Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Does Templar still need Sacred Ground?

The_Isatope8
The_Isatope8
✭✭✭
An interesting thing about Templars design is it's ability to 'build a house' with it's cleansing ritual and rune focus abilities, but many people have complained about this feature. The main complaint is that this feature is restrictive and sometimes detrimental in PvP where remaining mobile is extremely important. A lot of the features of the 'House' are useful, but are expensive and require you to stay in a small area, rendering one of their passives useless if the conditions are not met.

So the question is: does Templar still need Sacred Ground? The house building has been a part of Templar since launch, but the meta has changed a lot since then and Templar hasn't really adapted to fit the games' design in 2024. Templars is generally meant to follow the 'Paladin' archetype, so maybe their Sacred Ground could be replaced with auras, similar to DnD. Another way to alter it is to make the abilities used to build the house be cheaper under certain circumstances to make it easier to move it around and reposition. The third option is simply to keep it the same because I know that some people do enjoy utilizing Sacred Ground.

So what do you think? replace Sacred ground with something new, rework the existing version or keep it the same?

Edited by The_Isatope8 on 29 August 2024 15:16
Number 1 Templar apologist

Does Templar still need Sacred Ground? 28 votes

Replace
10%
amig186Theist_VIIThe_Isatope8 3 votes
Rework
50%
ApoAlaiaSleep724mr1shoSyiccalnotyuuBXR_LonestarMyceliusSockermannenBasPderkaiserlicheXSTRONGJust_AttiviBananaBenderforum_gpt 14 votes
keep the same
39%
DestaioiceroJanTanhideDiebesgutBradyfjordigormaxbr03IshtarknowsAfteripTybaltKaineTazzyKnightofGears 11 votes
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's hard to say because I think Templars are very close to being in a perfect spot. Only a few skills and passives need to be reworked but I don't think sacred ground is one of them. The area of the ritual skill is huge and gives you a lot of room to run around in. But you have to be smart about casting the expensive skill, and it should be expensive because it purges five negative effects. In that area you get increased healing and block mitigation. I think it's fine. It's other passives that need more attention.
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It needs to be removed, Templars have too much defense, they can cast all these buffs and then just stand there preventing others from doing anything to them, my DK with corrosive armor active which I should remind you gives you 100,000 penetration could barely land hits of anymore then 100 damage on them.
  • Theist_VII
    Theist_VII
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Replace
    It needs to be removed, Templars have too much defense, they can cast all these buffs and then just stand there preventing others from doing anything to them, my DK with corrosive armor active which I should remind you gives you 100,000 penetration could barely land hits of anymore then 100 damage on them.

Yet I would imagine those same Templars are doing 100 damage back.

To have such unbreakable defense you would need to invest into it, unlike other classes that can full send damage. That’s actually the problem right now.

Having your “house” might mean different things to different people, but when it comes to a playstyle in a fantasy game, it insinuates that you could hold your ground and protect that. You should be able to lock enemy players outside of your house, and welcome your allies.

Right now, it’s only welcoming, and to a certain degree. The healing power of your house is nowhere near inviting and you don’t have enough damage to keep people out of it.

What it would take for Sacred Ground to be class defining, is what ZOS are unwilling to do. The spreadsheet would simply never allow it.
  • Theist_VII
    Theist_VII
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Replace
    It’s also not just Sacred Ground.

Sun Shield used to allow you to rebuke melee attackers, helping to push people off of you and out of your house. Until that skill is adjusted, the class will never be what the developers envision.
  • Diebesgut
    Diebesgut
    ✭✭✭✭
    keep the same

I don't play pvp and I absolutely don't understand why skills should always be mutilated just for pvp. It would be better if the skills were only destroyed as soon as these players enter the pvp area and everyone else could continue playing normally and good.

Khajiit Sicherheitsdienst ~ Überprüfung von Schlössern aller Art ~ Khajiit Security ~ Inspection of any kind of locks
    Khajiit Gebrauchtwaren ~ Handel mit Waren aller Art ~ Khajiit Store ~ Trading of any kind of goods
    Playstation
  • The_Isatope8
    The_Isatope8
    ✭✭✭
    Replace
    Theist_VII wrote: »
    It’s also not just Sacred Ground.

Sun Shield used to allow you to rebuke melee attackers, helping to push people off of you and out of your house. Until that skill is adjusted, the class will never be what the developers envision.

In my opinion, sacred ground doesn't fit 2024's game design and needs to be replaced with something else.
    Something interesting that I have noticed is that there is no literature in-game that references Templars being able to place runes or areas of healing. But auras are mentioned a few times:

In the place of their Sacred Ground passive, maybe they could get something that increases their armor by a certain amount or a 1 effect cleanse every 5 seconds while a Restoring Light ability is active.

The abilities that interact with Sacred Ground would also need to be reworked in order to fit the aura theme more. Cleansing Ritual could have it's size reduced, but the healing effect follows the caster and Rune Focus could be like Arcanists Fatewoven Armor in that it still applies it's effects, but the visuals are on the casters body to signify that the ability is active.
    Number 1 Templar apologist
  • GuuMoonRyoung
    GuuMoonRyoung
    ✭✭✭✭
    I want to be the broken record and say again that PvP should have PvP abilities, gears and such while PvE should have PvE gears, abilities and such. Trying to balance something around two vastly different type of content is madness.
  • notyuu
    notyuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rework

I can tell you for a fact that only doing 100 damage to them with 100k pen isn't a result of sacred ground as all that does is give you minor mending and 10% stronger block mitigation.

Restoring focus gives resource regen and major resolve along with 2.5% of your max hp back per second

And ritual waiter purges all the effects and does...so so healing every 2 seconds or snares and damages enemies.

Not one item in that entire toolkits around sacred ground provides unique resistances so it sounds more like the player in question was abusing other non class sources of mitigation