The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Sorcerer Magicka DPS with Lightning Staff- what change in my build?

kubuspu3hatek
Hello, I need yours help. What I should change in my character to improve my stats?

Race: High Elf
Class: Sorcerer
CP: 752

Current statistics:
Maximum magicka- 37607
Magicka recovery- 1359
Maximum health- 23825
Health recovery- 371
Maximum stamina- 16105
stamina recovery- 617

Spell Damage- 2852
Spell critical- 31.1%
Spell penetration - 11571
Weapon damage- 2852
Weapon critical- 31.1%
Physical penetration- 11571

Spell resistance- 13952
Critical resistance- 1320
Physical resistance- 8870

Food:
Crown Fortifying Meal or Clockwork Citrus Filet or Mistral Banana Bunny Hash

Set:
Necropotence(x5), Mother's Sorrow(x5), Armor of the Trainee(x2)
Traits:
7x Divine, 3x Arcane, 2x Infused

Weapon:
Argonian Muck Minder of Mother's Sorrow x2

Mundus Stones:
The Lover

Skill:
shock reach(IV)- endless fury(IV)- crystal fragments(IV)- summon volatile familiar(IV)-boundless storm(I)- suppression field(IV)

wall of storms(IV)- rune cage(I)- degeneration(III)- summon volatile familiar(IV)-accelerate(I)- energy overload(I)

What do you think, what change? Definitely Armor of the Trainee, change to monster set, but more deal Flame damage. How does work with Lightning Staff?
I use ESO+, and I currently have chapters Morrowind, Summerset, Elsweyr, Greymoor.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is this for PvE or PvP?

If PvE:
    • You could change to the much-discussed Heavy Attack builds. :)
    • I don't see the point of Rune Cage or Suppression Field.
    • Critical Surge over Degeneration (unless you're going for a Heavy Attack build without an Oakensoul ring).
    • If you can do Maelstrom Arena, you can backbar a Maelstrom staff, then change one of your sets to work well on a single bar only. (Example: Mad Tinkerer)
    • Or, if you really want to keep using Destructive Reach, you could get a Master's Staff if you can do Dragonstar Arena (that would probably take a group).

I could go on. E.g., I haven't run Necropotence for years, and there are things better than Mother's Sorrow now as well. The Atronach is about my favorite ultimate skill even post-nerf. I always make room for the Twilight Matriarch for heals. If I have room for exactly one of Crystal Fragments or Endless Fury, I always think Crystal Frags looks better. Etc.
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What specifically are you trying to do?

PvE?
    PvP?
    are you only looking to complete quests and stories or are you looking to get into harder content (trials/vet dungeons etc)?
    do you want to run pets or no pets?

As for your question about the monster sets and lightning staves, lightning staff buffs AoE skill damage, not a type like fire or lightning specifically, so if you want to keep the lightning staves, then look into a monster set that has AoE damage. If you want a single target monster set, then switching to flame staff would be better since flame staves buff single target damage.

As for your skill bars, I would find room for the matriarch for a burst heal (or tormentor for more damage).

Rune cage does very little in PvE so maybe swap that out for either matriarch or daedric prey (prey buffs the damage of your pets by a lot).
    It's the same with suppression field (although the healing morph of this skill can be interesting on a healer sorc). Atro just does a lot more so I'd consider running atro over suppression field.

If nothing else, you can always look into a heavy attack build, there are options to play that build with 2 bars as well with minimal difference if you don't have access to the oakensoul mythic.
  • ACamaroGuy
    ACamaroGuy
    ✭✭✭
    Using Mother's Sorrow I would imagine you're playing PvE over PvP.
    1) use the Thief mundus
    2) run one monster set pieces in Slimecraw & one in Archdruid Devyric, both in medium weight
    3) front bar stave you want in the precise trait
    4) if possible change your jewelry to the bloodthirsty trait
    5) you will want Critical Surge somewhere on one of your bars
    6) if sustain is an issue use your Twilight Matriarch pet
    7) use the flame enchant on your front bar stave
    8) weapon damage glyphs on all 3 pieces of your jewelry
    9) if you are still below 50% critical chance swap Archdruid Devyric for a monster set pieces that give a bonus to critical chance
    10) champion points to use, Fighting Finesse • Deadly Aim • Wrathful Strikes • Biting Aura

I hope this helps.
    For the Empire
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some comments in ALL CAPS inline.
    ACamaroGuy wrote: »
    1) use the Thief mundus

THAT'S NOT OBVIOUS IF SOMEBODY HAS CRIT DAMAGE DOWN IN THE 60% RANGE.

