The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Speed Cap in 2023

MacCait
MacCait
✭✭✭✭✭
Been away for a while and now back in the game. Playing around with speed on my Woodelf Nightblade and it seems to me I can reach a speed cap without using as mush as I would have used to. It has made me wonder if the speed cap was reduced while I was away?

Looking through various forum posts, youtube videos, builds, all concerning speed cap... it seems everything I look at is outdated and I cannot see anything current regarding speed changes and speed cap. I thought I would ask here .

I remember the speed cap was 100, so base of 100 + 100 for sprint was the cap at 200... It seems lower now, and when I look at advanced stats in character sheet, my sprint speed is 165%. So has the speed cap changed?

Edited by MacCait on 12 February 2023 16:25
  • nb_rich
    nb_rich
    ✭✭✭
    I had no clue there was a speed cap or stat lol this is new to me.

Anyways there has been patches to balance the game more so it’s possible they may have, might need to check a few patch notes. But it’s likely it may have been reduced.

When was the last time you played ?
    nb_rich
  • MacCait
    MacCait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last time I played was in the High Isle event, but not for long.

The speed cap has been in the game for quite a few years now
  • MacCait
    MacCait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a speed node farmer build I used ti use:

Steed with 7 divines
    3 swift jewelery
    7 medium
    Ring of Wild Hunt
    Concealed Weapon skill
    Vampire sneak
    Jailbreaker
    Darloc Brae

But that seems to be overkill now.

I noticed Conceal weapon is no longer 25% movement speed, but simply uses minor expedition, meaning there is no use to use Jailbreaker. Adept Rider seems a better bet for the major expedition.

The Steed mundus with 7 divines also seems no point and above cap.

5% Woodelf = Hunters Eye III
    30% Adept Rider = constant Major Expedition 30%
    45% Ring of the Wild Hunt = Combat speed 15% (45% out of combat) (no swift on ring - using infused instead)
    15% Concealed Weapon giving minor expedition
    10% Celerity CP

105% out of combat farming in sneak (cap used to be 100%)
    60% in combat movement (being seen or hit)
    I think with 7 medium armour its 74% in combat with CC immunity (after break free)?

doesn't even seem to be a point running Steeds Blessing CP (20% out of combat movement)

I can't honestly tell any differnce in speed sneak, so was just wondering if the cap had been reduced to 165% instead of 200% (with base walking speed being 100%)?
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the speed caps have not changed, but it is far easier to hit the non-mounted speed cap nowadays lol

your base speed is 100%, the cap is 200%

sprint usually adds +45-65% depending on how much medium armor/racial passives

as you noted, some things are different depending on in or out of combat (and its far easier to hit the speed cap out of combat)

if you had gold jewelry with swift that is +21% extra move speed all the time including in combat

this thread might help explain it more https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/566038/movement-and-mounted-speed-caps-explained
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • MacCait
    MacCait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the speed caps have not changed, but it is far easier to hit the non-mounted speed cap nowadays lol

your base speed is 100%, the cap is 200%

sprint usually adds +45-65% depending on how much medium armor/racial passives

as you noted, some things are different depending on in or out of combat (and its far easier to hit the speed cap out of combat)

if you had gold jewelry with swift that is +21% extra move speed all the time including in combat

this thread might help explain it more https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/566038/movement-and-mounted-speed-caps-explained

Thanks for the response