The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Companions Q&A

ZOS_Kevin
ZOS_Kevin
Community Manager
Hi Everyone! It's time for a Community Q&A! For this community Q&A, the focus will be on Companions. Do you have burning questions about our two new companions, Azandar Al-Cybiades and Sharp-As-Night that weren’t covered in their Meet the Character articles? Or maybe you’re curious about what goes into making a companion? This is your chance to ask questions about companions in general, specific companions, or the process of developing companions.

We will leave this thread open for the next few days and close on Tuesday, May 30 at 10am ET. We will then work on getting answers out later in June via a blog post. As always, please keep the conversation respectful and follow the community guidelines. With that out of the way, let’s open the floor for questions!

Note: We will not be discussing future systems for companions (i.e. romancing companions). We know many want to see more systems built on the foundation of companions. However, we have no additional information to share at this time.
Edited by ZOS_Kevin on 1 September 2023 20:55
Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
Staff Post
  • NettleCarrier
    NettleCarrier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want to give them a hat so they don't look the same as everyone else... any thoughts on changing your stance on this?
    GM of Gold Coast Corsairs - PCNA
  • CoolBlast3
    CoolBlast3
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know early on when the Companion system was announced that one of the devs claimed they'd be fully new characters instead of old characters from sidequests.
    Are there any thoughts on diverting from this? Some characters don't make much sense to be companions, like Razum-dar and Naryu, I agree. But others, like Eveli Sharp-Arrow are perfect companion material. It'd be nice to have someone we're already emotionally bonded with to join us, instead of emotionally bonding with a new face. Which isn't bad, I love the buddies we've gained since Blackwood!

Secondly, has a non-humanoid companion ever been thought of? Perhaps a non-humanoid Daedra, or a wild animal (dual wielding Warden bears anyone?) or even just a doggo! It'd be interesting to see ESO writers come up with interesting stories for taming an animal, or binding/"befriending" a Daedra!
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    why are companions account wide unlocks (collection menu) but still required to be unlocked per character?

why are the unlock quests getting significantly longer if we are required to unlock it per character? or can we get some way to bypass them if we have already unlocked them?

this is the most annoying and asinine thing about the entire companion system

plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    > Will we ever be able to change hairstyles (and facial hair in case of male companions) or equip them with helmets/headwear?

> What is the team's stance on vampire/werewolf companions?

> Will older companions (Bastion and Mirri)) ever be updated to have more dialog and quests?

> Are there any plans to introduce more than 2 companions per year?
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • Hamfast
      Hamfast
      ✭✭✭✭
      I wonder what the two new companions want to be when they grow up...

As an example, Ember introduces herself as "Ember the Sorcerer" thus it is her desire to be a Magicka DPS, Isobel states she is "Your Shield", what better for a Tank to say...

This is not to say any companion can't fill any role, which is better at filling a role, but just what role they seem to want to pursue from the point of view of their story/remarks.

Roles so far (by comments and story) Bastian and Ember - Magicka DPS, Mirri - Ranged Stamina DPS, Isobel - Tank

On another note, perhaps more in keeping with the other posts in this thread, when will Ranged Companions (Staff or Bow) stop running so far away that bosses reset? that is killing them.

While companions can tell me to not "stand in stupid", they seem to be unable to take their own advice... they just stand there and complain they are feeling weak and need healing until they die, instead of moving out of the area
      Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most...
    • PrinceShroob
      PrinceShroob
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      • How does the team decide which class skills to copy for companion skills?
      • Previous companions such as Bastian and Isobel provided unique buffs and debuffs that stacked with Major and Minor effects (such as Bastian's Searing Weapons providing a unique 15% damage buff to Light and Heavy attacks rather than providing Empower); however, Shap-as-Night and Azandar provide named buffs and debuffs such as Minor Vulnerability. Why was this change made and will the older companions be updated?
      • Bastian and Mirri have thematic Ultimates (for example, Bastian is implied to have anger issues and his Ultimate is called Unleashed Rage). However, later companions do not. Were Bastian and Mirri's Ultimates intended to be thematic and if so, why have the other companions' Ultimates not been?
      • Could we ever see companions whose "classes" are not playable, such as Vampire, Werewolf, or an NPC class like Battlemage?

For a question regarding a specific character, since Sharp is probably around 30-ish
      because he was present and already enslaved when Dimik-ei hatched and she strikes me as being a teenager
      has he had his Chukka-Sei and what was his Jel name
      since that's information we never learn and that he's unlikely to know given his circumstances?

