The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

What are monsters?

Araneae6537
Araneae6537
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Have sets like Storm Master only ever boosted damage “against monsters”? Probably something I’ve previously overlooked, but I’m trying to figure out what it means exactly.

Does boosting damage “against monsters” mean that animals, daedra, non-monsteous humanoids, automatons, fabricants, and undead are all unaffected? I guess the sets would be still be useful for Sunspire, but not for a lot of dungeons and trials. :/

Best Answers

• Treeshka
    Treeshka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything that is not player.
    Answer ✓
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heavy Attack builds were considered too powerful in PvP so a lot of heavy attack related sets and buffs were changed to "against monsters". It just means they work in PvE, and against NPC guards and stuff like that in PvP, but not against other players in PvP.
    Answer ✓
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Treeshka wrote: »

Is this for certain? Why not say NPCs then, like the Preparation CP passive? When an endeavor says monsters, a specific type of enemy is indicated. And the more I look into this, I don’t think that sets such as Storm Masters used to specify “against monsters,” but I don’t know when this was changed.

Yes, its anything that's not a player and yes you are correct it was not always like that. It was added because HA builds were deemed unfair in PvP due to having little counterplay, so the HA sets got changed to only work against NPCs. I'm not sure why they chose the wording they did.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
    Answer ✓
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this for certain? Why not say NPCs then, like the Preparation CP passive? When an endeavor says monsters, a specific type of enemy is indicated. And the more I look into this, I don’t think that sets such as Storm Masters used to specify “against monsters,” but I don’t know when this was changed.
    Edited by Araneae6537 on 5 January 2024 23:27
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all for the help! :relaxed:
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because "NPC" implies a character, and it isn't just against non-player characters.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »

Because "NPC" implies a character, and it isn't just against non-player characters.

Technically, but it still seems a more general term than “monsters”, especially since the term is given specific meaning in achievements and endeavors. Non-player opponents? Anyway, now I know, and I’m glad those sets have been nerfed as severally as I feared (as in only working on monster monsters)!