The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Card Clue Drop Rate?

MissDismal
MissDismal
✭✭✭
Sooooo I've been trying to go for the Tales of Tribute Master achievement, and at this point, the last task I need to complete is Card Connoisseur. The problem is, the drop rate for card clues has been absolutely abysmal, for me at least. The upgrades I'm missing are for Duke of Crows, Red Eagle, and Hunding. The last clue I received was on the 26th of this month, and I've been grabbing the NPC tribute daily on 6 of my toons every single day, and have not received any more clues since the last one I got.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows how the drop-rate works. Is there a likelier chance of me pulling clues from coffers won through unranked/ranked matches? I typically avoid playing against other players because of uhhhh, anxiety, but if there is an increased chance of me pulling clues this way, I'll do it.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cannot tell you anything about what works better, but I’m solely doing the PvP daily to get the gold coffee each time and the drop rate just seems to be completely RNG. I had several rounds of them not offering anything and then I got three clues back to back.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
    Options
  • MissDismal
    MissDismal
    ✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    Cannot tell you anything about what works better, but I’m solely doing the PvP daily to get the gold coffee each time and the drop rate just seems to be completely RNG. I had several rounds of them not offering anything and then I got three clues back to back.

That is crazy - unfortunate, but insightful, thank you! I guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing and hope for the best. :' )
    Options
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This reminds me, I also haven't gotten any card clues for the past 3 weeks. I do the NPC daily on one character per day. I'm missing at least one clue from each patron...
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
    Options
  • Katheriah
    Katheriah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This reminds me, I also haven't gotten any card clues for the past 3 weeks. I do the NPC daily on one character per day. I'm missing at least one clue from each patron...

I hate to ask, but are you sure they're clues and not card upgrades you get from achievements? A patron has 4 card upgrades, of which 'only' 2 are through clues. Sorry if you already knew that.

The droprate is quite horrible yes. I try to make videos of the clues and their drop locations on PTS before every new deck, but some of them take me so much time on PTS to farm that it just gets frustrating... (And ofc on PTS less people available for matches)
    Options
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Katheriah wrote: »

I hate to ask, but are you sure they're clues and not card upgrades you get from achievements? A patron has 4 card upgrades, of which 'only' 2 are through clues. Sorry if you already knew that.

Actually I didn't even think of that. I just checked and almost all of the ones I'm missing are from not clues. I never finished the achievements for use X patron 10 times in PVP games, so there's a bunch of missing ones from those achievements.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
    Options
  • Katheriah
    Katheriah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ive had pretty good luck getting the clues from purple boxes, they definitely seem to be a lot better than they were for awhile after high isle released
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Options
  • MissDismal
    MissDismal
    ✭✭✭
    Katheriah wrote: »

The droprate is quite horrible yes. I try to make videos of the clues and their drop locations on PTS before every new deck, but some of them take me so much time on PTS to farm that it just gets frustrating... (And ofc on PTS less people available for matches)

So I just double-checked to see if the card upgrades I'm missing are obtainable from clues or not, and they are. I was about to lose my mind if I had been grinding this long for clues I was never going to get LOL.
    Options
  • MissDismal
    MissDismal
    ✭✭✭
    Update: Finally got all three clues I needed for the achievement, I ended up getting one from a green coffer as well and two from purple coffers, for anyone curious. Sadly it still took a whole week to complete but at least it's finally over!
    Options