The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What’s to pair with deadly strike gear (magplar staff build)

Wilkesy91
Wilkesy91
Hi just need help finding what to pair with deadly striker, 3 jewellery and staff on front bar, what set is ideal to put with it for sustain and damage ?

Iv looked at newer builds but most say whorl of depths on the the body and nirn jewellery with inferno on front bar and lighting on the back. So I have taken this on board but it feels so clunky and sustain doesn’t feel as good. Many people have told me to use deadly strike so I can use that on the front bar with jewls and staff but what should I pair it was, looking more for group content aoe trash sets tbh that can be used in trials and dungeon, im cp 600 at the moment

Also any recommendations on monster helm and shoulders, currently use zaan but I know that’s mainly for single target.

Please take kilt out of the equation for now. 5 piece set, 2 piece monster paired with deadly strike what I’m needing
Edited by Wilkesy91 on 5 December 2023 20:49
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think the velothi mythic can work OK on a templar, since you do get a lot of your dmg from skills like if your a jab or beam spammer

usually its fire back bar because of the wall, lightning would be front bar on a templar since it buffs direct dmg (jabs)

my stamplar is currently using pillar of nirn + whorl of the depths with stormfist monster

i think a similar build could work for magplar, stormfist would boost stam recovery which would help stam sustain on a mag setup and it hits hard and can be good for aoe or single target

on my setup i use whorl on jewelry/front bar weapon and pillar on body, since i need the medium armor being a stam build

i use the templar rune to help with sustain because it adds roughly 240 per second recovery to either mag or stam (depending on the morph)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Options
  • Nilandia
    Nilandia
    ✭✭✭
    You'll generally see a lot of builds using pillar of Nirn, whorl of the depths, Relequen, and similar sets for dummy parses. They're great for single target fights with an enemy that doesn't move. Unfortunately, most content doesn't work that way.

The sets you run in actual content depend heavily on what you're running, such as whether you're in solo or group content, which trial/dungeon you're in, the difficulty level, or even which boss or trash pull you're looking at.

If you're going with just overland content, pretty much anything will work fine.

In trials, your group will generally supply you with enough penetration so you can run medium armor.

For dungeons, you need to worry more about your penetration, so light armor becomes more useful. Light armor is also helpful for sustain, which you'll need more in a 4 man group with fewer supports.

Some sets that may be helpful include:
    - Deadly is awesome for a templar and it's usually my starting point when making a new gear setup. Good damage boost without having to do anything to maintain it. You'll almost always want to pair it with a trial set for minor slayer.
    - Ansuul is also a decent damage boost if you're looking for something to "set and forget," but gets better if you can work in some interrupts for additional damage.
    - Azureblight in fights with lots of enemies close together such as trash packs or Reef Guardian in Dreadsail Reef. Used to be only 1 person would run it, but that's changed recently. Arcanists really make this shine, but templars can at least get use out of it. We used to be awesome, but jabs no longer add stacks like they used to.
    - Sul-Xan is amazing if enemies are dying frequently enough to keep the buff going. This is generally my standard first set for trash fights. Some bosses also work well with it if they have lots of small adds.
    - Relequen is nice if you're good at light attack weaving while in combat to keep your stacks up. Best for single target fights.
    - Pillar of Nirn is good if you can proc it on cooldown reliably. It does have a tiny AOE, so it's best for single target fights to focus your damage on the priority target.
    - Whorl of the depths is great, especially as a light set, but it relies on enemies remaining within the AOE to take damage. If you're in a mobile fight, it becomes much less helpful.
    - Bahsei is powerful if you can keep it going, but I don't like the upkeep. I've used it in Cloudrest, but not many other places.
    - Order's wrath is one of the best craftable sets out there, and one I still use in dungeons. Because it's crafted, you can get it in either light or medium depending on what you need. It's also another great "set and forget."
    - Kvatch Gladiator is an option in fights where you need to burn through execute quickly, such as boss 1 and 3 in Sanity's Edge. It's another crafted set, so you have options for light or medium.
    - Burning spellweave and mechanical acuity are phenomenal for burst fights where you need to nuke something fast, though you wouldn't want to wear them both together. Mechanical acuity is another crafted set.

I also tend to default to a mythic, generally either Velothi or Mora's, and 1 piece Slimecraw, rather than using a 2 piece monster set.

