Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Infinite Archive: Orbiting Echoes Verse needs a rework

CristiC
CristiC
✭✭✭
Description: Whenever(more likely never) a well impacts an enemy, it echoes out creating another orb up to a maximum of 3. These deal 20k-ish damage every 0.5 seconds. In addition, affected enemies take 5% increased damage from Orbiting Echoes per hit.

In this current form, the orbs barely hit a target. I did everything I could: bunched enemies together, maintained a distance so the orb was literarily fused to the enemy, even in the fight with Tho 'At(190seconds) the orb only hit once. In some instances, I could swear the orb was just trolling and avoiding the enemies :D. The problem is the distance between the user and orb, the height where the orb spawns and the orbiting speed.

A solution could be that the orb spawns at hip level, no more than 2m away and has increased orbiting speed; "affected enemies take 5% increased damage from Orbiting Echoes" can be replaced with "orbiting speed is increased by 5% each time they do damage" on top of the improved speed. "Astronomers orbs" from the game Halls of Torment could be an inspiration.
Edited by CristiC on 29 August 2024 18:41
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i would agree theres issues with this

the distance between the user and the orb makes it useless for enemies in melee range, it can deal huge dmg if you are not tanking a boss and can keep the orb on the enemy

the other part that makes it harder to position is that the balls move both in a fixed speed, and relative to your characters face direction, so a slight move to the left or right could make the balls jerk around, while continuing to rotate counterclockwise

i think the balls should orbit closer, and slightly faster to account for the fact they more reliably hit targets

i dont know if i would agree with orbiting speed increase each time it deals dmg, ive managed to have those things sit on a boss for 2 dozen hits before (they were starting to deal almost 75k dmg per tick by the time the boss died), if it increased orbit speed by 5% per hit that would have almost doubled their speed making it more difficult to keep an orb positioned on target
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is the Domihaus of Verses. Perfect placement and distance can make it powerful, but you rarely have the opportunity where both you and the enemy can stand still and keep the right distance.
  • CristiC
    CristiC
    ✭✭✭

the distance between the user and the orb makes it useless for enemies in melee range, it can deal huge dmg if you are not tanking a boss and can keep the orb on the enemy

the other part that makes it harder to position is that the balls move both in a fixed speed, and relative to your characters face direction, so a slight move to the left or right could make the balls jerk around, while continuing to rotate counterclockwise

i think the balls should orbit closer, and slightly faster to account for the fact they more reliably hit targets

i dont know if i would agree with orbiting speed increase each time it deals dmg, ive managed to have those things sit on a boss for 2 dozen hits before (they were starting to deal almost 75k dmg per tick by the time the boss died), if it increased orbit speed by 5% per hit that would have almost doubled their speed making it more difficult to keep an orb positioned on target

I agree with the speed increase on damage, maybe cap it or just keep the damage. Just hoping it's changed a bit to be more like "wow a like this verse, i"ll take" instead of "oh no, not this again". To me it seems, it's currently designed for big targets e.g. dragons or something in this line.
    Edited by CristiC on 29 August 2024 18:50
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CristiC wrote: »

I agree with the speed increase on damage, maybe cap it or just keep the damage. Just hoping it's changed a bit to be more like "wow a like this verse, i"ll take" instead of "oh no, not this again". To me it seems, it's currently designed for big targets e.g. dragons or something in this line.

i think just having the orbs orbit just a bit closer to the player might resolve a lot of the issues, it doesnt have to be right on top of the player, right now i think the center of the orbs is like somewhere between 8 and 10 meters out (i havent measured exactly), which will miss most melee enemies who are sitting right on top of you (even larger targets like marauders)

if the orbs center was about 6 meters, it would likely still at least graze melee enemies on occasion unless it was the smaller trash mob melee enemies

the other part of this i dont really get either is where it gives you up to 2 more orbs for dealing dmg, why not just start it at 3 orbs and remove that part entirely? its not hard to get 2 ticks off to get the extra orbs, and you can only effectively position 1 orb at a time anyway
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It just takes a bit of of work to use. You have to get the blue orb over the enemy and when you do, it has great damage. It is definitely picky to use though.
  • oldbobdude
    oldbobdude
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah something needs to happen. I liked the idea but like others have to spend all my time trying to position them. I don’t select that verse anymore.
  • CristiC
    CristiC
    ✭✭✭
    The verse has definitely great damage potential with a bit of rework, especially combined with the necrotic visions and with the fact the orbs never disappear. So far, from the new dps focused verses, it kinda falls short, for me at least, I mean look at the Tempest verse. If monster sets were to ever be introduced to mimic verses/visions, I want a Tempest one 😍
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the point is that the orbs sit outside of melee range. That way if you're relying on them, you actively have to try to overlap them instead of just getting a bunch of damage for enemies passively in melee range like Flame Aura.

It works best is you have ranged enemies that don't like to move much, or bosses that prefer to stay in one place instead of chasing you since then you can move to touch them. It also takes a bit of practice to keep the orb on a target due to the rotation. Obviously, the easiest thing is if you're with a friend who's tanking, since they can hold everything steady and give you the chance to position yourself correctly.

I love this one though. I've gotten pretty good at controlling them even when I'm solo and it's really strong.