2) run one monster set pieces in Slimecraw & one in Archdruid Devyric,

FOR A HIGH-LEVEL PLAYER, PERHAPS. BUT SOMEBODY ASKING THESE QUESTIONS MIGHT DO BETTER WITH AN ACTUAL MONSTER SET.

both in medium weight

ONLY IF THEY HAVE THE UNDAUNTED METTLE PASSIVE, AND NOT OBVIOUS EVEN THEN. INDEED, THE SECOND MEDIUM PIECE IS PROBABLY WRONG UNLESS ONE IS HITTING PENETRATION CAP.

SEE POINT #1

YES, THAT HELPS A LITTLE

AGREED

THE MATRIARCH IS GREAT, BUT WHAT DOES IT HAVE TO DO WITH SUSTAIN?

UNLESS, OF COURSE, SUSTAIN IS AN ISSUE.

9) if you are still below 50% critical chance swap Archdruid Devyric for a monster set pieces that give a bonus to critical chance
    10) champion points to use, Fighting Finesse • Deadly Aim • Wrathful Strikes • Biting Aura

I hope this helps.

Also -- changing skills and gear sets matters a lot more than the points above.
  • ACamaroGuy
    ACamaroGuy
    ✭✭✭
    1) use the Thief mundus

FOR A HIGH-LEVEL PLAYER, PERHAPS. BUT SOMEBODY ASKING THESE QUESTIONS MIGHT DO BETTER WITH AN ACTUAL MONSTER SET.

both in medium weight

ONLY IF THEY HAVE THE UNDAUNTED METTLE PASSIVE, AND NOT OBVIOUS EVEN THEN. INDEED, THE SECOND MEDIUM PIECE IS PROBABLY WRONG UNLESS ONE IS HITTING PENETRATION CAP.

SEE POINT #1

YES, THAT HELPS A LITTLE

AGREED

I hope this helps.

WOW. Where to start. Based on what OP wrote, changing armor sets did not seem to be an option. The option that they gave would be to change to a monster set from the Trainee set. Of course some people love monster sets. Now you will notice that I said if your critical chance needed to go up (up to 50%, nothing about if over 50%), change a piece of the monster set. Being that OP ask for advice, I gave advice that would 1) increase penetration, 2) increase critical chance. That would definitely help OP. Now I want you to go back & read OP's post. Other than giving stats, OP did not tell us how they played the game. Using two pieces of medium will help due to the medium armor skill line passives. Using the Twilight Matriarch will help you sustain your health. Whatever button you have this assigned to, you, press it & it will restore some of your health. Now I understand that I did not spell it out word for word or in great detail like that. I was hopeful folks would be able to use reasonable deduction & understand that this skill provides a healing effect, so the sustain issue was if you're having issues staying alive. As for the weapon damage glyphs, based on the stats OP listed, I do not think magicka sustain would be an issue. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but if it's not, switching the glyphs would help the damage output.
    Edited by ACamaroGuy on 17 May 2023 15:46
    For the Empire
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    1) use the Thief mundus

both in medium weight

SEE POINT #1

YES, THAT HELPS A LITTLE

AGREED

I hope this helps.

