The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Does The Warrior mundus stone affect armour with divines trait (and if so, how) ?

vsrs_au
vsrs_au
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
The Warrior mundus stone increases weapon damage, so if I have an equipment set with armour items that have the divines trait, are these modified in any way by the mundus stone ? Or is the divines trait effectively useless on these armour items when using this mundus stone ?
PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390

Best Answers

• Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's the other way. The armor isn't affected by the mundus, the mundus is affected by the armor. You can see the difference in your character menu when you look at your mundus buff. I don't see why divines wouldn't work with The Warrior.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
    Answer ✓
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ignore the "weapon" part of weapon damage. It is just a number on your character sheet. It could be called "Stat X" or "Physical Energy" or something. Yes, weapons themselves do add to the weapon damage stat. But there are rings that give weapon damage. CP that give weapon damage. Potions that give weapon damage. And on and on.

Divines will increase the magnitude of your mundus. If you have a mundus that gives 100 magicka regen, and you have a divines item that increases mundus by 7.5%, you will get 107.5 magicka regen. If you have a mundus that gives 100 weapon damage, and you have a divines item that increases mundus by 7.5%, you will get 107.5 weapon damage. If you have a mundus that gives 100 penetration, and you have a divines item that increases mundus by 7.5%, you will get 107.5 penetration. And so on.
    Answer ✓
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    vsrs_au wrote: »
    Actually, I think I understand, now.

The Warrior increases weapon damage (physical, etc.), while the Apprentice increases spell damage. I guess this means that if I have a full set of divines armour, plus a staff, that staff's damage is only increased by the Apprentice (plus the armour items), whereas a non-staff weapon's damage is only increased by the Warrior (plus the armour items) ?

Please tell me I got it right this time! :)

Every weapon supplies both spell damage and weapon damage. For example, a max level 2H greatsword is about 1500 damage, and that applies to both weapon and spell damage. But spell damage is useless for a 2H sword, right? You really only get usage from weapon damage? No. Your skills will scale from the highest of your weapon or spell damage. So if your spell damage is ultimately higher than weapon damage, your sword will scale off spell damage. The same goes for max magicka and max stamina. Your skills will scale off the higher of the two. Spell crit and weapon crit? The higher of the two.

For example, I run a stamina Templar with a 2H sword using mostly stamina skills. I have all 64 attribute points into stamina. But Templar's have a passive that raises spell damage by 10% when you use certain class skills. So I build for high spell damage so I can get the most out of that extra 10% spell damage. Thus, my skills scales off spell damage (which is higher than my weapon damage) and max stamina (which is higher than my max magicka).

Answer ✓
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So does that mean that the Warrior will affect a weapon if its weapon damage is higher than its spell damage, otherwise the Apprentice will affect the weapon?

Weapons cannot have higher weapon damage than spell damage or vice versa. As a player, your character might have higher weapon or spell damage. And then your damage skills will scale off the higher of the two. But the weapon itself would not be higher.

Let's say your weapon gives 1500 of both weapon and spell damage, then through various sets and bonuses and passives and CP and glyphs and traits you end up with a total character weapon damage of 3900 and total character spell damage of 4000. Your skills will scale of the number 4000 because that is the higher of weapon damage and spell damage.

If you then take the Apprentice mundus, it might raise your spell damage from 4000 to 4400. 4400 is higher than 3900, so now your skills still scale off spell damage, but at the higher 4400 number. But if you took the Warrior instead, it might make your weapon damage go from 3900 to 4300. 4300 is more than 4000, so now you scale off weapon damage after taking the mundus. But 4400 is more than 4300, so you actually got stronger skills taking Apprentice than taking Warrior. So it is kind of like you want to take the mundus that increases whatever is already higher.

Answer ✓
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    So does that mean that the Warrior will affect a weapon if its weapon damage is higher than its spell damage, otherwise the Apprentice will affect the weapon?

Weapons cannot have higher weapon damage than spell damage or vice versa. As a player, your character might have higher weapon or spell damage. And then your damage skills will scale off the higher of the two. But the weapon itself would not be higher.

Let's say your weapon gives 1500 of both weapon and spell damage, then through various sets and bonuses and passives and CP and glyphs and traits you end up with a total character weapon damage of 3900 and total character spell damage of 4000. Your skills will scale of the number 4000 because that is the higher of weapon damage and spell damage.

If you then take the Apprentice mundus, it might raise your spell damage from 4000 to 4400. 4400 is higher than 3900, so now your skills still scale off spell damage, but at the higher 4400 number. But if you took the Warrior instead, it might make your weapon damage go from 3900 to 4300. 4300 is more than 4000, so now you scale off weapon damage after taking the mundus. But 4400 is more than 4300, so you actually got stronger skills taking Apprentice than taking Warrior. So it is kind of like you want to take the mundus that increases whatever is already higher.
    Thanks, that helps clarify it. No wonder I didn't properly understand it before. :)
    Answer ✓
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Soarora wrote: »
    It's the other way. The armor isn't affected by the mundus, the mundus is affected by the armor. You can see the difference in your character menu when you look at your mundus buff. I don't see why divines wouldn't work with The Warrior.
    So if I understand you correctly, that means that every armour item with divines trait would increase the weapon's damage, because the armour is increasing the mundus stone's effect ?
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So if I understand you correctly, that means that every armour item with divines trait would increase the weapon's damage, because the armour is increasing the mundus stone's effect ?

Yes. Though it isn't really increasing any weapon's damage as far as I know, I could be wrong though. Weapon damage refers to physical damage (poison, bleed, disease, physical).
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yes. Though it isn't really increasing any weapon's damage as far as I know, I could be wrong though. Weapon damage refers to physical damage (poison, bleed, disease, physical).
    Sorry, I found your last post to be a bit confusing: when you said "it isn't really increasing any weapon's damage" are you referring to spell damage specifically ?
    Edited by vsrs_au on 9 May 2023 02:50
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The Warrior increases weapon damage (physical, etc.), while the Apprentice increases spell damage. I guess this means that if I have a full set of divines armour, plus a staff, that staff's damage is only increased by the Apprentice (plus the armour items), whereas a non-staff weapon's damage is only increased by the Warrior (plus the armour items) ?

Edited by vsrs_au on 9 May 2023 02:56
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »

Every weapon supplies both spell damage and weapon damage. For example, a max level 2H greatsword is about 1500 damage, and that applies to both weapon and spell damage. But spell damage is useless for a 2H sword, right? You really only get usage from weapon damage? No. Your skills will scale from the highest of your weapon or spell damage. So if your spell damage is ultimately higher than weapon damage, your sword will scale off spell damage. The same goes for max magicka and max stamina. Your skills will scale off the higher of the two. Spell crit and weapon crit? The higher of the two.

For example, I run a stamina Templar with a 2H sword using mostly stamina skills. I have all 64 attribute points into stamina. But Templar's have a passive that raises spell damage by 10% when you use certain class skills. So I build for high spell damage so I can get the most out of that extra 10% spell damage. Thus, my skills scales off spell damage (which is higher than my weapon damage) and max stamina (which is higher than my max magicka).
    Thanks for clarifying. So does that mean that the Warrior will affect a weapon if its weapon damage is higher than its spell damage, otherwise the Apprentice will affect the weapon?
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There was a much clearer distinction between the two before hybridization. Now, most things that give weapon or spell damage give both, so it's rare for the two to be different. These mundus stones, major sorcery/brutality from potions, and minor sorcery/brutality from templar/dk passives are the only things I can think of that will leave one higher than the other.
    If none of the buffs is in play, then you'll probably get identical results with either mundus.