Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Lusty Argonian Maid

ice34697
ice34697
✭✭✭
So, something that has bothered me and made me wonder is how a book written in 3E 427 is able to be found in 2E 582. Crassius Curio (aka Uncle Crassius to us Morrowind Alumni) wasn't around anywhere near the events of ESO. As great of a play as Lusty Argonian Maid I & II are, this just doesn't seem right to me, timeline wise.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I very much agree, and any explanation to make it fit makes Crassius look like a fraud. I chalk it up to fanservice from back in the days when ESO wasn't as good at handling lore and try to pretend it's not a thing.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe one of psijic order people invented something time machine from dwarven technology.
    It's a souvenir of future time travel. One of them brought "prohibited book :* " from different
    time line, and made new parallel world "ESO".

Or...

You know, there're still much of time space "rift" all over the Tamiriel. Someone got the book
    from rift, and made copy book, then sell it at the guild shop. :D
    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
  • Cosmo_Nova
    Cosmo_Nova
    ✭✭✭
    Time travel is definitely plausible. You can also find Septimus Signus' book Ruminations on the Elder Scrolls which wasn't written until the Fourth Era. In ESO it has a very interesting note implying it's temporally displaced somehow:

(Note by Ancestor Moth Brother Quintus Nerevelus: Found this at the back of the library stacks behind the Scroll of Rhunen. It had obviously been there a long time, yet the printer's sigil notes its publication date as "4E 195." This is obviously a transcription error. I think.)

The Gandranen Ruins delve in Shadowfen supposedly magically attracts books from all locations and time periods according to its loading screen, which is one possible explanation for how both of these books are in the Second Era.
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS didnt want to make hundreds of new books and wanted to nostalgia-bait fans, so they dumped a bunch of anachronistic books in the second era.

There's a clumsy in-universe explanation (Hermaeus Mora trolling everyone), but thats all it is.
    Edited by psychotrip on 4 September 2022 06:22
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ITT: Plagiarism of Crassius Curio is more scandalous than the Lusty Argonian Maid.

I love it.
    Edited by Dr_Con on 4 September 2022 09:46
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some things are just timeless.
  • Werewolfman187
    I'm just heard a simple idea to excuse it and its always stuck with me. Sheo is trolling people and threw that book down.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The simplest explanation is that Crassius Curio had gotten a copy a long out-of-print book or whatever and tried to pass off the work as his own.
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's fan service that is canonized through its inclusion in ESO.

Imagine if society collapses and all public books are burned/data was scrubbed, then 500 years later someone releases a play called Hamlet and credits themself, and also renames themself to William Shakespeare to solidify the fraud. It's that sort of deception that ESO sort of begins to paint.
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ice34697 wrote: »
    So, something that has bothered me and made me wonder is how a book written in 3E 427 is able to be found in 2E 582. Crassius Curio (aka Uncle Crassius to us Morrowind Alumni) wasn't around anywhere near the events of ESO. As great of a play as Lusty Argonian Maid I & II are, this just doesn't seem right to me, timeline wise.
    ice34697 wrote: »

Personally I consider it more of an Easter egg in this case and not something that is actually supposed to actually exist in the lore but just a reference for fans to add a bit of humor
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What popular story isn’t just folk-lore written down? And wasn’t the book for theatrical production, anyway? Crassus’ contribution does not have to be the story itself, but the presentation to the audience.

This is like an 18th century symphony being based on an 11th century folk-song, which probably was derived …
  • noblecron
    noblecron
    ✭✭✭✭
    I read somewhere, forgot where I read it that Crassius got it from an older Argonian tale. But I also read somewhere that Mora went and threw a bunch of books into Tamriel to mess with us. Not sure whic his correct and really wish I remembered where I saw these
  • PrinceShroob
    PrinceShroob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A load screen in Gandranen Ruins states "Tales say that Gandranen was built by an Ayleid sorcerer, a worshiper of Hermaeus Mora who so loved books that she created a series of magical halls that would attract books from across Tamriel, no matter where—or when—they were published." This is an in-world explanation for books that are technically written later to appear in Online (additionally, there's a new portion of Ruminations on the Elder Scrolls drawing attention to the book being anachronistic).

Telenger the Artificer's book on the subject matter suggests that the "Lusty Argonian Maid" is a stock character and that many of Tamriel's cultures have equivalents (after all, it's just innuendo).

It's not unthinkable that there have been many stories or plays written involving the Lusty Argonian Maid. We see that in the real world, for example, there are not only stock archetypes but similar fairy tales across cultures. And it's common for certain stories to be re-interpreted, whether under their original names or new ones.

Nothing Crassius Curio says in Morrowind actually contradicts that the story existed before he adapted it into a play, and it's not out of the question that Curio plagiarized it--he is, after all, supposed to be a bad writer ("The Lusty Argonian Maid" is apparently at least seven acts of the same joke over and over, and all the people in Vivec seem skeptical of the play's quality--"...it's probably no better than Crassius' old plays, which were awful...").
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe one of psijic order people invented something time machine from dwarven technology.
    It's a souvenir of future time travel. One of them brought "prohibited book :* " from different
    time line, and made new parallel world "ESO".

Or...

You know, there're still much of time space "rift" all over the Tamiriel. Someone got the book
    from rift, and made copy book, then sell it at the guild shop. :D

The Psijics can just use magic to time travel, it's an established feat, no need for Steampunk Soul powered machinery. Even the Vestige time travels in a DC zone quest.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Skullstachio
    Skullstachio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sometimes wonder if Apocrypha is temporally displaced in a way that allowed books from one time to enter another time like an oblivionic bridge? (But I'm pretty sure it is near impossible.)
    "When the human race learns to read the language of symbolism, a great veil will fall from the eyes of men." ~Manly P. Hall