With regard to Bastian, his backstory has a timeline issue:
      He states that his father was executed for plotting to assassinate High King Emeric. However, if Bastian is 27 years old and this happened when he was two, then his father was executed in 2E 557, before Emeric was coronated in 2E 563. I don't think you can even say that Lord Hallix was plotting to kill Emeric-the-war-hero because he doesn't seem to have been in the line of succession at all; rather, King Gardner and his entire line died to the Knahaten Flu.
      Are there any plants to rectify this issue by
      re-recording Bastian's dialogue to replace "King Emeric" with "King Gardner" and perhaps also updating his Meet the Character (as far as I know, only Bastian states the king's name in dialogue)?
      Edited by PrinceShroob on 23 May 2023 17:39
    • phaneub17_ESO
      phaneub17_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Why can't we have more control over their actions? Specifically things like roll dodge with certain weapons. Personally I don't give them most range weapons because they roll dodge immediately when the target they are attacking comes into melee range. Other weapons have their own set parameters like two-handed and dual-wield is at =< 50% while tank wespons are set to critical =< 25% before they roll dodge.

Having some control or setting with this would open more weapon choices for me and others.
    • Wolfkeks
      Wolfkeks
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      1. Will we get more customization options for companies like hats, skins or personalities?

2. How do you decide on rapports for the companions like Bastian hating cheese? (Cheese! All hail uncle Sheo!)

3. @ZOS_Kevin who is your favorite companion?
      "Sheggorath, you are the Skooma Cat, for what is crazier than a cat on skooma?" - Fadomai
      EU PC 2000+ CP professional mudballer and pie thrower
      Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, vAA hm, vHelRa hm, vSO hm, vMoL hm, vHoF hm, vAS+2, vCR+3, vSS hm, vKA, vRG, Flawless Conquerer, Spirit Slayer
    • noblecron
      noblecron
      ✭✭✭✭
      Is it possible to get a Companion that isn't one of the playable races? Like an Atronach or Arox even?

Could we get the option to enable helm on them?
    • spartaxoxo
      spartaxoxo
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      What is the age of each of the companions?

Will old companions ever get their letters given as furnishings?

Will their be updates to older companions voice lines in the future?

Does the storyline influence the way the companion looks or vice-versa? If so, why isn't Bastian a Breton?

What is meaning behind Bastian's tattoos?

Who is currently the most used companion? Which is your favorite?
    • thegreatme
      thegreatme
      ✭✭✭✭
      My main question is, will we ever possibly see fully customizeable Companions? Basically just a blank slate character we can make look however we want, give them any hair style, tattoos, etc that we own in our collections? Including polymorphs and personalities?

They don't need to be voiced or have special quests attached to them. Just a basic class, race, sex, and the rest we can tailor ourselves how we want them to look.

The Companion system as it is is great for those who like it, but there is no Companion they can or ever will make that will interest me more than being able to make my own unique characters/Companions, such as making a Companion version of some of my alts to adventure together and/or roleplay with.
      Join my Nocturnal-devoted Mercenary Reach guild! https://esokrakeclan.weebly.com/
      My Artstation | Deviantart | Youtube | Furaffinity

Thank You ZoS!:
      ◙ Blackfeather Court banker/merchant
      ◙ Gloam Indrik
      ◙ Re-release Gloam Wolf Mount

Let's See It Happen ZoS:
      ◙ /honorloop emote
      ◙ cross-legged sitting emote
      ◙ Evergloam house
      ◙ Hagraven Polymorph
      ◙ Hagraven Houseguest
    • Soraka
      Soraka
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Will we get new quests later on for existing companions?
    • Treselegant
      Treselegant
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Soraka wrote: »
      Will we get new quests later on for existing companions?
      Kendaric wrote: »
      > Will older companions (Bastion and Mirri)) ever be updated to have more dialog and quests?

Adding my voice to this one: will the older companions be getting updates? New quests, fixes, furnishing letters etc?

