The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What‘s your main class? [2023 edition]

Seraphayel
Seraphayel
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
New year, new thread. I created the one for 2022, so I'll do the same this year.
  • If you do have one main class, which is it?
  • If you don’t, which class do you play the most?
  • And are you playing more PvE or PvP?

(I matched the class colors with the poll colors, that's why they're not alphabetical - and I added an option for Arcanist)
PS5
EU
Aldmeri Dominion
- Khajiit Arcanist -

What‘s your main class? [2023 edition] 219 votes

Nightblade
22%
BlueRavenStxjjohnson023b14_ESObeardedJoeamonengelb16_ESOKhenarthiMuizerFoxhuntFingolfinn01Saint-AngeThunderclaphrothbernCeeJonesyJakelDKArchMikemRaddlemanNumber7TyharCerboltemilyhyoyeonold_scopie1945 49 votes
Necromancer
8%
adyreonb14_ESOdaryl.rasmusenb14_ESORedTalonAelorinOtarTheMadAnhedoniecaptainwolfosADarklorebinhoToanisJamuThatsWhoBoraxFluxlusshtgarelAnumarilEinher2137JimmyTortelliniFenris_ArainaiMelzoGibrans 19 votes
Templar
17%
Solarikenk9mousekypranb14_ESOsarahvhoffb14_ESOssewallb14_ESODanikatMaster_FluffDMuehlhausenshadyjane62TaintedKurseLiedekeRagnarok0130Oberon45MEBengalsFan2001fakingfocusedFroilFakeFoxWelanduznihirisutouRedBranch 38 votes
Sorcerer
23%
calitrumanb14_ESOJarndyceWuffyCeruleiDarkstorneLarsSAektannKliffHowlKimchiVaranaClyde_BlueSnakeGERMANO-THE-IMPERIALVenscalTheDominionRedFireDiscoLadyHeloiseFluffyReachWitchSilverIce58mikemaconArtim_XZabagad 51 votes
Dragonknight
11%
VriendaAvalonRangerManwithBeard9BatmannaJack-0I_killed_VivecDragonnordOhtimbarDark_Lord_KuroPurpleScrollErai_sedaiLanteanPegasusHamish999ghastleyphantasmalDHotdog_23katorgabmnobleGrandchamp1989fall0athboy 25 votes
Warden
11%
DarcyMardinTryxusphilips666_18b16_ESOflizomicaSirCriticalElsonsoTantalaJinazaiDestaiRampealJusey1carthalisMirrasolAshrynFlameweaver1951Dangerjoe1982AngryLorekeeperGrizzbeornShihp00AzuraFan 25 votes
Arcanist (will be my new main character in the future)
5%
Caligamy_ESOShagrethSorakaCendrillion21YamensteinAztriaselocinserewashbernWiseSkyUvi_AUTTechMaybeHicNyseto 12 votes
  • Jack-0
    Jack-0
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknight
    DK ftw (and not just some flavour of the month thing, I hasten to add, I've been playing almost exclusively DK for years).

I have my main, a DK tank, then I've got what was a mag DK and is now a hybrid, who, thanks to the armoury, can also tank when I want to get extra weekly coffers etc. It's just the most enjoyable class by miles, they still have pretty strong class identity and some terrific skills (with the exception of Stone Giant, of course, I don't like it at all and it isn't even a fun ability to run). They're also in a very good place for pvp at the moment :)
  • jtm1018
    jtm1018
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nightblade
    For better or worst, though I am the worst nb I know of, nightblade for life.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorcerer
    As I play this game from a roleplaying stance - my main is just who he is. It doesn't matter if other classes are better, more effective or whatever.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nightblade
    My main and most played class is nightblade because two of my main characters are best represented by nightblade in ESO so I naturally play nightblade the most.

