The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

StamSorc - Problem with using Crystal Frags in groups

Sleeping_OwI
Sleeping_OwI
✭✭✭
So I still hadn't decided on whether to use Crystal Frags or Bound Arms as my second spammable on my new stamSorc, but then I realized a problem with using Crystal frag in groups.

So with 2 pets, we got no space for crit
surge and camo hunter, so we gotta use weapon potions instead, right? And that gives you only weapon crit, not spell crit. And Sorc's passive from Frag's tree gives you minor spell crit, not weapon crit.

So when we use frag with weapon pots, we get major weapon crit and minor spell crit and these dont stack, and since abilities' damage is based on your highest stats, basically 6% crit chance gets wasted here which really sucks.

What do people do about this? Is it just accepted as a negative side-effect? Is Frag so strong that it's still worth using over Bound Armament despite missing that 6% crit chance? Or is there some sort of work-around to this that I haven't noticed?
Edited by Sleeping_OwI on 16 January 2024 13:36
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Most people just accept it as it is at this point.

This is part of the many issues with the hybridization changes that many of us have raised with ZOS for a long time now, that we are all still waiting on an answer for.

Potions would ideally just give both weapon/spell damage + weapon/spell crit (not, one or other) + either/both resources, but until that happens this will always be an issue because of how half finished hybridization is (potions, mundus, attributes, etc. are all still not hybridized).
  • BixenteN7Akantor
    BixenteN7Akantor
    ✭✭✭
    Bound Armaments is quite common in PvP
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best answer is to group up with a Nightblade, they will provide you with the minor weapon crit buff to stack with your potions.

Alternatively you can find a way to get the major spell crit buff. Camo hunter is difficult to fit on a pet build, but usually worth it for solo content IMO (gives some minor berserk, ult gen, and spell/weapon damage for slotting). Or you can use spell crit + Magicka potions, assuming you don’t need the extra stamina sustain.

And yes, they should really finish hybridization, including potions.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on 16 January 2024 14:33
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you are alone, you can use spell power potions or drop one pet.
    Either way, you can partially offset the downside of either option.
    I would drop the pet..

In a group, you don't care, if you group with a DK or a Nightblade. Or both. 💡😊
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • benzenexz
    benzenexz
    ✭✭✭
    So I still hadn't decided on whether to use Crystal Frags or Bound Arms as my second spammable on my new stamSorc, but then I realized a problem with using Crystal frag in groups.

surge and camo hunter, so we gotta use weapon potions instead, right? And that gives you only weapon crit, not spell crit. And Sorc's passive from Frag's tree gives you minor spell crit, not weapon crit.

So when we use frag with weapon pots, we get major weapon crit and minor spell crit and these dont stack, and since abilities' damage is based on your highest stats, basically 6% crit chance gets wasted here which really sucks.

What do people do about this? Is it just accepted as a negative side-effect? Is Frag so strong that it's still worth using over Bound Armament despite missing that 6% crit chance? Or is there some sort of work-around to this that I haven't noticed?

use weapon pot that adds spell dmg and spell crit, solution is simple
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just run a one-bar Oakensoul build, problem solved. ;)
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Sleeping_OwI
    Sleeping_OwI
    ✭✭✭
    benzenexz wrote: »

If only that were possible.. :)
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    benzenexz wrote: »

If only that were possible.. :)

It is 100% possible. Unfortunately what OP isn't mentioning is how Spell DMG/Crit pots only come with Magicka. As a Stam Sorc, that may be a little hard for some to lose the 30% stam regen and burst resources, but it is possible to do. I actually use these pots in PVP, although in PVP, mag regen is a lot more important because you Dark Deal so much so I can get away without the 30% stam regen, but you definitely feel it.

Try it out though, it may work for you, especially if you run more magicka skills like Wall of Elements on back bar.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit