The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

MagCro one bar build (for PvP)

Seraphayel
Seraphayel
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Title.

I‘m not recent when it comes to Necro builds, just returned to this class. Are there good one bar builds for Necros, maybe even for PvP?
PS5
EU
Aldmeri Dominion
- Khajiit Arcanist -
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who's gonna tell 'em? :'(
    At least 3 of each class. PVPing Since IC.
  • VadimAleks
    VadimAleks
    ✭✭✭
    After the nerf to DoTs (damage and ticks in 2 seconds), I don’t see any reason to play necro at all. This was a class specialized for DoTs. What did the developers do? They reduced the damage of the dots (30% if I remember correctly) and made a tick every 2 seconds (thus reducing the damage by another 50%). What is left for the necro? Blastbones? Also nerfed with a recent patch. One bar build makes no sense, since there is no class spam ability with sufficient damage. And what does the necro now have that cannot be obtained by ANY other class, in addition to the unique features of this class?
    No more levels and skills, only degradation!
  • Deimus
    Deimus
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, zos just put the final nail in the coffin. Magcro is dead and buried.
  • RedFireDisco
    RedFireDisco
    ✭✭✭✭
    Necro one bar is terrible because of the lack of tether buffs but you almost need to use Oakensuck to get the brutality/savagery buffs

But you'll have no tethers - Lose the ult gen, lose the regen from tethers, and you'll lose the pen uptime

The good news is you'll do half the DPS of every other build all the while watching your BB get destroyed before you can hit your heavy, bb, skulls combo.

• gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1 bar builds in pvp are not as competitive compared to 2 bar builds. Advice is that you learn to use 2 bars, especially if you are going to play an incomplete and forgotten class like necro.
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 bar builds in pvp are not as competitive compared to 2 bar builds. Advice is that you learn to use 2 bars, especially if you are going to play an incomplete and forgotten class like necro.

I'm not sure it's possible to have all the Oakensoul buffs active on a frontbar on Cro? If so only barely.

I've got em all on Warden, on the other hand, all at 100% uptime, with plenty of Mag left over to put our more pressure or burst than Cro feasibly can. The only I don't source from class skills are Heroism (poisons) and Minor Force (Acceleration). Oh and Minor Resolve would be from Vigor but Trellis or Seeds probably both better slots.

But what's up with this new pen set, any good? Thinking of trying that on Cro today.

Edit: I mention that Pen set cuz it hits Oakensoul users the hardest with the useless pve buffs

Edited by Urzigurumash on 27 March 2024 13:14
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But on this subject let's not get it twisted:

One of the reasons to play Cro remains a superlative defensive backbar. Maybe the best, certainly as good as a DK or Warden backbar?
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only thing I can think of that cro is better than other classes at is applying defile, so my 1 bar build is Snake in the Stars, Jerall monster set, vat lightning staff, Oakensoul, fill out with trainee/druids braid. Obliv enchant for all the sorc/arc shields. Clever bit is free resources from expunge and modify. Still not enough healing mitigation to wear down a well built Warden etc but overall performs decently in Cyro so far... I'm Xbox so only 1 day on this patch.
    Edited by Neoauspex on 27 March 2024 15:10
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Choose a different class. I just demoted my Necro to farming with speedy sets, skills, and the Wild Hunt ring. They really are that bad in PvP.
  • Oblivion_Protocol
    Oblivion_Protocol
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, Necro is just bad in PvP. For a long time, Blastbones was all they had offensively. Devs gutted the ability, so now they don’t even have that. It’s gotten to where there’s virtually no point in having offensive Necro abilities on the front bar.

The crazy thing is that the Devs also nerfed Master’s Dual Wield, so Necro can’t even crutch on the meta setup because they don’t have enough buffs to support the new scaling.

