The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.2 is available.

PTS Update 42 - Feedback Thread for HDR

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official feedback thread for HDR support. Specific feedback that the team is looking for includes the following:
  • If you also play on console, how does this compare?
  • If you use multiple monitors, are you able to enable/disable HDR on the correct displays?
  • How did the game look when you enabled HDR for the first time or changed the brightness/contrast settings to their max/min?
  • Do you have any general feedback?
Edited by ZOS_GinaBruno on 16 April 2024 21:05
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • acastanza_ESO
    acastanza_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't play on console so I can't really compare to the options there, but I do use reshade to get HDR-like effects (at some small performance cost). Having had a bit of opportunity to look at the new HDR on a new alt account that isn't locked, it looks good, really good. Maybe not enough to give up reshade entirely (like for the sharpening effects) but in terms of adjustments to brightness and color? This is some seriously great work and will 100% be replacing those reshade effects!
  • Cast_El
    Cast_El
    ✭✭✭✭
    How turn it off? I don't see anything about it in video settings
  • sharkclanb16_ESO
    8iugumyta1o4.png

Whilst the settings work before in some areas, this is what I am seeing from within the trial

I am also finding it hard to get a good balance between dark and light areas, its headtorch or sunglasses
  • sharkclanb16_ESO
    Cast_El wrote: »
    How turn it off? I don't see anything about it in video settings

The option to turn it off is in Settings -> Video -> HDR Off but for me it just crashes the game to the bug reporter if I try and turn it off
  • sharkclanb16_ESO
    This is my semi-happy level at

2dbaoc3cqsr6.png

Everything feels a lot more vivid than windows HDR taht I ahve been using and the HDR Mode setting for Vivid is on steroids
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    on PC. My TV is HDR capable and I can play HDR games.

ESO's HDR on does not activate the HDR video mode on my TV at all, and it just looks awfully white.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    moo_2021 wrote: »

ESO's HDR on does not activate the HDR video mode on my TV at all, and it just looks awfully white.

Did you make sure to go to your display settings in windows for the TV and enable HDR mode?

Note: on PC when you enable HDR mode, most monitors don't come properly visually balanced. In my case, I needed to go into my NVIDIA control panel and mess around with the sliders to make the colour distribution look correct. At default, HDR enabled looks like I'm viewing everything in old timey sepia tone.

Edited by MashmalloMan on 17 April 2024 19:47
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you make sure to go to your display settings in windows for the TV and enable HDR mode?

Note: on PC when you enable HDR mode, most monitors don't come properly visually balanced. In my case, I needed to go into my NVIDIA control panel and mess around with the sliders to make the colour distribution look correct. At default, HDR enabled looks like I'm viewing everything in old timey sepia tone.

Yep "Play HDR games and apps" is enabled, but full screen games are supposed to turn on "HDR" signal. That was not on - the TV screen is still in non-HDR mode.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Yep "Play HDR games and apps" is enabled, but full screen games are supposed to turn on "HDR" signal. That was not on - the TV screen is still in non-HDR mode.

Just to clarify, I'm referring to this windows setting which doesn't sound the same as the one you're mentioning. It sounds like you're referring to a TV menu setting:

aXk0hNV.png0b2Zy8t.png
    Edited by MashmalloMan on 17 April 2024 21:15
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Cast_El
    Cast_El
    ✭✭✭✭
    Screen is weird even if I turn HDR off. Ui is weird
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's weird is the windows setting will not even allow me to turn HDR (off) for my TV (which I play ESO on my 55" HDTV)... the screen blinks and reverts back to original setting. I'm hoping I can turn it off in the game settings (I'm not on PTS), since I DO NOT like HDR and have it turned off in every device I own. My PC monitor is not HDR, so I don't have to worry about it there.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • ghost_bg_ESO
    ghost_bg_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    even slapped same settings as series x - haven't seen much difference (yet on pc i personally play with hdr off)

- it is better than windows auto hdr
    - on controller there is no hdr on/off - has to be turned on with keyboard or it stays on windows auto hdr.
    - even if it is off at windows setting it doesn't disappear from the menu and still can be turned on - leading to some bright "mess" compared to console where it disappears from settings - this may be better as it may give more options for brightness contrast tunning on pc.

