The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Sudden freezes after patch

Cruxanero
Cruxanero
✭✭✭✭
Since today, I've been experiencing the screen completely freezing for a short time (usually not more than 2 or 3 seconds). It doesn't go black or anything, the scenery is just frozen and keyboard/mouse inputs aren't registered anymore. When it goes back to normal again, it does so without any further problems (so no disconnects or anything).
It's not as problematic as a game crash, but 2 seconds of a frozen screen can be problematic in a dungeon or BG.

I didn't change anything on my PC, internet is fine as well. I've never experienced this kind of freeze in the game during the last years. Anyone else has this problem, or is it maybe an addon?
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on 12 March 2024 03:20
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic, as it's about troubleshooting on the PC platform.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Cruxanero

As posted here, we are investigated some game freezing issues since Update 41 launched. For now we recommend going through the crashing help article for further troubleshooting.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Cruxanero
    Cruxanero
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure it's useful for you, but:

I play with two different sets of addons. They are identical to 95%, but a few addons differ. One set has the game freezes, one set doesn't have them (and I played a couple hours with both, so it would be a large coincidence that no single freeze occured with the other set).
    The set that has freezes is my "raid setup". It has addons that change the UI and adds information. The set that doesn't have freezes is the complete opposite "story setup". It removes every single thing in the UI (even the mouse cursor icon), and even some things in the environment (like quest map pins and quest pins in the world).

So, probably it is connected to the UI in some way, but just a wild guess.
  • Vitgar
    Vitgar
    Cruxanero wrote: »
    I've never experienced this kind of freeze in the game during the last years. Anyone else has this problem, or is it maybe an addon?

I got 3 freezes in 15 minutes right before TESO left for maintenance. And this has never happened in this game. So I think the culprit is clear - U41.
  • Cruxanero
    Cruxanero
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vitgar wrote: »
    I got 3 freezes in 15 minutes right before TESO left for maintenance. And this has never happened in this game. So I think the culprit is clear - U41.

Of course it's the update, but maybe it's an incompatibility with an addon that got newly introduced now. Do you play with addons?

That being said, I also got a couple freezes in the last 15 minutes before maintenance, and it got worse the closer the maintenance was. Before this it was maybe one freeze every half an hour or so.
  • Vitgar
    Vitgar
    Yes, I use a lot of addons.
    One of them is TTC have such record in last changelog: "Font change that came with U41 broke the unicode encoding. TTC's additional language setting will cause the game to freeze. As a result all language related settings are removed from the settings page until this is fixed."
  • JanTanhide
    JanTanhide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turn off all addons and try again. I had the same thing happening and it was an Addon. That Addon has since been updated and no more issues.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Vitgar

Our FAQ linked below can help with getting add-ons uninstalled.

How do I install / uninstall add-ons?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post