Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

I have to relearn NB assassin's blade skill

Olen_Mikko
Olen_Mikko
✭✭✭✭✭
Bug or a feature?

I have an impale skill (assassin's blade morph) in use and I can use it normally, albeit it showing lock over the image.

What I can't do, is slot it if I reset my build. I have to learn and level that skill again.

Nice change, could've mention that it needs a releveling.
NB enthusiastic:
  1. Woodhippie stamblade - DW hard-hitter / PvE
  2. Know-it-all elf Magblade - Healer / PvE & PvP
  3. Hate-them-all elf Magblade - Destrostaff AoE monster / PvE
  4. Cyrodiil-Refugee stamblade - Stamina Tank / PvE

Go dominion or go home

Nightblade-Hipster. I played Nightblade before it was cool - from 1.5 onwards.
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That might be because they moved around NB's skills. If we need to relevel the skills that is a bad decision. I wonder if that moving around messed up the armory setups.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They switched NB skills around.

The "aftermath" of this change is that for the 1st time ever, NB's Shadow skills are exclusivity magicka costing (as Veiled Strike costs stamina but is now in Assasination tree).

It was kinda NB class core design from the start to have at least one skill in each tree to cost something else than magicka (Stamina, Health, Toggle etc), but they somehow went with this change. The departure from the OG class design is actually so big that I think that it may simply be an oversight.

Weirdly enough it is mostly a nerf to stam builds, while mag builds won't either feel a difference or it may even be a small buff for them (and mag was already way above stam since the hybridization changes).
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This change is IDK how many years overdue thematically. I'm so happy to see it. Releveling skills is so fast anyway.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather
    Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher

BLACK HAIR FOR ALTMER PLEASE (hair color cosmetic pack)
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just noticed that.

Fortunately it seems that is only the base skill, the morphs seem to be OK.

I guess is the XP adjustment from moving the skill from slot #1 to #3 (where all the morphs require the same XP to level the base skill is more 'expensive' the higher the slot #)

Still, is an insight into their mindset when they see this and go 'nah, it doesn't even bear mentioning'.

Edited by ApoAlaia on 19 August 2024 21:28
  • Anifaas
    Anifaas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ApoAlaia wrote: »

Still, is an insight into their mindset when they see this and go 'nah, it doesn't even bear mentioning'.

Perhaps. Or it could be they, ZOS, are understaffed and overworked. That does seem to be a common theme in the gaming industry. Oversights like this are not at all uncommon, unfortunately. :/
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's because the skill got moved. That's happened with other skills that got moved around.

Internally, each skill requires a certain amount of XP to level up to morphable, and then to the fully morphed version. However, the exact amount of XP needed depends on where it is on the list, so the first skill will need a lot less XP than a later one. As such, since that skill used to be the 1st skill, it now 'doesn't have enough XP to make it to morphable' once you move it to third.

It's a minor annoyance, but it's a product of how the system works.

If you already have the skill finished, you can use it as is. But if you ever need to remove the skill point from the morph, the game will see that you don't have enough XP and need to earn that last little bit to skill it back to morphable.
  • Kyzeragon
    Kyzeragon
    ✭✭
    FWIW it seems like if you already have a morph saved inside an armory preset, it applies the morph. It appears locked, but is usable.
    dw7z3bdsv0hi.png
    If you try to respec it at a shrine, you can only remove the point, not change the morph.
    fcokrkejhbhs.png
    If you don't have it morphed in the armory preset, e.g. presets that are blank for free respecs, you have to go level it before you are able to manually morph.
    4l44dyb26hpj.png
    After getting the XP to make it manually morphable again, prior rank IV returned automatically.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, wow, that's annoying. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Dax_Draconis
    Dax_Draconis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Will it level while still in use and locked?
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just noticed that.

Fortunately it seems that is only the base skill, the morphs seem to be OK.

I guess is the XP adjustment from moving the skill from slot #1 to #3 (where all the morphs require the same XP to level the base skill is more 'expensive' the higher the slot #)

That's exactly it, the same thing happened back when they switched poison arrow and snipe, the old first skill became unmorphed because the small amount of exp required to morph the first skill wasn't enough to even level up the skill once in its new slot.
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Will it level while still in use and locked?

If you mean what I think you mean, probably not. I've had impale on for a few hundred thousand xp since the update and the lock bar hasn't changed. I suspect I need to go to a shrine, undo the morph, specifically gain xp in the base skill, and then reapply the morph, but that's also a pain that I can't be bothered with until I have more free time and an unnecessary waste of gold.
  • Major_Toughness
    Major_Toughness
    ✭✭✭✭
    This has happened several times over the years when they change skills.

How is anyone surprised? Just spend 10 minutes to level it and move on.
    PC EU > You
  • GuuMoonRyoung
    GuuMoonRyoung
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anifaas wrote: »

Perhaps. Or it could be they, ZOS, are understaffed and overworked. That does seem to be a common theme in the gaming industry. Oversights like this are not at all uncommon, unfortunately. :/

They just got themselves an entire studio full of staff...
  • Capsaica
    Capsaica
    ✭✭✭
    I am not surprised, just frustrated. I have over 300 days of playtime on my main nightblade. As embarassing as that might be to admit. I wanted to log on and do some content immediately, but because I like to keep my armory builds flexible (I keep many skills unmorphed) for different playstyles, I can't. I have to go level a skill that's been leveled for 10 years...

Easy enough to fix, just a waste of game time that I wanted to spend actually playing content.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://eso-sets.com/set/umbral-edge
    (5 items) When you cast a Shadow ability, you gain Umbral Riposte for 3 seconds, up to once every 6 seconds. Umbral Riposte causes you to dodge the next attack made against you and automatically curses the attacking enemy, applying Major Vulnerability for 5 seconds, increasing their damage taken by 10%.

I think this is the reason why they switched things around. You could use your spamable to proc it and this is something ZOS wanted to avoid. They wanted to make very strong OP set for people to grind, so they indirectly nerfed the spamable (but only for stamina builds). If you could proc it with Veiled Strike, then the set would have to be much weaker. But ZOS clearly wanted set to be very strong so that players would grind the new shiny stuff.

They could have made the set weaker without making any class changes - but they have chosen the 1st option. Imho, introducing new set & making it the reason to nerf an ability that already exists in the game (and existed since day1) is a bad practise.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on 27 August 2024 18:36