The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Anyone else find Apocrypha visually disappointing? [minor spoilers]

YffresTrill
YffresTrill
✭✭✭✭
So I finally made it to Apocrypha. And... it's a bit of a let-down.

When I picture a region called the Endless Library, the majority of it looks like... a library, not Fallout with floaty bits:

eso64-2023-10-24-22-31-25.png
eso64-2023-10-24-21-47-24.png

Maybe it's just me, but should Hermaeus Mora's realm be so devoid of books? Some of the interior areas definitely create the sort of vibe I was hoping for:

eso64-2023-10-22-17-44-46.png

But that's a tiny minority of the zone.
Edited by YffresTrill on 25 October 2023 12:14
@ Yffre'sTrill - PC/EU (No Steam)
-
Naering (Bosmer WW Archer - Valenwood separatist, Hircine-agnostic, honoured affiliate of the Gang of Scroungers.)
Alts: Kunali, Free-as-Wind, Gurzog gro-Kosh, Seldril, Hatiba, Kareemal, Gilfirion, Elorwe, Ludvikke, Tsetha-Vos, Loulou Villeau, and Nilvani.
  • metheglyn
    metheglyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't care for Apocrypha in general; in particular the omnipresent green made me a bit nauseous. But I knew going in I wouldn't like it, based on my encounters with it in previous games, so I can't say I was disappointed or let down.

However, I didn't think there was a lack of books--in Cipher's Midden most of the structural bits are piles of books. There are books everywhere throughout the zone, often in gigantic piles that you might not realize are books until you get closer.

It's definitely not a library in the classic sense, and Hermaeus Mora seems to have no organizational skills, but I think there are books aplenty.
  • YffresTrill
    YffresTrill
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am aware of the piles of books, but they are placed around sporadically or concentrated in a few areas (like, as you say, Cipher's Midden) while most of the clutter objects in the zone are plants and rocks, just like anywhere else.

Sure, there are books, but they don't dominate the space enough to make the zone feel like the planar library it supposedly is.
    -
    Naering (Bosmer WW Archer - Valenwood separatist, Hircine-agnostic, honoured affiliate of the Gang of Scroungers.)
    Alts: Kunali, Free-as-Wind, Gurzog gro-Kosh, Seldril, Hatiba, Kareemal, Gilfirion, Elorwe, Ludvikke, Tsetha-Vos, Loulou Villeau, and Nilvani.
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    there are books everywhere.
    there are towers of books.
    there's weird book structures.

plus what we can explore isn't all of Apocrypha. it's just the parts that we got for the story of the chapter
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • YffresTrill
    YffresTrill
    ✭✭✭✭
    LunaFlora wrote: »
    plus what we can explore isn't all of Apocrypha. it's just the parts that we got for the story of the chapter

Every zone is just representative of the area in the Aurbis, due to game limitations, but this is the area called "Apocrypha" in the game. And the green region, which is mostly bog and plants, is called The Endless Library, and an endless library it certainly does not resemble.

But it seems I'm not getting much agreement, fair enough!
    -
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The outside areas have a lot more bright and saturated colors than I thought to see. I expected it to feel more gothic and monochrome, but the interior areas are that way. :)
  • YffresTrill
    YffresTrill
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, agreed! Love the mood of the interiors; at least they offer that experience of getting lost in massive, dimly-lit, meandering stacks that I was hoping for.
    -