If you are looking for a monster set, that also depends on the situation.
    - Nerien'eth was my go-to, though it's less reliable when jabs went from 4 to 3 strikes per cast. It's still pretty decent for a single target fight.
    - Zaan is best for single target fights, and will even work on dragons and Taleria in Dreadsail Reef. You'll want to keep your light attack weaving up to get the best use out of it.
    - Stormfist is another decent single target set, though I haven't run it too much.
    - Kjalnar is nice, but generally only one person can run it in the group.
    - Balorgh is fantastic for a nuke. I use it in some boss fights in the archive and it's done really well.

To finish it all off, I use an arena weapon on the back bar, typically a maelstrom inferno staff.
    Edited by Nilandia on 5 December 2023 20:55
    Options
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try vMA 2H on backbar. Stampede gives a nice boost to Sweep spam (sweeps only, no heavy attacks). Also Rally, since templar have no Major Sorc/Brut access, unless something has changed, i don't know. And Carve is nice dot.

Also you get some sustain, because you're using stamina skills, thus reducing pressure on magicka use.
    Options
  • Wilkesy91
    Wilkesy91
    Nilandia wrote: »
    You'll generally see a lot of builds using pillar of Nirn, whorl of the depths, Relequen, and similar sets for dummy parses. They're great for single target fights with an enemy that doesn't move. Unfortunately, most content doesn't work that way.

The sets you run in actual content depend heavily on what you're running, such as whether you're in solo or group content, which trial/dungeon you're in, the difficulty level, or even which boss or trash pull you're looking at.

If you're going with just overland content, pretty much anything will work fine.

In trials, your group will generally supply you with enough penetration so you can run medium armor.

For dungeons, you need to worry more about your penetration, so light armor becomes more useful. Light armor is also helpful for sustain, which you'll need more in a 4 man group with fewer supports.

Some sets that may be helpful include:
    - Deadly is awesome for a templar and it's usually my starting point when making a new gear setup. Good damage boost without having to do anything to maintain it. You'll almost always want to pair it with a trial set for minor slayer.
    - Ansuul is also a decent damage boost if you're looking for something to "set and forget," but gets better if you can work in some interrupts for additional damage.
    - Azureblight in fights with lots of enemies close together such as trash packs or Reef Guardian in Dreadsail Reef. Used to be only 1 person would run it, but that's changed recently. Arcanists really make this shine, but templars can at least get use out of it. We used to be awesome, but jabs no longer add stacks like they used to.
    - Sul-Xan is amazing if enemies are dying frequently enough to keep the buff going. This is generally my standard first set for trash fights. Some bosses also work well with it if they have lots of small adds.
    - Relequen is nice if you're good at light attack weaving while in combat to keep your stacks up. Best for single target fights.
    - Pillar of Nirn is good if you can proc it on cooldown reliably. It does have a tiny AOE, so it's best for single target fights to focus your damage on the priority target.
    - Whorl of the depths is great, especially as a light set, but it relies on enemies remaining within the AOE to take damage. If you're in a mobile fight, it becomes much less helpful.
    - Bahsei is powerful if you can keep it going, but I don't like the upkeep. I've used it in Cloudrest, but not many other places.
    - Order's wrath is one of the best craftable sets out there, and one I still use in dungeons. Because it's crafted, you can get it in either light or medium depending on what you need. It's also another great "set and forget."
    - Kvatch Gladiator is an option in fights where you need to burn through execute quickly, such as boss 1 and 3 in Sanity's Edge. It's another crafted set, so you have options for light or medium.
    - Burning spellweave and mechanical acuity are phenomenal for burst fights where you need to nuke something fast, though you wouldn't want to wear them both together. Mechanical acuity is another crafted set.

I also tend to default to a mythic, generally either Velothi or Mora's, and 1 piece Slimecraw, rather than using a 2 piece monster set.

If you are looking for a monster set, that also depends on the situation.
    - Nerien'eth was my go-to, though it's less reliable when jabs went from 4 to 3 strikes per cast. It's still pretty decent for a single target fight.
    - Zaan is best for single target fights, and will even work on dragons and Taleria in Dreadsail Reef. You'll want to keep your light attack weaving up to get the best use out of it.
    - Stormfist is another decent single target set, though I haven't run it too much.
    - Kjalnar is nice, but generally only one person can run it in the group.
    - Balorgh is fantastic for a nuke. I use it in some boss fights in the archive and it's done really well.

To finish it all off, I use an arena weapon on the back bar, typically a maelstrom inferno staff.

