The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

I'm tired of my MagPlar being a Healer, but im afraid of change

ArchMikem
ArchMikem
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I have an Argonian Templar, who's always been a dedicated Healer. But lately I've grown dissatisfied with always being a Healer, and I'd like to play a Templar DD for once. I just don't want to roll another character, and I'm also hesitant to make a drastic change to a character I have fully built. I guess really I just need a little direction.

What's a good, basic DD build for Templars? What sets would i need to farm. I'm not even certain if I want to stay Magic or roll a StamPlar instead, as I am a little partial to Melee style combat at the moment. I just don't want to use Jabs as the spammable.
CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am really, really not into builds and extracting the best from them but my Magplar is the character I go to for pretty much every type of content, she is Breton though not Argonian.

I just thought I would tell you the sets I use because they are very easy to aquire, however I must say I would never run without jabs, especially when soloing stuff.

So she wears 5 x Order's Wrath, 5 x Deadly, 1x Slimecraw, an Oakensoul ring and currently Thief Mundus.... I have never coped well with bar swapping, so Oakensoul is great for me.

I use a lightning staff but I believe daggers are viable for mag builds too, although I have no experience of that.

This setup gets me through many 4 mans solo, WB's also Solo and with a tanky companion is fine for up to Arc 3 in IA, probably further but I get bored.

Anyway it's easy to aquire and cheap, so maybe a great starting point to see if you like DD?

When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • Foxtrot39
    Foxtrot39
    ✭✭✭✭
    Save your current build with the armory feature so you're just a few clics away to reset

Then try out some stuff or watch a guide

I was crap at being NB DD and not happy about my abysmall damage so I became a NB tank after a few builds tested for vet trial content
    Edited by Foxtrot39 on 4 January 2024 01:01
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can save your healer "loadout" in the armory and create a new build which you can save as build 2. It's not that big of a deal anymore with the armory. What you will run into though is the fact that while Argonian is quite ideal for support roles, its not really well suited to be a DPS character. Not that it will be bad, but you can expect to perform roughly 5-7% lower than one of the top DPS races (High Elf, Dark Elf, Khajit).

As for build, it really depends on what you want your focus to be. If you want the best single target you can get, you can go relequins and deadly. If you want better overall performance against groups, Sul-Xan's is great to give you increased crit chance/damage vs. groups. War Maiden is good for giving you a huge boost to your magical damage abilities. There are a lot of sets you could run, but there's pros/cons for each build so you need to figure out what your focus will be and then build around that focus.
  • TheSpaceDuck
    TheSpaceDuck
    Soul Shriven
    I run ddplar for all my trials.
    Boss set up
    Body: rele(single target) or ansuul (overall)
    W&J: AC (non mobile boss), PoN, FB (Sunspire or Taleria) or deadly
    Can run Velothi and run a set up like this
    (My yolna HM)
    Zaan head and shoulder
    Rele chest, legs, hand, feet and nirn dagger
    Flame blossum belt, rings dagger and staff
    Velothi.

Trash (look at yolna hm for this)
    Balorg (prob misspelled)
    Sul zan or deadly
    Whorl or PoN
    Velothi

Jabs is still a good spammable if not the best imo.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree with Relequen or Ansuuls on the body, and can add Whorl to that list. If you are using Deadly Cloak, Berserking Warrior jewelry and daggers on the front, VMA flame staff on the back, and either full set of Kjalnar monster, or kilt + 1 piece Slimecraw. Or go Soulshine with a staff instead of Berserking with daggers and go with Velothi amulet + 1 piece Slimecraw
    Edited by El_Borracho on 4 January 2024 21:32
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started really diving into the world of using dual wield stam weapons on a Magic Build and I'm out of water in this. How are you supposed to Sustain when you can't weave Heavy Attacks? I attempted using the Siphoning Champion passive but that doesn't work for Boss fights.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ArchMikem Templar, in one of its many nerfs, has run into a rather persistent sustain problem, and its not because of melee weapons on the front bar. Which is annoying as Magplar used to be one of the easiest classes for damage, rotation, and sustain.

A lot depends on if you are running raids, trials, or solo content. Obviously raids will give you synergies and buffs for sustain. For the others, a normal light attack rotation should be okay to keep your mag on the front bar at a low but sustainable level, if you can be comfortable with that. If its still close, I've used Radiant Aura for regen. If neither work, or you are uncomfortable with low mag resources, just double bar staves. Its not a massive dropoff in damage; however, you would not be able to run a melee damage proc set like Berserking, but you could use Mother's Sorrow (the old tried and true) or just go meta with Nirn weapons and jewelry.