Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Champion Points. Are they necessary?

FafnirDovahkiin
I didn't see threads on this topic passed 2016. But I've been struggling with this, lately, and wanted to hear from the community. I feel that doing away with the CP system might help with some ongoing issues in the game. Don't get me wrong, there are a couple I love and wish could be transferred to a passive skill, specifically Slippery and the reduced fall damage. Now, I know there are no-cp campaigns for pvp, and anytime I've been in there, the performance is great compared to the lagging of CP campaigns. The downside is no proc sets; which I know probably helps with the lag, too. But I don't think the number of procs per player meets the number of CP per player, and there are a lot of really cool proc effects out there. Plus the endless grind for CP for new players is tedious and an excuse for higher level players to single out the lower CP players from running content without giving them a chance. On top of that, pve overland and questing has just become too easy, I feel. Would like a lil more challenge from random npc enemies, not just in dungeons/delves/etc. Though I've run without any CP for that and they're still too easy to burn. Perhaps up their difficulty, too. And as for gear, it's already set to CP 160. Why not just Max level at 160, so all the max gear in the game doesn't have to go through a massive overhaul?
Edited by ZOS_Icy on 2 April 2023 18:15
  • Auldwulfe
    Auldwulfe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only downside, that I can see, is that there would be little incentive past level 50, then.
    At this point, that is the only "improvement" you get after the very short play time to max level, and even then, it is more sideways improvement, as opposed to upwards growth, as they have repeatedly nerfed them down to minimal real effect.

Now, I would like the option to HIDE your CP level, as it is being used to gatekeep some people out of content...

Auldwulfe
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    i think the lag in cp campaigns is probably due to proc sets instead of champion points as no cp is also no proc, right?
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So CP 1 there was a big incentive, as it gave you a 10-30% damage, healing, and survivability increase in multiple areas, depending on your build. When CP 2 replaced CP 1, it was still a bit of a boost, between a 10 and 30% increase depending on your setup. Now it's around 6%? I don't think you'd notice a huge impact on damage or tanking if it was missing. It would make end game much more boring, and revert the game back to a Vet Rank state, essentially. But I don't think the power increase from CP is high enough to really justify it in the first place.

I'd like to see some other system, imo. I don't know WHAT, but something else. Currently it's just % and flat number bonuses when it comes to tanking, healing, and damage. It's bog standard, and thus pretty boring as it doesn't impact build diversity at all. I'd like it to be more unique, and possible completely impact how your build works.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LunaFlora wrote: »
    i think the lag in cp campaigns is probably due to proc sets instead of champion points as no cp is also no proc, right?
    And its there the large pvp guilds fights so you get the epic last emperor keep battles.

Also we can not forget the client in the room, if you get low frame rate doing Alki'r dolmens during this event your hardware is not up to speck. Remember they added 100 new motifs and all the outfit styles and mounts who has to be loaded into memory, preferably on the graphic memory.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, they could just bring back Veteran Ranks.
    Lol!! Just kidding.
    There has to be a system to progress after max level. I'm not that crazy about CP2 but it's better than VR was.
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol!! Just kidding.
    There has to be a system to progress after max level. I'm not that crazy about CP2 but it's better than VR was.

OMG... BITE YOUR TONGUE.

No, I wasn't there for VR. Thank the divines.... But yes, CP2 is better for me than the previous. I'm not much into "progression" - I just play the game, have fun, some characters eventually get to 50....

All my accounts (3 - and I play on both PC megaservers) are CP rank. But that's not very important overall to me - I solo, and really, I just play the game for fun. ESO is my.... um.... retirement fun, I guess....

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • MostlyJustCats
    MostlyJustCats
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't take very long to get the 500 or so CP you need to be as effective as you're ever gonna be. After that it's basically just for convenience and saving 3k gold every time you need to swap something.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh, the only tree I care about is green. And so many things about it make me SO not happy ....

/grumble
    Edited by TaSheen on 1 April 2023 03:33

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

• ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CP is a post-lv50 activity that keeps some people playing. Removing it will force some people to quit.
  • OutLaw_Nynx
    OutLaw_Nynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lol!! Just kidding.

Veteran Ranks -shivers-
  • Taggund
    Taggund
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd miss the green tree. I'd be ok with losing the other 2.
  • Shagreth
    Shagreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should just be convenience & gold making stuff, making CP increase your power was a mistake. I've seen people get booted or others refuse to run a dungeon because of 'low cp scum' being in the group far too many times.
  • Tensar
    Tensar
    ✭✭✭✭
    We need even more character progression
  • MaleAmazon
    MaleAmazon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CP is the only player progression past like the first week or two, if you play a lot. Well, except for "grind for a set that will be overnerfed in the next patch". For a game that´s soon a decade old, that´s pretty important.

The CP rehaul was a step in the right direction. If anything, we need more player progression, not less. Not in terms of raw power, but in terms of character development and... well, subclasses, if you will. Again, they have taken steps in the right direction with this, since spell damage and weapon damage are almost always no longer separated, breach being both for spell and weapon damage, etc.

Overland difficulty doesn´t have that much to do with CP. Overland is by design a pushover, a design that many of us are not happy with.
    Edited by MaleAmazon on 1 April 2023 12:44
  • BloodyStigmata
    BloodyStigmata
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol!! Just kidding.

Gods I could never. Slogged through two characters all the way up to max rank and I don't think I could ever do it again.
    Owner and proprietor of the Northern Elsweyr Guar Reserve and The Hunting Grounds Guar Reserve, Tamriel's home to all things guar.
    See the embedded brochures for all information regarding our reserves, as well as our collection status!
  • Deter1UK
    Deter1UK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    I just play the game for fun. ESO is my.... um.... retirement fun, I guess....

Mine too.

Also I have more than enough champion points to fill the slots and the passives. What the (-) do I do with the rest?
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deter1UK wrote: »
    TaSheen wrote: »
    I just play the game for fun. ESO is my.... um.... retirement fun, I guess....

Mine too.

Also I have more than enough champion points to fill the slots and the passives. What the (-) do I do with the rest?

Yeah. I've got everything I need on everyone, so the rest of the points just sit there. I'm not much into changing builds now that I've got them sorted out.

• logan68
    logan68
    ✭✭✭
    CP doesn't drive my character progression anymore. I have all the points i need to reasonably max my dps or healing. Its time for a new system but I have no ideas what that would be for ESO. If i wasn't focused on making gold I would be searching for a new game.
  • derkaiserliche
    derkaiserliche
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had so much fun leveling until i got like 1300cp, because i felt i am getting stronger every level. After that i lost my motivation to level since it didnt give me a feel of progressing anymore. Many people are feeling like i do, so i hope cp grinding will be motivating again one day..
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think CPs are fine, of course different people would tweak them in different ways, but I'm personally happy with both the concept and the present version of them.

That said, there are various things that could be done to improve them, like preventing alts from activating them before Level 50 or reducing the total number of them and making them character specific. Neither would be popular of course, but then they'd be unpopular with players who don't like them in the first place and who constantly complain that the game is too easy because (although they don't realise it) so many things are account-bound.
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I tend to play one character at time. I just set cp once and only adjust cp when I do major change to my build or an update messes it. I really hate updates which reset settings because I'm not at all interested fiddling with that several times in year. Most of my chars have only green cp set for writs and may also have attributes and non-craft skills unset.

If CP quality of life were just given to everyone and the rest of it burned in a fire I would not miss it.
    Edited by rpa on 2 April 2023 04:33
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

This thread has been moved to the Combat & Character Mechanics section, as it is better suited there.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post