Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Choose your character screen background

MotherOfMoss
MotherOfMoss
✭✭✭
I was so happy when we were granted to option to choose our login screen music. I wish the same was extended to the character screen background – I like the current one very much and am always looking forward to new lovely backgrounds, but I also rather miss the old ones and would be glad to be able to bring them back for myself, now and then.

On a related note, since the BGs are so pretty, it would be nice to be able to turn off UI in this screen too and take pretty pictures without all the clutter.
PC-EU | Long-time fan of TES Online: Furnishing and fashion simulator with massively multiplayer online chatting features.
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    i would also like that
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have killed for that during the Skyrim and Dunmer DLCs and the Deadlands. I'm okay with what we have now, but it will depend on what comes next because if it's more Skyrim or Dunmer, no thank you.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I suggested different options than just using the current chapter screen years ago, I was told (by users, not ZOS) that having the current chapter as a background probably also serves one purpose: Advertising the new chapter. Because also people who have not bought it get this screen.

That said, I'm all for freely choosing the background. They could also, as a plus, give preset options, like displaying the background based on the character's race, their alliance (as it has been once) or current location (which would mean they had to make one backdrop per map area).
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • SkaiFaith
    SkaiFaith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I totally agree with OP's request, players on consoles have it rough - even if I select a specific music, when I launch the game it starts the music of the current expansion; my selected theme only kicks in after reaching character selection screen.

It's such a bad thing, but sadly I see no way of fixing it, 'cause of how the game on console works/load.

So, on consoles, even if we would be able to chose background, music and whatever, we would still have to deal with default ones for the first 15 seconds every time it starts or we go back to login screen.
    A bit disappointing... It kinda breaks the purpose of the choice.
    A: "We, as humans, should respect and take care of each other like in a Co-op, not a PvP 🌸"
    B: "Too many words. Words bad. Won't read. ⚔️"
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, I'd love this. The current one is way too orange and intense for my tastes. I like the darker setting in the character creation screens, would love that as a default.
  • Elric_665
    Elric_665
    ✭✭✭
    Why not a Screenshot from the last Place You have parked Your Char?
    "If it bleeds, we can kill it!"
    Major „Dutch“ Schaefer

PvP nur, wenn es sich absolut nicht vermeiden läßt.
    PCEU
  • JemadarofCaerSalis
    JemadarofCaerSalis
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would love something like this. The current background is pretty, but soo soo much orange and yellow.
  • MotherOfMoss
    MotherOfMoss
    ✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    having the current chapter as a background probably also serves one purpose: Advertising the new chapter. Because also people who have not bought it get this screen.

Oh yes quite surely. So naturally the default would be the newest, as it is with the music. And I wouldn't be in any way opposed to ZOS pushing the new ones to override your personal pick when the new chapter comes, just so you see what's new! But having enjoyed the novelty, I would like the chance to pick what I want to look at in the long term.
    PC-EU | Long-time fan of TES Online: Furnishing and fashion simulator with massively multiplayer online chatting features.
  • Vaqual
    Vaqual
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would be nice to have if the impact on the loading time isn't noticeable. If it would slow the loading times down I'd prefer to load the minimal amount (only current) instead.
  • Treeshka
    Treeshka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes i would like to use old Aldmeri Dominion back ground where background is like Auridon, and there is a small river in the back.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elric_665 wrote: »

Just a screenshot?

I mean, tastes differ. I personally like the backdrop thing as they have it now, I'd just prefer us to have an option to choose from a selection.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Pelanora
    Pelanora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    I would have killed for that during the Skyrim and Dunmer DLCs and the Deadlands. I'm okay with what we have now, but it will depend on what comes next because if it's more Skyrim or Dunmer, no thank you.

Necrom year was a long year, I can tell you that.
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to beable to choose the background, my evil vampire feels way out of place in the sunny west weald.
  • JemadarofCaerSalis
    JemadarofCaerSalis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    Elric_665 wrote: »

Just a screenshot?

I mean, tastes differ. I personally like the backdrop thing as they have it now, I'd just prefer us to have an option to choose from a selection.

Yeah, as nice as the screenshot from where I last left my character might help me remember 'okay, I parked them HERE, and not THERE', I would far prefer to simply be able to have the background be an image I choose. (from a selection of them of course)
  • LesserCircle
    LesserCircle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This would be great, I want to select the alliance backgrounds again.