WOW. Where to start. Based on what OP wrote, changing armor sets did not seem to be an option. The option that they gave would be to change to a monster set from the Trainee set. Of course some people love monster sets. Now you will notice that I said if your critical chance needed to go up (up to 50%, nothing about if over 50%), change a piece of the monster set. Being that OP ask for advice, I gave advice that would 1) increase penetration, 2) increase critical chance. That would definitely help OP. Now I want you to go back & read OP's post. Other than giving stats, OP did not tell us how they played the game. Using two pieces of medium will help due to the medium armor skill line passives. Using the Twilight Matriarch will help you sustain your health. Whatever button you have this assigned to, you, press it & it will restore some of your health. Now I understand that I did not spell it out word for word or in great detail like that. I was hopeful folks would be able to use reasonable deduction & understand that this skill provides a healing effect, so the sustain issue was if you're having issues staying alive. As for the weapon damage glyphs, based on the stats OP listed, I do not think magicka sustain would be an issue. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but if it's not, switching the glyphs would help the damage output.

The OP said nothing about sticking with the same sets that I could discern.

I think your numbers are just off on medium armor. It is inferior to light armor when the light armor penetration passive is valuable.

I think your numbers are off on the value of crit as well, but I'm less sure of that.

I've seen the word "sustain" used dozens and probably hundreds of times in ESO discussions, yet this is the first time I've seen it used your way. So while I apologize for not guessing how you used the terminology, I hope you'll be understanding and forgive my error.
  • kubuspu3hatek
    Hello, thank you for being active in this topic.
    I play only PvE- quests, stories and vet dungeons. So far I haven't played trials because I don't want to spoil the fun for other players.
    As for armor, I use only Light Armor. About the AoE damage on monster set,something like Domihaus or Ilambris will be good?
  • ACamaroGuy
    ACamaroGuy
    ✭✭✭
    I play only PvE- quests, stories and vet dungeons. So far I haven't played trials because I don't want to spoil the fun for other players.
    As for armor, I use only Light Armor. About the AoE damage on monster set,something like Domihaus or Ilambris will be good?

Grothdarr, Maw of the Infernal, Kargaeda, Sellistrix look these sets up.
    For the Empire
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Grothdarr, Maw of the Infernal, Kargaeda, Sellistrix look these sets up.

I'd add https://eso-sets.com/set/nerieneth and, despite the 1-piece bonus, Stormfist.

But one problem is that monster sets generally scale with "Weapon or Spell Damage", and you have very low Spell Damage if you're running Necropotence and Mother's Sorrow.
  • kubuspu3hatek
    Would it be a good idea to change the jewelry triate from Arcane to Bloodthirsty (but won't I lose too much magic then?), plus a monster set as a temporary solution, and next slowly build a new set instead of Necropotence and Mother's Sorrow?

I'm also wondering if there is an alternative to the Oakensoul Ring? Maybe here would be a solution?
    Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions - I'm still learning the game :)
  • ACamaroGuy
    ACamaroGuy
    ✭✭✭
    Would it be a good idea to change the jewelry triate from Arcane to Bloodthirsty (but won't I lose too much magic then?), plus a monster set as a temporary solution, and next slowly build a new set instead of Necropotence and Mother's Sorrow?

I'm also wondering if there is an alternative to the Oakensoul Ring? Maybe here would be a solution?

Use Queens Elegance & Oaken Soul with the first two monster sets I mentioned. You will get your empower from QE.
    For the Empire
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Use Queens Elegance & Oaken Soul with the first two monster sets I mentioned. You will get your empower from QE.

Why use Queen's Elegance if you're also using Oakensoul?????

Also, the Mage's Guild passive is more to the point for Empower -- it requires a single active skill rather than a whole set bonus. That allows for 2 sets like Sergeant's Mail, Undaunted Infiltrator or whatever for heavy attack builds.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Bloodthirsty is clearly better, but it's probably not worth the investment to make the change.
  • ACamaroGuy
    ACamaroGuy
    ✭✭✭

Also, the Mage's Guild passive is more to the point for Empower -- it requires a single active skill rather than a whole set bonus. That allows for 2 sets like Sergeant's Mail, Undaunted Infiltrator or whatever for heavy attack builds.

He's not using Oakensoul, he said as an alternative to Oakensoul. Meaning something other than Oakensoul.
    Edited by ACamaroGuy on 18 May 2023 00:31
    For the Empire
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

He's not using Oakensoul, he said as an alternative to Oakensoul. Meaning something other than Oakensoul.