If you want to play a Necromancer in PvP, you only have two options: bomber and troll tank, both of which requiring two bars. And frankly, Necro bombing is inferior to NB bombing by a long shot.
    Edited by Oblivion_Protocol on 28 March 2024 17:45
  • mr1sho
    mr1sho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I should turn my necro into a healer or tank 😞
    Gold Company Commander
  • moderatelyfatman
    moderatelyfatman
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, Necro is just bad in PvP. For a long time, Blastbones was all they had offensively. Devs gutted the ability, so now they don’t even have that. It’s gotten to where there’s virtually no point in having offensive Necro abilities on the front bar.

The crazy thing is that the Devs also nerfed Master’s Dual Wield, so Necro can’t even crutch on the meta setup because they don’t have enough buffs to support the new scaling.

If you want to play a Necromancer in PvP, you only have two options: bomber and troll tank, both of which requiring two bars. And frankly, Necro bombing is inferior to NB bombing by a long shot.

I really noticed the difference in this year's Whitestrakes Mayhem. I got bombed plenty of times by necros but never died, while nightblades and DKs got me most of the time. It's a really rough time to be a necro.
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mr1sho wrote: »

I have a laptop with controller when I'm on the stationary bike. I swapped all the fast gear from my NB to the Necro....currently necro is for farming nodes and fishing. Oh and if I'm needing crystals a tank to queue for normal dungeons.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Necro tank is an excellent choice, sir. Highly valued in raids
  • yadibroz
    yadibroz
    ✭✭✭

Necro tank is an excellent choice, sir. Highly valued in raids

What sets should I use for a necro tank
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    While you can easily run necros as a main tank, guilds I run with prefer the necro tank to be the off-tank. Other than the typical tank sets (Yoln, Saxheel, Pearl, Turning Tide, Powerful Assault), some specific necro tanks sets include Elemental Catalyst, Drake's Rush, and Arkasis Genius. Crimson Oath is another solid set for main and off tanks, but for off-tanks whether you wear this set will depend on the content as your positioning depends of how useful it is.

Your major role as an off tank is to keep dropping the Colossus as often as possible, so Drake's is your primary for that. Arkasis can help with that, but I prefer Drake's. Your combination of sets will depend on what the main tank and healers are wearing. For instance, some healers run PA, so you would not waste a set with 2 players wearing it. Nor would you double-up on sets like Yoln, Saxheel, or Pearl, so main might wear Saxheel and you go with Pearl. But there is little chance that a main tank will be running Catalyst, Drake's, or Arkasis.

Turning Tide is the least necessary set for a necro tank because you will get the Major Vulnerability from the Colossus. But if you plan on tanking on other characters, its worth farming.
  • yadibroz
    yadibroz
    ✭✭✭
    While you can easily run necros as a main tank, guilds I run with prefer the necro tank to be the off-tank. Other than the typical tank sets (Yoln, Saxheel, Pearl, Turning Tide, Powerful Assault), some specific necro tanks sets include Elemental Catalyst, Drake's Rush, and Arkasis Genius. Crimson Oath is another solid set for main and off tanks, but for off-tanks whether you wear this set will depend on the content as your positioning depends of how useful it is.

Your major role as an off tank is to keep dropping the Colossus as often as possible, so Drake's is your primary for that. Arkasis can help with that, but I prefer Drake's. Your combination of sets will depend on what the main tank and healers are wearing. For instance, some healers run PA, so you would not waste a set with 2 players wearing it. Nor would you double-up on sets like Yoln, Saxheel, or Pearl, so main might wear Saxheel and you go with Pearl. But there is little chance that a main tank will be running Catalyst, Drake's, or Arkasis.

Turning Tide is the least necessary set for a necro tank because you will get the Major Vulnerability from the Colossus. But if you plan on tanking on other characters, its worth farming.

Which class is better as a tank necromancer,dk or arcanist because I never try necromancer before so I don't know which one is stronger on pvp and pve like dungeon?
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can only talk about PVE tanking. Personal preference does play a part, but I think DK is the best tank class. The toolkit is very strong with lots of CC's, pulls, resistances, and group buffs. Necro, warden, and arcanist are probably right behind it (I haven't tried an arcanist tank yet, but heard its solid). Not trying to disparage other classes, nightblades and sorcerers are next tier with templar being the bottom. Every class can be an viable tank, but its much harder with a templar than a DK.

