The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Active Racial Ability

phaneub17_ESO
phaneub17_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
They're more like self-synergy abilities not slotted abilities.

Argonians exiting deep water can activate a synergy that gives them Major Expedition for 5 seconds. 30 seconds cooldown.

Bosmer can invoke the Green Pact and eat non-humanoid bodies to restore 25% of their max health, stamina, and magicka over 5 seconds. 5 minutes cooldown. (Grahtwood cliff note)

Khajiit after falling a certain distance can activate a synergy that reduces the damage they take when landing by 20%. 1 minute cooldown.

Imperials can activate a synergy that causes an aggressive Humanoid mob to stop attacking you and seek other targets. 10 minutes cooldown.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The passives we have are sufficient.

• vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    Only if they work.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • Grim_Overlord
    Grim_Overlord
    ✭✭✭

While I agree that activatable abilities as proposed here don't fit into an MMO framework as well as a mainline Elder Scrolls game, I do think that the passives of most races need a serious rework. Redguard is the most in need of a Weapon and Spell damage line and most races that grant maximum Magicka or Stamina would benefit from receiving an equal or slightly reduced amount of the other. What I mean by this is things like Imperial only receiving 2000 max Stamina rather than say, 1500 of both when by comparison Dark Elves receive just over 1900 of both stats in one passive. Small adjustments like these would help shorten the disparity between classes that offer Weapon and Spell damage or unique passives as right now those that do have such passives are clear winners compared to those that don't at least in the realm of DPS races, not to mention the fact that Nords have little to no competition in the tanking meta beyond Imperial.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

While I agree that activatable abilities as proposed here don't fit into an MMO framework as well as a mainline Elder Scrolls game, I do think that the passives of most races need a serious rework. Redguard is the most in need of a Weapon and Spell damage line and most races that grant maximum Magicka or Stamina would benefit from receiving an equal or slightly reduced amount of the other. What I mean by this is things like Imperial only receiving 2000 max Stamina rather than say, 1500 of both when by comparison Dark Elves receive just over 1900 of both stats in one passive. Small adjustments like these would help shorten the disparity between classes that offer Weapon and Spell damage or unique passives as right now those that do have such passives are clear winners compared to those that don't at least in the realm of DPS races, not to mention the fact that Nords have little to no competition in the tanking meta beyond Imperial.

Rework of the passives is not relevant to this thread. Zenimax did a great job when they reworked passives a few years ago. Even then, There will always be races deemed stronger/weaker than other races as long there are racial passives in the game so there will always be complaints about the passives one race or another race has.

• Auzsi
    Auzsi
    ✭✭✭

Rework of the passives is not relevant to this thread. Zenimax did a great job when they reworked passives a few years ago. Even then, There will always be races deemed stronger/weaker than other races as long there are racial passives in the game so there will always be complaints about the passives one race or another race has.

The passive rework was everything but a good job. They shuffled the meta around without solving any of the issues racial passives had.
    Edited by Auzsi on 12 May 2023 10:56
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Auzsi wrote: »

The passive rework was everything but a good job. They shuffled the meta around without solving any of the issues racial passives had.

They did solve a major issue with the old design. The % bonus was much stronger than the static bonuses we have today which did make the passives more balanced. Nothing will ever be perfectly balanced. That is life.

Many comments I saw after the rebalancing was that it was more balanced. Complaints were towards specific races which basically means they wanted their race to be different vs there being a problem with the overall rebalancing.

• Auzsi
    Auzsi
    ✭✭✭

They did solve a major issue with the old design. The % bonus was much stronger than the static bonuses we have today which did make the passives more balanced. Nothing will ever be perfectly balanced. That is life.

Many comments I saw after the rebalancing was that it was more balanced. Complaints were towards specific races which basically means they wanted their race to be different vs there being a problem with the overall rebalancing.

Race choice still a meta so nothing has been fixed. The game still pressures you to change your race once you entered into end game content. Play any race+class combination still just an illusion of choice. I played many games with racials in it, including multiplayer and single player ones. Eso racials can't be defended, It's just the epitome of bad design. [snip] % or static bonuses doesn't matter, it fixed nothing.

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on 14 May 2023 15:15
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Race choice still a meta so nothing has been fixed. The game still pressures you to change your race once you entered into end game content. Play any race+class combination still just an illusion of choice. I played many games with racials in it, including multiplayer and single player ones. Eso racials can't be defended, It's just the epitome of bad design. [snip] % or static bonuses doesn't matter, it fixed nothing.

Welcome to MMORPGs. For a player to want their charter to be "meta" everything about the character's build is very specific from what affects the stats to the exact rotation that will be followed. In fact, meta is differs depending on the activity. Want to be a DD going for the trifecta in the newest raid requires one build. Take that same build into a BG or even Cyrodiil and that character will most likely have it's clocked cleaned.

Racial passives will not be removed from the game. While they have changed how they are designed from one TES game to another and even in ESO, they are very much part of the TES design and the current development leadership here understands that very well.

The play as you want (assuming that is what you mean by play any race+class) never meant every build will be optimal for every situation or for anything at all. That should have been clear a decade ago from before the game launched.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on 14 May 2023 15:16
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Honestly i think they're too much. We should only have the flavour passives such as increased swim speed, reduced lava damage, increased x weapon/armor experience gain. That type of stuff.

That way anyone can pick any race they want with minimal actual combat impact. Which i think is for the best as it allows choice based on aesthetics, roleplay etc

This also serves as a way to nerf damage if they wish to do that in the future
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on 14 May 2023 15:11
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Imperial is heavily under appreciated. That Red Diamond passive is no joke whether you’re Magicka or Stamina. It’s great for Vamp skills and Ultimates too.