Very informative, cheers. I’ll give orders wrath clothes and deadly jewls and staff a go
    Options
  • Luckylancer
    Luckylancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People wrote a lot for a simple answer.
    Overland, normal difficulty content: Sul-Xan's Torment + deadly + slimeclaw + wild hunt ring
    Soloing stuff (bosses): relequen + deadly + slimeclaw + pale order
    Proper content trash: Sul-Xan's Torment + deadly + slimeclaw + harpooners
    Proper content boss: relequen + deadly + slimeclaw + harpooners

Use these and you are covered up for 95% of the content. Just drop Sul for always releq or order's wrath if you want.

I think he copypasted from Alcast's site.
    Options
  • Nilandia
    Nilandia
    ✭✭✭
    I wrote a lot because the simple answer is, "It depends."

There is no single best build for all content, or even single best build for bosses or trash (sorry, base pop). It's also helpful to know why certain sets will work and why others won't for certain situations. Game balance changes will still happen, but being able to recognize what works will help in future changes.
    Options
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To add 1 set to @Nilandia comprehensive list, Soulshine always worked well with a Magplar because Puncturing Sweep has a 0.8 second channeling time and Radiant Oppression has a 1.8 second channel time. Both will proc the damage buff, which does not have a cooldown.

Its not going to outperform Ansuuls, but I think it works better than Azureblight or Nirn on a Magplar
    Options
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nilandia wrote: »
    ... "It depends."
    There is no single best build for all content ...

Totally true. Magplar can even pull off a perma shield build when SOLOing super hard content, like EA Arc4+. With Hexos Ward, Prayer Shawl and Iceheart. I love that one.

But that is so far away from META single target Boss setups, like Pillar, Deadly, Zaan +Kilt.
    Edited by Zodiarkslayer on 11 December 2023 21:28
    read, think and write.In that order.
    Options
  • Wilkesy91
    Wilkesy91
    Overland, normal difficulty content: Sul-Xan's Torment + deadly + slimeclaw + wild hunt ring

Use these and you are covered up for 95% of the content. Just drop Sul for always releq or order's wrath if you want.

Sul and deadly are both medium aren’t they? What a light alternative for sul for trash usage like for dungeons/trials…
    Options
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wilkesy91 wrote: »

Sul and deadly are both medium aren’t they? What a light alternative for sul for trash usage like for dungeons/trials…

I don't know why overland content is even an issue, as you can wear trash and be okay, but the old "medium for stamina, light for magicka" rule has been loosened with hybridization and the changes they made to armor over the last 2 years. While light is probably optimal for magicka, its not devastating to a build to wear medium.

If you are looking for a light armor set to go with Deadly jewels and weapons, I'd go with Whorl. Alternatives are Bahsei's (have to play the low magicka game) or Master Architect (if you are in a group without a ROJO healer).
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know why overland content is even an issue, as you can wear trash and be okay, but the old "medium for stamina, light for magicka" rule has been loosened with hybridization and the changes they made to armor over the last 2 years. While light is probably optimal for magicka, its not devastating to a build to wear medium.

If you are looking for a light armor set to go with Deadly jewels and weapons, I'd go with Whorl. Alternatives are Bahsei's (have to play the low magicka game) or Master Architect (if you are in a group without a ROJO healer).

while you can wear medium armor on a mag build, it will seriously hurt your sustain for your primary spammable (lack -cost to mag abilities, -mag recov while wearing medium armor)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    Options
  • Nilandia
    Nilandia
    ✭✭✭
    Wearing medium assumes you have enough penetration to overcome enemy resistances. That's usually taken care of in trials with coordinated supports, so you can usually get away with two medium sets in trials, but not so much in dungeons. Plus, light armor can help with sustain that will likely be tighter in dungeons.

If you're running deadly, you can try whorl of the depths so you have minor slayer, but it isn't as helpful in very mobile fights. Bahsei can work and also provides minor slayer, though you need to have low magicka for it to be worth it and templar sustain is notoriously bad. Order's wrath is a crafted set so you can have it in light, but it won't provide minor slayer.
    Options
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

while you can wear medium armor on a mag build, it will seriously hurt your sustain for your primary spammable (lack -cost to mag abilities, -mag recov while wearing medium armor)

It can, and I have seen the effects on Magplar and Mag DK. But if you are building for an organized raid group with shards and orbs, it can get by. I run light armor on mag, but that's just a personal preference thing.
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It can, and I have seen the effects on Magplar and Mag DK. But if you are building for an organized raid group with shards and orbs, it can get by. I run light armor on mag, but that's just a personal preference thing.

yeah in say a trial group, its usually not a huge difference

if your in a small group (dungeon, archive, or solo) it makes a huge difference without the outside sustain help
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    Options