If you are focusing on group dungeon tanking, any class will work. I think tanking with necros is pretty fun in a dungeon. The CC is strong, Beckoning Armor plus a Vateshran S&B pulls the world, the group buffs and heals are solid, and unlike running a necro DD, there are no sustain issues. For all the faults it has in PVP and as a DD in PVE, its seamless as a tank
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not hopeless! With the limit of one bar, necro's weakness is nullified because other classes suck harder.

5 x deadlands demolisher, 5 x 2nd set, oak ring and a monster shoulder. You don't even need to golden deadlands demolisher because the bonuses are constant. 3 jewelry pieces must be infused trait with bash enchant.

stam blastbone, s&b charge, a magicka spammable for LA+bash weaving, vigor or flesh, the ghost HoT.

Unlike arcanist's build, mag spammable only does half damage of power slam but you can spam it indefinitely to keep constant pressure. More than half of total damage would always be bash anyway while set proc alone gives ~10%.

2nd set can be for resist, healing, crit or shield, or both (hexos). No need to buff weapon damage.

Food/drink must provide max recovery for both resources. Target at least 1.5k mag and stam recovery without potion. The golden or purple drink would work but I use only cheap blue drinks.

PS: the set works well as PvE tank too. With hexos you can get 35k HP + 25k shield with 30k resist, and still make around 25k dps.
    Edited by moo_2021 on 10 April 2024 19:45
  • brandsnipe
    brandsnipe
    ✭✭✭
    I have played magcro a lot and made it work in PvP, pre blastbones changes. Magcro had underwhelming damage to begin with and now lost its burst damage ability. Look up avid necro on youtube, im using a tweaked version of his build. You run potentates and akaviri dragonguard to get a 30% ultimate reduction and use reanimate blastbones to nuke someone down. Im still tweaking things to my liking but its at least working in BGs. No one expects to get hit with 4 blastbones.

Now as for a 1 bar build. I would drop the dragonguard set for orders wrath as minor heroism offsets the 15% ultimate reduction lost, balorgh set, and 1 piece trainee. Id run either comet ultimate (170) or colossus (150). Blighted is a must, but experiment with other skills.
    Edited by brandsnipe on 13 April 2024 16:59
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just checked your videos, they’re really nice and informative @brandsnipe . Using the Ultimate to burst down your enemy is clever, yet I fear it‘s way too specific to be very useful in most fights? The Ultimate is so expensive for what it does, I really which it would get more functionality.

For more ooomph, couldn’t you combine this with Magicka Detonation? Hard to counter all that burst, but I’m no expert in this case. But it looks like a lot of fun!

Edit: forget it, I had no idea how they butchered Magicka Detonation years ago, lol.
    Edited by Seraphayel on 11 April 2024 22:47
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i use a somewhat experimental 1 bar necromancer mostly tank build for the archive, that when i tried it in a few BGs, actually did not do half bad, fairly survivable, and some decent dmg

this build is intended to be extremely focused on status effects, so im using serpents disdain, oakensoul (due to the lack of self buffs necromancer can get), and leeching plate (survivability/poison, though when i did the BGs i was using explosive rebuke, which while it could hit hard, it was a little difficult to use at times)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • brandsnipe
    brandsnipe
    ✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    I just checked your videos, they’re really nice and informative @brandsnipe . Using the Ultimate to burst down your enemy is clever, yet I fear it‘s way too specific to be very useful in most fights? The Ultimate is so expensive for what it does, I really which it would get more functionality.

For more ooomph, couldn’t you combine this with Magicka Detonation? Hard to counter all that burst, but I’m no expert in this case. But it looks like a lot of fun!

Edit: forget it, I had no idea how they butchered Magicka Detonation years ago, lol.

Its fun, but limiting to how you can play. Any magcros best bet is to run dark elf as a race and alternate between stam and mag as updates occur.