The past year or so I've played next to no PVE (not counting overland I'm assuming) since all of my friends except one have quit the game over that time. Finding new friends is kind of exhausting.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • endgamesmug
    endgamesmug
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nightblade
    Ive run all classes over the years, templar was a favourite for awhile but as i knew nb it was easy to fall back to nb. Its most effective for damage for me, but i also spent a bunch of time after the templar gutting, getting to know warden a little better and that was good fun.
  • Sidereum
    Sidereum
    ✭✭✭
    Warden
    Warden! I just love ice magic and the nature themed spells. I also love the turquoise/cerulean color effects.

Edit: I mostly play solo content/roleplay/normal dungeons with my Warden, who's also my main character, the completionist one. I have 1 character for each class.
    Edited by Sidereum on 5 February 2023 12:53
    PC-EU | @Sidereum
    Favorite race: Imperial
    Favorite class: Warden
    Favorite alliance: Daggerfall Covenant
    Favorite zone: Gold Coast
    Favorite chapter: Blackwood
  • BoraxFlux
    BoraxFlux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necromancer
    Mostly play Necromancers, though I have every class.
    Loved to play a healer templar main in PvP, nowadays I seldom play PvP and PvE more. Hope to get the spark back one day.
  • Vrienda
    Vrienda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknight
    DK with my Templar alt being rather close to catching up.

I main DK not because of the class but because it's the character with all my story progress/motifs/skill points and so on. I find it very hard to not play her after all these years.
    Desperate for Roleplaying servers to bring open world non-organised RP to Elder Scrolls Online. Please ZOS.
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sorcerer
    Sorc's been my main since late 2015. I do everything with my main, PVE and PVP. I also heal and DPS as a sorc for PVE.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My "main" changes all the time. Right now I'm mostly playing my Templar, but at various points in the past I've focused on a Nightblade, two different Sorcerers, a DK, and a Necromancer. My DK is probably my most played overall, but I haven't played him much in the last 2 years or so. The only class I've never really stuck with for any extended period of time is Warden, whose abilities I just don't find all that fun.
  • Jarndyce
    Jarndyce
    ✭✭✭
    Sorcerer
    I created my main, a female Bosmer Stamsorc in beta. She is my master crafter, my antiquities hunter, my explorer and my story quest completionist. I have 11 other characters of various classes and races who focus on different activities. Love my Stamsorc. She was there from the beginning. 🙂
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Warden
    Still warden. Not going to change. I play every class but necro, and will add arcanist, but my mains are not ever changing to something else. I play only PVE, and don't do group content.
    Edited by TaSheen on 5 February 2023 15:36

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Androrix
    Androrix
    ✭✭✭✭
    Warden
    Warden is my one and only!

And I still don't know what I am doing....ha ha
  • Armanie
    Armanie
    ✭✭✭
    Templar
    I must be the only moron who switched from NB to templar
    (not that I knew how to play NB anyway)
  • NeuroticPixels
    NeuroticPixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar
    Armanie wrote: »
    I must be the only moron who switched from NB to templar
    (not that I knew how to play NB anyway)

No, I did the same. But that was way back before all these newer crappy changes to Templar.
    Check out the ReShade I made: Crispy Sharpness
  • DP99
    DP99
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nightblade
    One character, and one class, and that is Nightblade!
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sorcerer
    My first main character was a nightblade but then I switched to sorceror a couple of years ago. Looks like those two are the most popular so far.
  • Elendir2am
    Elendir2am
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknight
    It was sorcerer, but after treatment sorcerer get... He is warehouse man now.
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknight
    DK is very suitable image for my main tank character.
    I build this character in 2014. And still going adventure with her.
    And DK is the best tanking class.

I didn't know MMO basic 8 years ago, because ESO is my first MMO.
    (I was traditional Bethesda game studio fan. Basically, solo gamer.)
    So, I was doing stupid fake tank building in those days. :* I even didn't know
    what is tank role in those days.

Now, I can keep taunting Dragon by solo, and finished some Vet DLC dungeon as tank role.
    Even I could survive normal group trial first boss by solo so long time. And almost killed it.
    (But I kept fighting more than 1 hour. That was hell.)

