The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Reward differences between NPCs and Real Player Matches?

DragonRacer
DragonRacer
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Is there a level of reward box differences for winning against NPCs versus winning against real players? I feel like the real player winner coffers, then the gold coffer from the "beat 3 real people" daily usually have better goodies than the NPC ones, but that's purely anecdotal. So, it made me wonder if there's any difference at all?

As a similar sub-thought, is there any variation between winner boxes for beating a Novice, Proficient, or Expert NPC? Are the rewards better for beating the Expert or are they all the same and it's better/more efficient/more logical to just whip a Novice three times and call it a day?

The fact that I am starting to branch out and play more alt toons rather than just my main made me wonder these questions as I am pulling each of them through the ToT quest starter stages.
PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    there is no variation between novice, proficient, or expert NPCs

winning against NPC is always a green box, losing is white box

if you do the npc tribute daily, if you do 1 win you get a green box, 2 wins is blue box, 3 wins is purple box

NPCs are far far easier to win against (i generally have about a 95% win rate against the npcs)

i dont have too much experience playing against players, except that its far far harder to get wins and feels way more stressful lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Jusey1
    Jusey1
    ✭✭✭✭
    i dont have too much experience playing against players, except that its far far harder to get wins and feels way more stressful lol

I win most matches against other players and I agree. It's just so stressful, especially when you have a time limit, insane queue times, and wanna get your daily done more so.
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't even bother playing the NPCs any more, sure if you get the quest and you win 3 you get a purple box but the rewards are RNG, its much quicker and useful getting the PvP quest and doing the daily random once to three wins per day.

When you play the NPCs you just play the patrons, and if they choose some crappy card like red or blue where you need to get some agent to use, just quit and reroll the NPC quest. Its too time consuming for such a minor reward.
  • HalfDragoness
    HalfDragoness
    ✭✭✭
    If you are just referring to the winning boxes you get sent in the mail after a match (not the boxes you get from handing the quests in at the Gonfalon Bay Roisters Club) I think the first win against a human per day has much better rewards. (Like the first rnd you do each day will give you better rewards than any additional ones done on the same day) but after that the rewards are similar. The only difference being that the ones where you beat a player have a chance to give you a small amount of transmute crystals. (I think....)

I will also add that reward boxes sent in the mail )against both NPCs and players) have a very small chance to include a random furnishing plan. So it is sometimes worth playing a bunch of games against them for that.
    Edited by HalfDragoness on 22 March 2023 00:44
  • DinoZavr
    DinoZavr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a level of reward box differences for winning against NPCs versus winning against real players? I feel like the real player winner coffers, then the gold coffer from the "beat 3 real people" daily usually have better goodies than the NPC ones, but that's purely anecdotal. So, it made me wonder if there's any difference at all?
    Yes, rewards from beating players are better than green coffers for beating NPCs but not much better.
    And this is the reason why i stopped playing versus other players
    tOFdwtC.png
    Match against NPC is 2-3 minutes or even shorter, as NPCs do not care about patron's check,
    while some (and, unfortunately, many) players delay theirs moves till the last seconds intentionally,
    making one game to last for 20..30 minutes, this does not justify time spent for me.
    (of course, it is my personal view - i do not enjoy too long boring games)

As a similar sub-thought, is there any variation between winner boxes for beating a Novice, Proficient, or Expert NPC? Are the rewards better for beating the Expert or are they all the same and it's better/more efficient/more logical to just whip a Novice three times and call it a day?
    it does matter if your character is still below level 7 in ToT
    beating Novice NPC gives you +45 points, Proficient - 60 points, and Expert - 75 points
    and you can play with Expert ones only during Kishka dailies, otherwise they reject you, saying your level is too low.
    if you are already at Master level - no difference then.

PC EU