The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

what drives you to play, or not to play?

randomguy
randomguy
✭✭✭
i'm struggling if I want to keep playing ESO. I enjoy it overall. The gameplay is good. I have a decent amount of friends and guilds with events. However, it is almost a daily occurrence for someone to says something rude, especially from offline mode. I know the typical response I am going to get is "just ignore people" or "go in offline mode" or "its the internet", but I think that engaging with people is some of the best parts about playing an MMO.

So I was wondering, what makes you want to play ESO besides the players? And what kinds of content do you avoid to avoid inappropriate player behavior? how do you manage your own ability to deal with people in a way that allows you to enjoy the game?
anything over a 4 man is a zerg, anything over a duo is sweaty. true pvp is erp and telling ahtu to shut up
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    multiple things are fun to me that i can do alone like

- decorating homes
    - the infinite Archive
    - story quests
    - doing daily quests like for delves or world bosses
    - Tales of Tribute with npcs
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Seriously way too long queue times now days after pop cap reduction again in mid January. No reason to log in if the queue is going to be an hour or more before you can play.
  • Vaqual
    Vaqual
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just imagine what kind of person would feel the need to to hurt your feelings for something you did in game. And then be happy that you are not that person.
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    randomguy wrote: »
    So I was wondering, what makes you want to play ESO besides the players? And what kinds of content do you avoid to avoid inappropriate player behavior? how do you manage your own ability to deal with people in a way that allows you to enjoy the game?

pvp.

It can be frustrating at times but there is no time to chat or think.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i enjoy playing the game, but i still take breaks when i feel like im getting burned out farming stuff lol

i still want to finish my collections (gear, etc) but a lot of that is time consuming (mostly the gear that comes from dungeons or trials)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy being able to create characters how I want and there are a lot of solo activities that I enjoy depending on my mood — questing, housing, exploring, Infinite Archive. When there are people I’m regularly running dungeons, trials, or PVP with, that certainly makes me even more invested in the game.

I’m sorry you’ve had bad experiences! I’ve definitely experienced toxic or otherwise stressful environments in gaming before, in ESO thankfully it’s never been anything that leaving a group or putting someone on ignore doesn’t fix. Sometimes, all sorts of nonsense bothers me, in which case I just close the chat window and do whatever solo activity appeals at the time.
  • NeuroticPixels
    NeuroticPixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To play: events with tickets.
    Not to play: other games.
    Check out the ReShade I made: Crispy Sharpness
  • ellmarie
    ellmarie
    ✭✭✭
    If you can find some really good guilds, I would suggest that. Playing with likeminded people can be much more enjoyable. I really like helping people questing and such. I had people that helped me when I started playing, so I like to do the same. I stopped doing randoms and trials though. Better to do that with guild members.

Xbox X- NA
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This game has playable cats (kahjiits), good artwork/graphics, the best forums ever because they're vanilla flavored, and a huge variety of dungeons.

That's why I play eso besides its a very fun game.
    Edited by wilykcat on 21 February 2024 22:06
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play PvE solo and my interactions with other players are minimal. Some are unavoidable and irritating - like exploding mounts that obscure my screen for a second or two when summoned. Others are easy to deal with - like players racing ahead of me for resource nodes. I have LOTS of resources so I figure the average player needs the node more than I. In fact I'll often dodgeroll away when two of us are going for the same node. Overall, I find the game very solo friendly so the fact that it is multiplayer is a drawback that is not hard to live with. Regardless, the game has so much to do that it never gets old for me - and that is doing only stuff that I enjoy.

PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • GooGa592
    GooGa592
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't play if can't get into the campaign without a 1-2 hour que. So no reason to even try or log on. The wait time just isn't worth it.
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO is just a side game to me, to chill solo and relax aside of my main. So it's easy and comfortable: Since I feel no obligation of any sort and have no objectives either, my only motor is my mood: I feel for it, I play, otherwise, am doing something else without any worries (for example, I don't care skipping daily writs, daily endeavor and such ).
    I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message... PC/NA
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What drives me to play ESO is the sheer pleasure I get from running around Tamriel doing whatever strikes my fancy. There is so much available to do that I can always find something to do, and I could spend hours doing it.

What drives me to not play ESO is the attraction of other games that I'm also actively playing, or am interested in starting to play. I'm currently doing leisurely playthroughs of Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion, and I recently started playing The Bard's Tale I and Baldur's Gate I (among others). Each of those games scratches a certain itch, although I generally prefer the "real-time action" of The Elder Scrolls over turn-based games such as The Bard's Tale and Baldur's Gate.

Anyway, on some days I do a "bare minimum" of things in ESO and then log out so I can play Daggerfall or some other game for several hours. But that doesn't mean I'm bored with ESO; I'm just trying to give myself some variety.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For your situation specifically: I'm in 2 good guilds who usually have busy chat, so they're the people I'm talking to regularly. I do have zone chat on but rarely pay attention to it and if someone is annoying I'll just turn it off for a bit (or block them). If I want to talk about something most of the time I'll put it in guild chat instead of trying to talk to whoever happens to be around, which has the added benefit that the conversation can continue even if I swap zones or characters.

But what drives me to play is that I've been a fan of the Elder Scrolls world(s) since I got TES III and this game is the best chance I've got of being able to see all of Tamriel and various bits beyond it. I like the quests and stories and exploring the zones, so that's what I spend most of my time doing.

In general I like that I can do that with other people around, cooperating when we happen to be doing the same thing without having to pre-arrange to set up a party and then going our seperate ways when it suits us. I think the only time it's annoying for me is when I've just reached a boss at the end of a quest chain, it looks like I'm alone and I'm looking forward to the fight, then suddenly the room is full of people, the boss died in 2 seconds flat because they don't scale and I feel like it killed the moment.

I know it wouldn't be difficult to do it solo, but it still feels like a let-down when the quest has been building up to fighting this person then they don't get time to say their dialogue, or use a single attack and I only know I hit them because the quest has progressed.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I play every day, there is so much stuff I can do without involving other people.

Having said that I am often just chatting to guildies and can lose an hour here and there without even trying!

I NEVER use the group finder, too many bad experiences, I know my limitations in dungeons and trials, I really don't need rude people pointing them out to me.

Some days I'm grumpy(aren't we all?) and on those days I avoid chat completely, I don't want to be the person or persons I am trying to avoid!

Edit:- My mother used to say to me "If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all", I still try to remember that to this day. 💕

Edited by freespirit on 9 March 2024 13:50
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!