And yet you wrote that he should "use ... Oaken Soul".

But let's leave that aside, and focus instead on how terrible an idea it is to use Queen's Elegance even without Oakensoul, as opposed to triggering Might of the Guild.
  • ACamaroGuy
    ACamaroGuy
    ✭✭✭

And yet you wrote that he should "use ... Oaken Soul".

But let's leave that aside, and focus instead on how terrible an idea it is to use Queen's Elegance even without Oakensoul, as opposed to triggering Might of the Guild.

Typo...Orders Wrath. Sorry was at the OIA and the noise must have mistranslated what I spoke. My mistake & I apologize for being rude.
    Edited by ACamaroGuy on 18 May 2023 11:04
    For the Empire
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @kubuspu3hatek You are using very outdated gear and abilities. All of it adds up to you needing a totally new build.

At this point you should get acquainted with the current state of the game, which ultimately means: the easiest and most potent build is the lightning heavy attack one bar Oakensoul Sorcerer. It is modular and powerful. Very powerful. It is easy to SOLO Dungeons and World Bosses with it. Perfect for what you outlined as your game interests.

I personally don't like pets at the moment, so I run it this way:
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=506957

Seriously, get Oakensoul Mythic and make a heavy attack build. Its not difficult. I have got three completed Rings from antiquities alone. Its not hard. You just need the base game, High Isle and Murkmire, which was even free at some point.

If, for some reason or another, you are still unwilling to go Oakensoul Heavy Attack, you need to build up everything from scratch.
    The best approach is to come up with a build, plan it and then aquire it step by step.
    This is how I played Sorc before the Oakensoul switch.
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=441417
    If you find a better spammable than Crystal Frags, drop Daedric Prey and use Frags only on proc. Note the high Spell damage and the nominal crit chance and (relatively) low crit damage. Nothing you can do about it on Sorcerer.

For this I would start by replacing Necropotence with Order' Wrath and then going for a farm of the City of Ash dungeons, until I have a complete set of Burning Spellweave on the body parts in Divines trait. After that it is Maelstrom Arena time, until I have the Inferno Staff. Normal or Veteran is irrelevant at this point.
    Maw of the Infernal (or any other decent Monster set) is last, because I would try to SOLO the dungeon myself, but would obviously go in a group if I cannot do it alone.

I hope I could give a different perspective.
    Edited by Zodiarkslayer on 18 May 2023 11:28
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • ACamaroGuy
    ACamaroGuy
    ✭✭✭

I should have doubled checked my post before posting it. It should've said Queen's Elegance & Order's Wrath. Knowing you only want to use light armor, change Order's Wrath for Back-Alley Gourmand or just keep Mother's Sorrow (not sure which of the two sets is better).
    For the Empire
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I should have doubled checked my post before posting it. It should've said Queen's Elegance & Order's Wrath. Knowing you only want to use light armor, change Order's Wrath for Back-Alley Gourmand or just keep Mother's Sorrow (not sure which of the two sets is better).

I still don't get it. Queens Elegance is bad in and of itself. A 2nd Empower is redundant on an Oakensoul build, which you want to use, because of all the other buffs...
    And you loose a "good" 5 piece bonus...

Maybe it's just me, but I don't get it.
  • Mesite
    Mesite
    ✭✭✭✭

I avoided trials for a long time, but then I watched a video by a well known player and he advised that some basic trials are easier than vet dungeons, and you can get new gear there too.
  • KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You just need the base game, High Isle and Murkmire, which was even free at some point.

And Greymoor for the skill line.
  • ACamaroGuy
    ACamaroGuy
    ✭✭✭

I still don't get it. Queens Elegance is bad in and of itself. A 2nd Empower is redundant on an Oakensoul build, which you want to use, because of all the other buffs...

