Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Add online status option to the character screen, please

MotherOfMoss
MotherOfMoss
✭✭✭
I wish I could toggle (and easily notice) my sneak mode options in the character screen (as well as in-game!). A couple of reasons for this:

- If I want to sneak, I'd like to be able to do that before first logging in. Having to pop into online first rather defeats the purpose.
- Whenever I enter sneak mode, I tend to forget I did and leave it on for days at a time. Having my status visible in the login screen would help tremendously with this.
PC-EU | Long-time fan of TES Online: Furnishing and fashion simulator with massively multiplayer online chatting features.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • RexyCat
    RexyCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wish I could toggle (and easily notice) my sneak mode options in the character screen (as well as in-game!). A couple of reasons for this:

- If I want to sneak, I'd like to be able to do that before first logging in. Having to pop into online first rather defeats the purpose.
    - Whenever I enter sneak mode, I tend to forget I did and leave it on for days at a time. Having my status visible in the login screen would help tremendously with this.

Which game mode are you talking about? I suspect that crunch mode (stealth) in PvP game mode isn't supposed to be a permanent mode when you leave your character to go off line and return later and still will be hidden from other player without getting in crunch/sneak mode again when you get control of your character after you spawned into game.

Anyway there are add on that show in which mode your are when you are grouped up with other players on map with map pin that change icon for which mode your character or other character are in on minimap (Fyrakin) and main map.
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    RexyCat wrote: »

Which game mode are you talking about? I suspect that crunch mode (stealth) in PvP game mode isn't supposed to be a permanent mode when you leave your character to go off line and return later and still will be hidden from other player without getting in crunch/sneak mode again when you get control of your character after you spawned into game.

Anyway there are add on that show in which mode your are when you are grouped up with other players on map with map pin that change icon for which mode your character or other character are in on minimap (Fyrakin) and main map.

There might be a language barrier happening here, but I think what they are referring to is in guild roster where you can change you status from online to offline so people can’t see you are online or whisper you. Right now, you have to already be logged into a character to change it. OP would like to have that option on the character select screen.
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • MotherOfMoss
    MotherOfMoss
    ✭✭✭
    Yes indeed I meant the appear offline mode – "sneaking" in the sense of being invisible to friends who get chat messages when you log in, or guildies who may spy you online in the guild roster.
    PC-EU | Long-time fan of TES Online: Furnishing and fashion simulator with massively multiplayer online chatting features.
  • RexyCat
    RexyCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes indeed I meant the appear offline mode – "sneaking" in the sense of being invisible to friends who get chat messages when you log in, or guildies who may spy you online in the guild roster.

Thanks for clarifying what you actually meant.

Why would any Guild that yourself once did join be interested in "spying" on you or even be interested in following you every time you log in and the same for those people that you have put on you friends list? Both list (rooster) are voluntary and you need to have accepted a new friend request or applied for becoming a member of that Guild.

What you are asking for here could also be causing even more griefing with player that put themselves offline when they ask question in zone or guild chats. It already time consuming enough to lookup or find web pages that explains things to help players that ask question and then when you send them a replay there is dead silence as whisper will just vanish (no indication that recipient are in offline mode).

If I would take your suggestion seriously I would also see some thought on what could be down side from you suggestion as that is too often too many that ask for changes, but never consider what impact those changes might have on other players or how much this would require in UI changes, in API that needs to be changed and add on that needs to adjust for those changes that you suggest.

Is it really worth the cost for ZoS to implement and what is the gain for everybody else in this game?

It is after all a MMO and not single player game which means that player need to interact with each other even when they might not like each other on personal level to get things done.

As far as I understand it this suggestion would put player in a permanent state of offline as most players are already running this game in offline instead of online for communication with other players and this would just give those player even one more tool to stay offline which isn't necessary a positive change as that would make communication even more one sided.

We do have ignore and block feature in this game for players that go beyond what is acceptable or own personal expectations, but not breaking ToS or CoC, and you can report players that you find is breaking those rules or aren't accepting that you don't want to communicated with them.
  • Pevey
    Pevey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For people like myself with ADD, offline mode is great. I like having lots of people in guilds and on my friend list that I can do content with. Still, sometimes I just want to get in the game and get a few things done before being distracted. Offline mode already exists, and for good reasons. Being able to toggle it on the character screen would be wonderful.

Edit to Add: In case you don't know, it's announced in chat each time someone on your friend list logs on with a character. So you often get invites to do stuff soon after you log on if you weren't already in offline mode before your character loaded.
    Edited by Pevey on 27 August 2024 18:47
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the OP.

Sometimes we just want to chill and do our own thing without being distracted.
    Sometimes we just don't feel like chatting and it's easier to not show online. (Not that this happens to me often because I enjoy chatting.)
    But once we are logged in, all those players know we are really there. Changing it then will defeat the purpose.

We don't want to remove someone we are really friends with, or leave a guild that we enjoy to just have some time in game to ourselves.
    PCNA
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For now, I never log in on my mains first. I log on lower levels to train riding, which takes very little time, so if I want to show my mains offline, I set offline on the lowbie, then log off immediately.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • TheMajority
    TheMajority
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 for this feature would love it sometimes you accidentally leave your account in online mode when you just want to chill. This would enable the ability to go offline before log in

would also be good to implement being able to individually show or hide yourself to specific people like old school messenger services had

As far as I understand it this suggestion would put player in a permanent state of offline as most players are already running this game in offline instead of online for communication with other players and this would just give those player even one more tool to stay offline which isn't necessary a positive change as that would make communication even more one sided.

good, nobody needs permanent access to people whenever you want, sometimes people do want privacy so this is a good boundary setting tool with online people especially strangers who don't need access to me any time they want

as for reply to someone who ask a question in zone, reply in zone, no need to whisper or send pm

we gotta get used to the idea that even in online environment people deserve and need privacy just like the real world. real world is also "multiplayer" but you can turn off a phone or go in a no message mode, so I dont see why a game should be different.

more privacy settings please

Time flies like an arrow- but fruit flies like a banana.

Sorry for my English, I do not always have a translation tool available. Thank you for your patience with our conversation and working towards our mutual understanding of the topic.
  • MotherOfMoss
    MotherOfMoss
    ✭✭✭
    RexyCat wrote: »
    What you are asking for here[...]

The option to appear offline already exists and is used by many players who, as written by others here, sometimes just want a moment of quiet with no whispers or invites.

My only ask here is that that setting be made visible already in the character screen, whereas now you need to log in with a character before you can toggle the offline mode. No new functionality requested besides that.
  • Iriidius
    Iriidius
    ✭✭✭
    Should definitely be possible to set online status in character screen, if you have to login and other people receive message you logged in before I can set my status to offline they already know I am online. If I am not really interested to play with friends or play at all but have to login for daily reward/endeavours/other limited-time-offers, showing other players that I am online and getting messages is not something I want.

Althought sneaking probably meant offline modus, not beeing able to login stealthened even if you logged out stealthened is also something that should be changed. It should not happen that if I logout stealthened in Cyrodiil/IC wildness and later try to login, maybe to do something outside Cyrodiil, I immediately get seen (because I am not stealthened anymore) and attacked. Sometimes I got killed before I get out of loading screen because my character was already attackable or I came out loading screen already under attack and confused and with error messages on screen and environment/other players not loaded and get killed before I know what is going on. While logging in stealthened doesnt guarantee that i nor get seen and attacked it would at least reduce the provability and not be unbalanced or unfair to anyone.
    Edited by Iriidius on 29 August 2024 18:15