(probably everyone on hdr knows it, but don't forget to check "windows hdr calibration" app)
  • acastanza_ESO
    acastanza_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've been playing with HDR and it has been great. However today I encountered an issue with toggling HDR off then back On:

I wanted to take a screenshot in non HDR mode, so I quit the game, turned off HDR in my Windows settings, launched the game, and loaded my characters just fine. I then quit the game again, reenabled HDR in my Windows settings, and relaunched the game but whenever I tried to load that character the game instantly crashes to the desktop.

I had to go to the Settings > Video > HDR and toggle it back to ON (it was OFF) in order to stop the game from crashing and get back in. I can't remember if I had turned it off myself before quitting the game the first time, or if it turned itself off. But it appears that attempting to load the game while your system is in HDR enabled mode, but the game is in HDR OFF mode can cause the game to CTD while loading characters.

Edit: just had this happen again on launching the game without touching the HDR settings form ON, I had to turn it off System Side to stop my game crashing on character load.

Edit 2: I'm 95% sure this is caused by HDR, but it actually seems to be getting worse. Now even after repairing my game and toggling HDR I'm still getting CTDs trying to load characters.

Edit 3: This might be a bad interaction with addons somehow? I toggled off all my addons using the global setting and was able to load in, but these addons weren't causing any issues an hour ago, and this is the first time I've touched the addon settings during this whole process.
    Edited by acastanza_ESO on 20 April 2024 21:41
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With HDR switched on I have noticed that the print screen option to save an image to desktop now dulls the image to very little colour range, I know HDR is brightening the peaks but it doesnt make sense why this brightness would just not be included as part of the save to PNG.

I would have thought saving the image would be based on the internal game (like Nvidia does it) and not based on the display.
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • JaiaV
    JaiaV
    ✭✭✭
    Can we get a saturation slider? It's dramatically over-saturated on the default profile for me and the vivid profile is.. vomit inducing. It actually looks worse on screen than Game Bar's HDR grabs can convey.

Default:
    ngzablj71his.png

Vivid:
    d6n6fqmf9mfc.png

In between the saturation being so off (and so much like so many modern phones.. right down to the way overblown blues) and the way the UI interacts with HDR on, honestly "auto-HDR" does a better job (despite being pretty bad).
    Edited by JaiaV on 23 April 2024 15:22
  • MoonPile
    MoonPile
    ✭✭✭✭
    JaiaV wrote: »
    Can we get a saturation slider? It's dramatically over-saturated on the default profile for me and the vivid profile is.. vomit inducing. It actually looks worse on screen than Game Bar's HDR grabs can convey.

Default:
    ngzablj71his.png

Ahh I thought the West Weald zone had a different coloration, especially at times of day with blue sky. Left feedback about it in the zone thread. Have to go back and see if HDR is on.

Still, the saturation and over-tuned blue shadows are more visible in West Weald than any other zone; there was no difference in other areas. Possibly because of the complimentary color contrast with all the oranges. It looks cartoonish. As you said, even on default.
  • Belhawk1
    Belhawk1
    ✭✭
    HDR UI is just for the User Interface, so why have it?
    Why not have HDR settings separate for indoor and outdoor?
  • acastanza_ESO
    acastanza_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    8iugumyta1o4.png

Whilst the settings work before in some areas, this is what I am seeing from within the trial

I am also finding it hard to get a good balance between dark and light areas, its headtorch or sunglasses

Are you running Perfect Pixel? I saw this too with Perfect Pixel enabled, but not without it.
    Edited by acastanza_ESO on 29 April 2024 19:12