Ok, I made the mistake of not double checking my comment before posting it. Oakensoul should've never been said. Order's Wrath, it should've said Queen's Elegance & Order's Wrath.
    OP is not using an Oakensoul build.
    OP, you can use Medusa on the weapons & jewelry along with Queen's Elegance. You will get minor force & empower with these sets on your build.
    Edited by ACamaroGuy on 18 May 2023 17:48
    For the Empire
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I made the mistake of not double checking my comment before posting it. Oakensoul should've never been said. Order's Wrath, it should've said Queen's Elegance & Order's Wrath.
    OP, you can use Medusa on the weapons & jewelry along with Queen's Elegance. You will get minor force & empower with these sets on your build.

That combination is even worse than your other ideas.
  • ACamaroGuy
    ACamaroGuy
    ✭✭✭

That combination is even worse than your other ideas.

Awesome. I love the ideas you came up.
    Edited by ACamaroGuy on 18 May 2023 23:05
    For the Empire
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Don't worry if the questions sound "stupid", some of the most "stupid" sounding questions can lead to some of the most important answers, so ask away.

As for your build itself, the short term would be to find a monster set (the one's mentioned above are good options) while you look into changing the 5 piece sets (mothers sorrow is still fairly decent even now).

For jewelry traits, look into blood thirsty or infused, bloodthirsty will provide higher overall damage (less against high health enemies, but much more against low health enemies), while infused (with spell damage enchantments) will provide a more consistent damage boost for the entire fight.

If you're still not sure, check out HackTheMinotaur on youtube, he does a lot of new player friendly builds (guides and videos) for each class where he goes through the builds and explains them and keeps them regularly updated for each patch. Most of his builds could easily swap the weapon for lightning staff and still work just fine.

Also, you mentioned you don't do trials, I'd look into at least trying some normal trial runs with pub groups (usually will have lfg in places like craglorn main town) or with guildies or friends (if you can get a group together), normal trials are about the same difficulty as vet dungeons, and pub groups aren't super serious like prog groups going for hard mode or trifecta runs so not much chance of spoiling others fun in those (plus potential to get trial set drops).
  • kubuspu3hatek
    Thanks!

I came to the conclusion that it is worth buying the current version of the game. So what will be better? at once Necrom Collection or High Isle Collection and in the next month Necrom chapter? I wonder if if I buy the Necrom Collection right away, I will have the previous add-ons available right away.

Have a nice day everyone!
  • kubuspu3hatek
    Hello! let me refresh the topic. I decided to reset my CP, changed skills and upgraded my set. (and buy new chapter :) )
    Currently it looks like this:
    5x Diamond's Victory
    4x Mother's Sorrow
    2x Ilambris
    Oakensoul Ring

I see a definite improvement in my stats and I feel more powerful. So far I'm using craftable and overland sets, and then i want to farm dungeons. That's why I have two questions:
    1) is there anything better than that Mother's Sorrow? (craftable and overland at the momment)
    2) is it worth increasing Weapon and Spell Damage instead of Critical Chance?
  • KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1) is there anything better than that Mother's Sorrow? (craftable and overland at the momment)

Order's Wrath
    You will want the full 5-piece bonus, though.
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello! let me refresh the topic. I decided to reset my CP, changed skills and upgraded my set. (and buy new chapter :) )
    Currently it looks like this:
    5x Diamond's Victory
    4x Mother's Sorrow
    2x Ilambris
    Oakensoul Ring

I see a definite improvement in my stats and I feel more powerful. So far I'm using craftable and overland sets, and then i want to farm dungeons. That's why I have two questions:
    2) is it worth increasing Weapon and Spell Damage instead of Critical Chance?

Your increase of percieved power is likely due to Oakensouls buffs, rather than Diamonds Victory or Ilambris. Why do you have Mother's Sorrow only 4 pieces? The 5 piece bonus is much more valuable than the Ilambris set! Sorry, but this is a wrong choice.

It is highly doubtful that you can capitalize on both Diamonds Victory buffs. It is a complicated set, that is difficult to master. Especially if you play with two pets.
    And what abilities do you use to proc the 5 piece bonuses anyway?
    I am super sorry to say that, but Diamond's Victory is a ... very wrong choice ...
    Edited by Zodiarkslayer on 12 June 2023 10:48