The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Windows 7 Unsupported

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't they just announce yesterday that the fall Windows update will be a Windows 11 one, not Windows 12, as previously rumored?
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • WhosTheFancyOneNow
    WhosTheFancyOneNow
    ✭✭✭
    windows 12 looks like it will be worse as it will be a subscription model requiring you to login to microsoft server just to use it.
    Options
  • Mesite
    Mesite
    ✭✭✭✭
    Follow me - I abandoned Windows to go to the Xbox. But my old Windows 10 laptop was struggling and I had to wait for ages to get the game going, and it was.sometimes quicker to walk between wayshrines than wait for the next wayshrine to load if I ported to town, so I have to admire your perseverance.
    Options
  • Braggar
    Braggar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    Didn't they just announce yesterday that the fall Windows update will be a Windows 11 one, not Windows 12, as previously rumored?

Yes and no. Hard to say, what they really do in the end? We´ll have to wait and see. But meanwhile I got something interesting here, for anyone with older PC´s.

Install Windows 11 on anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7oRJwTzOn8
    Edited by Braggar on 5 March 2024 15:59
    Options
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I guess WIN 10/11 will be it for me. I don't need AI and my computer thinking for me.

Remember The Matrix people! :)
    Options
  • nightstrike
    nightstrike
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, I still use Windows 7, and it suits me just fine. I have no plans to change that, so I hope that ESO continues to work there for some time.
    Warning: This signature is tiny!
    Options
  • ClowdyAllDay
    ClowdyAllDay
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's an updated video that's a year newer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=899NmXHK3WE

and then debloat windows 11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqYYWWvI0Yg
    Edited by ClowdyAllDay on 15 April 2024 17:37
    Options
  • vesperghost
    vesperghost
    ✭✭✭
    welp, I've emotionally prepared myself to get dunked on for this, so here we go:
    is anyone here on windows 7 able to run the PTS after this last update? I'm getting an instant ctd with no message and this might well have to be the end of my "cold dead fingers" stance on updating to the bloated ad-infested misery of the future.
    no add-ons, no reshade, repaired twice... gonna leave it fully reinstalling overnight just to check.

just wanted to see if anyone else is in the same boat. and yes, I know support formally ended.
    my what
    Options
  • ClowdyAllDay
    ClowdyAllDay
    ✭✭✭✭
    There’s always Linux. Use steam or lutris.
    Options
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There’s always Linux. Use steam or lutris.
    Well, ESO works on a Steam Deck, so for ESO, linux should be ok. The issue is that unfortunately, Linux is still far, far behind Windows when it comes to "ease of use" shall we call it.

For basic stuff (like web browsing, watching a movie etc) it is ok, but when it comes to "daily driving" it and doing something more, it all breaks aparat. It mostly boils down to compatibility. You are essentially "locked" to use stuff that is in Flatpak repositories. If something is not there, chances are an average user (not linux user, just average PC user who wants to use linux instead of windows) wont be able to download & compile it. On Windows, if you want to use software, you just download a setup and install it & in 99.99% cases it works. On linux however, even if you do stuff 100% correct you may end-up bricking your system.

There is also other "can of worms" when it comes to Linux & Windows software compatibility. The Default behaviour should be that Linux "knows" what .exe or .msi is and running & installing windows stuff on linux should be plain and simple, but the reality is that it is not the case.

I am still hesitating whenever to move to W12 & just don't run into necessary compatibility issues in the future & don't waste time on solving various issues, or maybe use W10 for as long as possible & then move to linux. The problem with W12 is most likely it will be either very expensive or sub based and you will still have all the unnecessary telemetry & bloatware & AI and ads that you wont be able to remove.
    Options
  • ClowdyAllDay
    ClowdyAllDay
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use artix Linux and I never use a flatpax. Artix is arch Linux without systemd. Also if you have a Ryzen processor and gpu you can use chimera os and though it uses systemd which I hate you would look at it and see a steam deck like interface with mistly all its bells and whistles
    Options
  • ClowdyAllDay
    ClowdyAllDay
    ✭✭✭✭
    There’s also tiny 11 that is windows without the bloat. I wouldn’t do my banking on it but for gaming, why not?
    Options