Edited by Treselegant on 23 May 2023 18:46
    • rauyran
      rauyran
      ✭✭✭✭
      Would the team consider adding a "stand here" command to companions that makes them stand on the spot for 60 seconds. This would allow a few problems to be solved:

a) standing on plates for secrets or gated areas in dungeons
      b) keeping them out of harms way from environmental effects or traps
      c) stop them running out of aggro range of bosses

Edited by rauyran on 23 May 2023 19:37
    • rauyran
      rauyran
      ✭✭✭✭
      When will we be able to upgrade, craft and deconstruct companion gear?
    • sarahvhoffb14_ESO
      sarahvhoffb14_ESO
      ✭✭✭
      Any plans for other types of companions? Would love a wolf, or maybe a senche-raht! :)
    • WySoSirius
      WySoSirius
      ✭✭✭✭
      Not sure if it has been asked , but companions having different outfits per character possibility?
    • TheNuminous1
      TheNuminous1
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Can you please release Altmer and Bosmer Companions. You always skimp the elves in the aldmeri dominion. We have the least new zones. We get the least pets mounts costumes accessories ect.

Wood elves get like nothing most the time. No new furnishing assets no new zones.

The LEAST you could do is give us an altmer and a bosmer Companion. Even better one of each gender.
    • ADarklore
      ADarklore
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Not a question... more a very big THANK YOU to ZOS for realizing that companions are a huge deal for many of us players, and we look forward to new companions and other (hopeful romance) options added for them later.

I also want to thank you for adding the Telvanni Efficiency set to Necrom, because this will be a big deal for many of us. It certainly opens many new doors for mixing and matching companion gear pieces to find the right type of build focus that we want- instead of usually just going all Quickened. It's also not OP by any means, and players do have to sacrifice their own DPS in order to slot it- I lost 10% crit and over 20% crit damage... but it's still worth slotting IMO. They are my companions, right? So it's good to have them at their best. :)

Thanks again!!

P.S. If you're accepting 'wish list' items for companions... mine are- 1) independent companion 'outfits' for individual characters, 2) ability to assign head gear, and 3) ability to command them stand in place (for switch plates).

Also, please fix their AI so they don't keep running away from enemies when equipped with a ranged weapon (other than frost staff). At least give them a maximum distance from the player while in combat, so if they do dodgeroll away, they will move back towards the player afterward.
      CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
    • Nestor
      Nestor
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      why are companions account wide unlocks (collection menu) but still required to be unlocked per character?

why are the unlock quests getting significantly longer if we are required to unlock it per character?

I just unlocked a companion on an Alt. All it that was needed is a Delve Quest. Then you get the companion as leveled by your main with the gear they already have. 10 maybe 15 minutes.

The only time suck is grinding for gear if you want to change your role. You don't need to spend time on Affinity as the rewards are account wide.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
      Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• ADarklore
      ADarklore
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Nestor wrote: »

why are the unlock quests getting significantly longer if we are required to unlock it per character?

I just unlocked a companion on an Alt. All it that was needed is a Delve Quest. Then you get the companion as leveled by your main with the gear they already have. 10 maybe 15 minutes.

The only time suck is grinding for gear if you want to change your role. You don't need to spend time on Affinity as the rewards are account wide.

Well, that's how it used to be, but now with Necrom, the Companion quests are MUCH longer, Sharp you have to get through a Public Dungeon and even worse, with Azandar you not only have a Public Dungeon to get through, but also a Delve as well. Let alone running all over the map for fetch quests.
      CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
    • SoraJP
      SoraJP
      ✭✭✭
      Will we be able to turn off Sharp-As-Night's bonus after earning his achievements? His increase to receive trophy fish actively works against farming for Perfect Roe, for people who already have the fishing achievements. Could we at least be able to fillet trophy fish for an increased change at Perfect Roe?
      PC/NA Khajiit Warden Main
    • Necrotech_Master
      Necrotech_Master
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

as another poster mentioned if you followed the pts, the new companions now require you to go into public dungeons for their unlock quest

15 min is a lot when you are doing that on 10 toons (11 when i make an arcanist, not to mention the arcanist will also still have to unlock the other 4 existing companions)

so at 15 min per quest, that is 150 minutes worth of quests for 1 of the new companions, double that for both new companions, + an additional 90 minutes of questing to unlock all 6 companions on the new arcanist toon

thats, at a rough estimate, 390 minutes (6.5 hours) of repeating the same quests over and over and over, instead of doing other things

i feel bad for those who have way more characters than me who want to just use something they already unlocked and put effort into
      plays PC/NA
      handle @Necrotech_Master
    • Hamfast
      Hamfast
      ✭✭✭✭

It's all time I would spend anyway, regardless of the number of characters.
      Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most...
    • Sarannah
      Sarannah
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      Will we get a map indicator for companion locations, all of them? We now have six, and finding them all is going to be something to remember. This would also make it easier to find them for those who want to unlock the companions before diving into the new content(like me).