Maybe, my girl is decent tank now, or at least getting better. But, still need training for the
    road of the best tank.

I'm not so MMO hardcore contents maniac. I still prefer solo AAA action game fan.
    But strangely, I was so excited when I was doing hard mission with guild people.
    That was so blood boiling experience. Looks like I'm enjoying MMO now, better than 8 years ago.

Well, we'll be back to Morrowind this year. Maybe, I'll be busy for tanking of new WorldBoss fighting.

My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
  • fall0athboy
    fall0athboy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknight
    Am a stamdk bow/bow.. Primarily PvE.
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorcerer
    I've been playing mages since TES Morrowind, it just feels wrong to play anything else now. PVE only.
  • GBllt
    GBllt
    ✭✭
    Sorcerer
    Only Sorcerer (actually magicka)
    Cyrodiil PVP and overland
  • Shagreth
    Shagreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arcanist (will be my new main character in the future)
    Arcanist, it's like a dream come true, I liked Herma since reading about him in Morrowind, later they expanded slightly in Oblivion. Then finally he got his expansion in Skyrim, everything about him and his realm is very intriguing, so naturally I'm going to be maining Arcanist. Plus I like green and Lovecraft.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar
    My main character has been a templar since I started in 2015. I picked it because it seemed like the best match for my usual TES character, so I've stuck with it ever since.

Recently I've also been using my DK tank a lot, but mainly for events and things.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't have one.
    I am far too picky lol.

DK: don't like the defence buffs.

Sorcerer: I hate the summons. Bring back no pet sorc!

Templar: new jabs make me sad.

Nightblade: feels too fiddly. Also I cannae see the spell effects, cap'n.

Warden: morrowind animals are a weird choice. Also, it isn't a druid or an ice mage. What is it?

Necromancer: my old main, but I got frustrated wading through the lake of glue that is necromancer gameplay.

Arcanist: might be a thing, as long it goes more on the runic magic and less on the tentacles. Not a fan of the overly specific themes. I know some people ARE keen, but hey. That is just me.

So yeah. Any ideas? I uh, think I ran out em.
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • Anumaril
    Anumaril
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necromancer
    Necromancer ever since it released. But still disappointed that I can't live my true dark magic fantasy since a lot of dark magic/daedric spells are locked behind being a sorcerer.

Can't wait until spellcrafting gets introduced so I can have dark magic/conjurations on my necro main (that or crossing my fingers that ZOS goes wild and overhauls the game to remove classes altogether)
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Warden
    I main PvE, PvP-wise I use both sorc and warden the same. I have one main of each role and my account main. Warden healer, warden brittleden dps, sorc tank, and my account main is a sorc. As it comes to it, the class I use the most is warden and everyone who knows me calls me a warden main. Funny actually, bringing a non-warden to a trial and being asked to run warden skills.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • Fenris_Arainai
    Fenris_Arainai
    ✭✭✭✭
    Necromancer
    Necro. Healer. PvE.
    Glory to you and your Dunmer House!
  • LanteanPegasus
    LanteanPegasus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknight
    When I started playing in 2016 I made a Dragonknight because that class was the best fit for my character. (An Imperial that upholds the "old ideals" of the Empire, and would've been very happy with Varen Aquilarios as Emperor. More of a soldier/officer/fighter than a mage.)
    I played through the whole game with him since then, and will keep doing so in the future. So Dragonknight will stay my main class.

I'm here exclusively for the PvE part, with heavy emphasis on the overland/story/zone content (no trials, almost no arenas, dungeons only now and then), so my choice is purely for RP reasons, meta doesn't bother me in the slightest. (And I feel very lucky for it to be that way...)
  • OsUfi
    OsUfi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nightblade
    Years of maining a warden, I recently changed to nightblade. Always a healer.

Wardens great for... How to say... Set it and forget spellcasting. AoE DoTs and heals. I fancied being a different healer, and shifted over to Nightblade. Will see about the arcanist and healing is like when Necrom comes out, but will most likely wait for a sale before I buy.