying the weaving before the cooldown.

SERVER: NA | PLATFORM: PC | OS: Windows 10 | CLIENT: Steam | ESO PLUS: Yes
  • JiubLeRepenti
    JiubLeRepenti
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are playing on PC, you might want to use some addons to see when you can click/cast your skill, like CombatMetronome.

Personally I would also suggest you to use some very punitive skills that requires weaving, like Elemental Weapon (Mythic skill line), Crystal Weapon (Sorcerer), or Relentless Focus (nightblade). Some sets like Relequen also require a good weaving in order to be fully effective.

Using these skills/sets will ask you a very good weaving and will, in a certain way, "force" you to be rigorous.

I personally think weaving is far easier than what people may think. My personal true nightmare is being able to keep dynamic rotation with all my skills (I currently reach 125k on my magplar but could do better if I was able to properly refresh all my skills).
    BE/FR l PC EU l CP2400
    Just fell in love with housing! House vid: TES III Morrowind biggest fan!
  • ssewallb14_ESO
    ssewallb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They did mess with animations at one point in a way that made the end of a skill animation take precedence over light attacks and blocks (though not bash for some reason). This made some skills harder to weave, Strife probably being the worst offender.

Try more of a "swing" rhythm, as in more time between the skill and light attack than the light attack and the skill.
    Edited by ssewallb14_ESO on 31 August 2024 16:50
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @JiubLeRepenti
    I'd have to disagree on the whole 'weaving is easy' thing, but thank you for the addon mention! I'll give that a gander cause I am indeed on PC!

@ssewallb14_ESO And thank you for the info and suggestion here! I'll try that, and I'm glad I am not crazy, cause combat animations do feel more clunky in general.
    Wishing for Lilmothiit race still! Or maybe Lilmothiit companion?
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes skills just don’t fire and bar swaps just don’t happen. You can look at your skill UI bar and see the button depress and nothing happens. It’s just the state of the game now.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Estin
    Estin
    ✭✭✭✭
    You're going too fast, that's why. You don't want to press them at the same or else you will only light attack or cast the skill. Combat Metronome can help, but you can also first think of it as a heart beat Ba-Dum. The light attack will be the Ba and the skill will be the Dum. You can grab any destro staff and slot elemental susceptibility and practice weaving on a target without worrying about running out of resources since it's a free cast to get a hang of the timings.

I will also say that servers are not good at moment and there will be times where you will do weaving correctly, but skills do not fire. It happens where there's a lot of activity going on and its been getting worse. It doesn't matter if you're in PvP, group content, overland, or solo instances. The performance is bad everywhere.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I know for most people it's more about how stable the ping is rather than actual number. Though if you're at the 300+ side constantly it's probably would be way worse experience overall. Anecdotally I've raided pretty high end with 200+ and spiking ping but previously I've trained on lower one (90-120) and now have around 60-80 most of the time.
  • cyberjanet
    cyberjanet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While my light weaving is terrible as a rule, this video did help me a lot, and when I try and weave to a waltz rhythm (rather than trying to avoid being killed), it does improve my DPS a lot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4ULDb-BfxE
    Favourite NPC: Wine-For-All
    Mostly PC-EU , with a lonely little guy on NA.