The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Arcanist tome-bearer's inspiration discrepancy

JYBlu5062
JYBlu5062
Soul Shriven
I noticed that I have differences in the amount of crux I gain from my initial attacks after beginning combat when utilizing the combination of tome-bearer's inspiration (it's morphs) and various arcanist skills.

To test out my observations I used the following sequence:
  • Prebuff with tomb-bearer's inspiration (I made sure I had no other buffs active at the time)
  • light attack to engage the target dummy in combat
  • then ONE use of an arcanist skill that generates crux

With Cephaliarch's Flail, Runic-Jolt and its morphs, I gained 2 crux during the initial combat sequences. Indicating to me that tomb-bearer's inspiration is likely proccing in the initial combat sequence.
With Runeblades and its morphs, I gained 1 crux during the initial combat sequences. Indicating to me that tomb-bearer's inspiration IS NOT proccing in the initial combat sequence.

When I use a skill such as fatecarver and its morphs to deplete all my crux, I will gain a crux when I have none while tome-bearer's inspiration is active as per its conditions. In all subsequent cycles of generating and using crux, there doesn't appear to be any discrepancy in the amount of crux generated between the various skills.

Are the observations I've made a known issue that is being looked into? Or is this how the skills are supposed to work?
Edited by JYBlu5062 on 30 December 2023 19:32
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Read the tooltip of the skill again. Unfortunately, it only generates crux if you do damage with an arcanist skill. I’d be down to have it count for chakram at least… struggling to get the skill to work on my healer because literally nothing worth running on a healer procs it.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • JYBlu5062
    JYBlu5062
    Soul Shriven
    I was testing all skills that generated crux. The tooltip of tome-bearer's inspiration reads:
    • Each pulse enhances your class abilities, and striking an enemy with one deals an additional 1161 Magic Damage and generates Crux if you have none.
    It didn't appear to me that tome-bearer's inspiration was working properly with Runeblades, which based on the tool tip, it should.
    Edited by JYBlu5062 on 30 December 2023 19:56
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the way combat is initiated, this works for all actions not just Runeblades. Depending on your distance away from the target you either get placed into combat before an ability fires or for long distance attacks after the attack hits. In the case of Runeblades as your first attack you get placed into combat AFTER the first bolt does damage, subsequent hits of it does not trigger the other ability only the first initial hit. Tentacle slap is close range so generally you'll be in combat right before it hits unless you sneak attack with it.

If you want Runeblades to give you 2 Crux, you need to be in combat phase before it does damage with the first bolt. This means running up to the mobs for them to notice and engage you. Against players you have to do damage with something else or place a debuff on them first as the notice effect only works with mobs.

Diamond's Victory is a good set to test out the "in combat" scenario as it doesn't trigger its bonuses until combat is in progress, opening hits won't proc range/melee supremacy buff, but the next ability used will once combat is active.