The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Something I JUST realized today about MagDKs

ArchMikem
ArchMikem
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Mountain's Blessing: When you cast an Earthen Heart ability, you and your group gain Minor Brutality for 20 seconds, increasing (only) your Weapon Damage by 10%

When you're a MagDK using Molten Armaments for your Major Sorcery and NOT using The Apprentice stone, casting Molten activates the passive thus ending you up with more Weapon Damage than Spell Damage. Even though I have no Physical attacks to use it. Kinda bothered me to see I had 5k of useless Wep dmg and only 4.7k of Spell.
CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    skills and procs should scale with whichever version is higher

so while its not intuitive that a dk should spec into weapon dmg (regardless if its mag or stam), its certainly not "wasted"
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • deejayvee
    deejayvee
    ✭✭✭✭
    It used to matter with the spell or physical damage glyphs, but the recent update has made them the same
    PC - NA
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It used to be like that before Hybridization.

Now the game takes the higher of your Max Magicka or Stamina, Weapon or Spell damage and also Weapon or Spell crit chance for its calculations.
    Edited by Zodiarkslayer on 10 April 2023 15:08
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is why you should never use the Apprentice Mundus on DK. Warrior will get the 30% combined multiplier, but in most cases Thief is a better choice.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed that the moment they changed things to be hybridized. I've only recently returned to spell damage glyphs because they hybridized those to and added magic regeneration to them to make them unique.

This means when maximizing damage output via stats rather than critical chance and damage you go Warrior stone on a DK regardless of Magicka or Stamina, and this is inverted for Templars.

Reason ZOS left the passives as is, is because they wanted every class to be usable in group content. So they deliberately didn't fully hybridize their passives
    Edited by Vevvev on 31 March 2023 17:41
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Caribou77
    Caribou77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could also choose to forego a mundus stone on DK, and still overpower every other class with the exception of NB, assuming you enjoy competition.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And now you know why I dislike hybridization. This right here is it. I don't mind that weapons give the same amount of weapon and spell damage. I don't mind that buffs are hybridized. What bothers me is that by having all abilities scale on the higher stat, they now insentivise you to build the "wrong" stat. Not to mention that all sorts of sets were never intended to work for the other spec than they were designed for, which in turn drove power creep so high that the nerfs from U35 became a necessity in the eyes of the developers.
    Just thinking about it makes me want to quit the game again...
    Edited by Ratzkifal on 6 April 2023 02:56
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »
    And now you know why I dislike hybridization. This right here is it. I don't mind that weapons give the same amount of weapon and spell damage. I don't mind that buffs are hybridized. What bothers me is that by having all abilities scale on the higher stat, they now insentivise you to build the "wrong" stat. Not to mention that all sorts of sets were never intended to work for the other spec than they were designed for, which in turn drove power creep so high that the nerfs from U35 became a necessity in the eyes of the developers.
    Just thinking about it makes me want to quit the game again...

I wouldn't go that far. Hybridization isn't the end of the world.
    I'm enjoying my Altmer sorc that I converted from mag to primarily stam. But she can still use haunting curse as well as having a restoration staff back bar for healing.

My magplar Healer can use Vigor.

And my new Redguard Warden is a hybrid. Other than Dizzying swing, she uses all magicka morphs on all her skills.

When Necrom comes out I'm going to make an Imperial hybrid Arcanist.
  • Caribou77
    Caribou77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you like diversity of viable playing styles and classes, then hybridization made the game less fun. Before H, you could try to make the argument that both a stamina and magicka-focused version of a class should be competitve and viable (for pvp & high-end pve).

Now, every competitive class build is the same, effectively narrowing our options from 12 down to 6.

For example, 99% of the Sorcerers in pvp are running the same set of gear & skills. Masters Dual Wield front bar (spam blood craze in melee range) and Vateshran ice staff backbar. Same combos, again and again.

Of course it’s just personal preference. I enjoy a variety of opponents with different combat styles.
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Caribou77 wrote: »
    If you like diversity of viable playing styles and classes, then hybridization made the game less fun. Before H, you could try to make the argument that both a stamina and magicka-focused version of a class should be competitve and viable (for pvp & high-end pve).

Now, every competitive class build is the same, effectively narrowing our options from 12 down to 6.

For example, 99% of the Sorcerers in pvp are running the same set of gear & skills. Masters Dual Wield front bar (spam blood craze in melee range) and Vateshran ice staff backbar. Same combos, again and again.

Of course it’s just personal preference. I enjoy a variety of opponents with different combat styles.

I wouldn't say there's no diversity. My PvP stam sorc hybrid is different and very fun. I use shrouded daggers and Whirling blades with Diamond's victory. Haunting curse and shrouded daggers proc melee supremacy, Whirling blades proc range supremacy.
    I can keep Diamond's victory up all the time.
    Use resto back bar for heals.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Now the game takes the higher of your Max Magicka or Stamina, Weapon or Spell damage and also Weapon or Spell crit chance fir its calculations.

Wait a moment. If your spell crit is higher than you martial crit, but your weapon damage is higher than your spell damage, you get the benefits of both?
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Now the game takes the higher of your Max Magicka or Stamina, Weapon or Spell damage and also Weapon or Spell crit chance fir its calculations.

Wait a moment. If your spell crit is higher than you martial crit, but your weapon damage is higher than your spell damage, you get the benefits of both?

Pretty much. The game is only looking at your highest stats and calculating off those.

Have more magicka than stamina? It uses magicka in the calculation for damage across all abilities that scale off offensive stats.
    Have more weapon damage than spell damage? It uses weapon damage in the calculation for damage across all abilities that scale off offensive stats.
    Have more spell crit than weapon crit? It'll use the spell crit on everything that can potentially crit.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »

Pretty much. The game is only looking at your highest stats and calculating off those.

Have more magicka than stamina? It uses magicka in the calculation for damage across all abilities that scale off offensive stats.
    Have more weapon damage than spell damage? It uses weapon damage in the calculation for damage across all abilities that scale off offensive stats.
    Have more spell crit than weapon crit? It'll use the spell crit on everything that can potentially crit.

Yup the issue is if you are a sorc for example, and you get minor prophecy from class passives. But if you don't run camo hunter or inner light, and prefer to use a potion, you need to run a mag crit potion or you will not be able to stack major + minor.
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »

Yup the issue is if you are a sorc for example, and you get minor prophecy from class passives. But if you don't run camo hunter or inner light, and prefer to use a potion, you need to run a mag crit potion or you will not be able to stack major + minor.

Yes. They haven't hybridized potions and mundus stones. That's where you have to pay attention still.

Wether they have no plan what to do or they have a plan and it just takes a long time (possible alchemy rework?), noone knows.
    read, think and write.In that order.