Will we get a companion quickslot wheel? Personally I do not use the tools wheel at all, could that become the companionwheel?

Could you guys please only let companions get aggro if they specifically have a taunt skill equipped? Companions pulling monsters and bosses away isn't fun. Neither is companions dying in one or two hits, when they weren't supposed to take aggro. (This is actually my biggest issue with companions)

PS: Thanks for the new companions, I love companions!
    • Necrotech_Master
      Necrotech_Master
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Sarannah wrote: »
      Will we get a map indicator for companion locations, all of them? We now have six, and finding them all is going to be something to remember. This would also make it easier to find them for those who want to unlock the companions before diving into the new content(like me).

Will we get a companion quickslot wheel? Personally I do not use the tools wheel at all, could that become the companionwheel?

Could you guys please only let companions get aggro if they specifically have a taunt skill equipped? Companions pulling monsters and bosses away isn't fun. Neither is companions dying in one or two hits, when they weren't supposed to take aggro. (This is actually my biggest issue with companions)

PS: Thanks for the new companions, I love companions!

the companion unlock quests can be automatically gotten from the collection menu, if you have already unlocked the companion but dont have the quest done on that toon

the other part is that there is already a companion specific quickslot wheel, that can be used with both companions and assistants (or you can add them to the normal quick slot wheel too) (this wheel pops up when you go to to the collection menu for allies, either companions or assistants, and you access it to summon by holding the quick slot wheel button and then using the buttons to navigate to the other wheels)
      plays PC/NA
      handle @Necrotech_Master
    • Snamyap
      Snamyap
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      the other part is that there is already a companion specific quickslot wheel, that can be used with both companions and assistants (or you can add them to the normal quick slot wheel too) (this wheel pops up when you go to to the collection menu for allies, either companions or assistants, and you access it to summon by holding the quick slot wheel button and then using the buttons to navigate to the other wheels)

Fence, Banker, Deconstruct, Merchant, Mirri, Ember, Bastian, Isobel. That's eight, that wheel is full for me.
    • Snamyap
      Snamyap
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      [*] Previous companions such as Bastian and Isobel provided unique buffs and debuffs that stacked with Major and Minor effects (such as Bastian's Searing Weapons providing a unique 15% damage buff to Light and Heavy attacks rather than providing Empower); however, Shap-as-Night and Azandar provide named buffs and debuffs such as Minor Vulnerability. Why was this change made and will the older companions be updated?

I have mixed feeling about Searing Weapons. I like my heavy attack builds, but Bastian is my least favorite companion. He also doesn't fit thematically for me: I like to combine heavy attack builds with vampirism since it pretty much negates the increased resource costs of non vampire skills. Having this goody two shoes commenting gets on my nerves. "I thought you gave up thieving?" Whatever gave you that idea?!

Edited by Snamyap on 24 May 2023 17:03
    • Necrotech_Master
      Necrotech_Master
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Snamyap wrote: »

Fence, Banker, Deconstruct, Merchant, Mirri, Ember, Bastian, Isobel. That's eight, that wheel is full for me.

the way i read what the person i was responding to was implying it sounded like they didnt know there was a companion wheel that already existed

quick slot wheels in general already suffer from a lack of space lol (especially if you use siege in cyrodiil lol)
      plays PC/NA
      handle @Necrotech_Master
    • Treselegant
      Treselegant
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Snamyap wrote: »
      [*] Previous companions such as Bastian and Isobel provided unique buffs and debuffs that stacked with Major and Minor effects (such as Bastian's Searing Weapons providing a unique 15% damage buff to Light and Heavy attacks rather than providing Empower); however, Shap-as-Night and Azandar provide named buffs and debuffs such as Minor Vulnerability. Why was this change made and will the older companions be updated?

I have mixed feeling about Searing Weapons. I like my heavy attack builds, but Bastian is my least favorite companion. He also doesn't fit thematically for me: I like to combine heavy attack builds with vampirism since it pretty much negates the increased resource costs of non vampire skills. Having this goody two shoes commenting gets on my nerves. "I thought you gave up thieving?" Whatever gave you that idea?!

To be fair his moral inclinations are spelled out clearly in his companion bio and it's the same for Isobel. If you get ask him what he does and doesn't like he's pretty clear there. I don't think much else can be done to get that across.