The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

CPU for playing ESO PVP continue

max4342
max4342
Soul Shriven
closed thread:
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/443728/cpu-for-playing-eso-pvp#latest

Hi, I would like to reopen the discussion, again :wink:
I play on PC EU Grey Host, and I'm experiencing serious performance issues, mainly due to my CPU. During large-scale battles, my FPS drops to 0. Has anyone found a good CPU model that handles battles in this mode while maintaining at least 60 FPS? I'm wondering what the recommended configuration is and if the processor needs any extra features to ensure smooth gaming.
I didn't budget for a full PC upgrade this year, so I'm looking for a workaround for my problem.
@Jestir
I didn't post my configuration, because it need fully replacement.(replace cpu= upgrade all and I would like reduce cost) It is CPU issue because on fps drop to 0 moment my cpu has 100 % usage, no chance to optimization game more i tried multiple configuration modes.

I believe best pointer according to cpu performance will be CPU Mark (cpu benchmark website), my garbage cpu has 7055 CPU Mark points :disappointed: for PVE is everything fine, PVP BG and small IC and CYRO battles also is fine.

@N3CR01 post his i5-12600K (27762 points) do you play on greyhost, what is your fps when few ballgroups fighting around?

My friend use AMD 7800X3D (34401 points) and during same battle when i had 0 fps and he has 60 fps. But this CPU is significantly exceeds my financial capabilities.
I'm wondering what the minimum CPU Mark score is that allows for smooth gameplay on Greyhost during few ballgroups fight.

Thanks for help, I really enjoy PvP and don't want to give up so easily :smile:

Edited by max4342 on 8 March 2024 19:12
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For what it's worth, I run ESO on a 5800X3D, RTX3070 and a 144Hz 4K TV with variable refresh rate. I have limited the CPU to 8 cores (no hyper-threading) and the GPU to a 70% power target (via Afterburner) in order to achieve a whisper-quiet PC. With almost all settings cranked to maximum, but using DLSS Quality, the average frame rate is around 100Hz on that setup in 4K. It doesn't vary much whenever I look at it, not even in keep battles in Cyrodiil. That said I find the Cyro population cap very low these days and big battles hard to find (I don't go that often anymore). There was the pop cap test earlier this year, which was both amazing and had terrible server lag on the first day. I don't recall my framerate being bad on that day, just skill delays from server lag. I don't remember whether it dipped below 100Hz.

The 5800X3D does have worse performance than the 7800X3D, but is evidently good enough. I guess that puts a lower bound on your requirements. I can't say what performance level is truly just enough, but suspect 6 cores probably are.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    max4342 wrote: »
    I believe best pointer according to cpu performance will be CPU Mark (cpu benchmark website), my garbage cpu has 7055 CPU Mark points :disappointed: for PVE is everything fine, PVP BG and small IC and CYRO battles also is fine.
    I wouldn't get too hung up on that score, by the way. That website is OK for a quick and dirty comparison but, for example, it barely captures the impact of 3D vcache in it's numbers. Not that I know anything about the benefit of that to ESO, or otherwise. I simply bought my system, because I intend on using it unchanged for the next 10 years. Prior to this, I was running ESO on an ancient Core 2 Quad Q9650 with a passmark score of 2462, 8GB RAM and a GTX970 at 1080p. Large Cyro battles would tank the frame rate into the teens, e.g. 10 to 20 FPS. Unplayable? Yes, but not zero, not a slideshow.

I took a guess what your current CPU might be. It's an i7-4770 isn't it? That is quite a lot better than my old Q9650, especially the single-threaded score, which usually counts the most for gaming.

Do you have a laptop? A desktop? This never happened to me, so maybe it's not that frequent, but maybe the thermal paste on your CPU has dried up and the CPU is thermal throttling? Maybe the case / fans need a good clean? Have you checked fan speeds and temps with something like CPUID Hardware Monitor.

I was considering buying a Haswell generation system second hand at one point. It would have been a big upgrade over my Q9650.

What's your GPU and resolution, by the way?
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not about scores at all, and surely not just about CPU alone. But if you insist my Ryzen 5 3600 gave me smooth 60 all the way MYM, gl with your investigation.
  • N3CR01
    N3CR01
    ✭✭✭✭
    I played peak time on Saturday during the PVP event that was on last week and not once dropped lower than 90fps, even at one point we had a heavy 3 way battle for one of the keeps and there were peoples everywhere.
    Edited by N3CR01 on 9 March 2024 17:29
  • Jestir
    Jestir
    ✭✭✭✭
    The cheapest thing would be for you to tell us what cpu and motherboard you actually have so we recommend the best possible CPU that can be used without changing any other PC part, like say you had an Intel 6500 like I did you could drop in a Intel 7700 for a noticable improvement in multicore performance (although this is only an example as it isn't too much of a gain in single core)

If your just looking for a "good CPU" we still need to know what the CPU socket and motherboard are or you might just get recommended CPUs that would require you to a new one any way, if you have to replace both than any recent ryzen ?700 (I would think the more budget ?500 would work as well) Would be more than enough you would just have to make sure it works with your current ram

I ran the game off a ryzen 7 3700x + GTX 1060 6gb at 1080p 60fps with little issue for the last few years, if I didn't just make a new build I would have just slotted in a ryzen 7 5800x3d and a newer GPU to save some money
    Edited by Jestir on 9 March 2024 16:16
  • max4342
    max4342
    Soul Shriven
    @fred4 yes it is desktop 4770(cooling is fine), 5-20fps is standard during big fight, that drop to 0fps happened only during big PUSH fight ballgroups, performance in that moment is critical for me ;/ when game back to normal I always die, in logs is approx 100 action against me under 1 second and cpu usage monitor show 100 % usage during that 0fps drop, gpu: 1080 with fullHD
    hard to compare cpu between players because we have different addons, best comparison is use same addons, same fight(best same place in map), then compare fps, but this is hard to do, and i can only ask for help
    [for other acitivity in eso my pc is more then enough for good fun always 60 fps] so ganking is fine :heart:

@colossalvoids thank you.

@Jestir trust me mate I known a lot about it, and if I tell my configuration is outdated it is :smile:
    I try balance CPU, performance in ESO, and few other production and low cost, I known I have to buy new cpu, mobo and ram maybe psu, but im ready for that
    I wish spend about 700 mb more, but i have to define my requirements and make decision, but if i can find cheaper temporary solution probably i will do that. I didn't expect this expense and I didn't budget for it in this year

@N3CR01 its not my configuration :wink: probably someone else wrote this
  • N3CR01
    N3CR01
    ✭✭✭✭
    max4342 wrote: »
    @N3CR01 its not my configuration :wink: probably someone else wrote this

Sorry, I thought you were the OP of the other thread. My bad.
  • Jestir
    Jestir
    ✭✭✭✭
    So an upgrade for a 4770 is kinda a tough one but I can still think of 2 things

The only real drop in upgrade is the 4790k, which can be bought for under a 100$ online but truthfully isn't that much of an improvement

If the processor is the "k" variant you could look into overclocking in an attempt to get more out of it but that would also push your cooling solution
  • max4342
    max4342
    Soul Shriven
    Jestir wrote: »
    So an upgrade for a 4770 is kinda a tough one but I can still think of 2 things

The only real drop in upgrade is the 4790k, which can be bought for under a 100$ online but truthfully isn't that much of an improvement
    4790K - 8067 CPU Mark
    my garbage - 7055 CPU Mark
    yes, improvement will be negligible, comparing with new platform. That's why I don't even consider this solution