Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The problem with DRUIDS

joseayalac
joseayalac
✭✭✭✭✭
What ESO has done by introducing whole communities of druids. Druids are supposed to be a certain role in a society rather than a society as a whole.

What am I missing here or did the writers screw up this one?
Edited by joseayalac on 21 November 2022 05:15
  • TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your not understanding, they are a role in Breton society. Not all of bretons are druidic only some
  • BlissfulDeluge
    BlissfulDeluge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    joseayalac wrote: »
    What ESO has done by introducing whole communities of druids. Druids are supposed to be a certain role in a society rather than a society as a whole.

Druids are a subculture. You are not misunderstanding at all, they are a community, as you say. One which is confined to the Systres, at that. They do not exist on the mainland at all.

I could go on to rant about how I wish they had made druids a role in Breton society, instead, but no point crying over spilled milk.
    Edited by BlissfulDeluge on 21 November 2022 17:14
    Former completionist with all achievements unlocked up until Update 29 (Flames of Ambition). Avid RPer, writer, and former Breton lover. Then Legacy of the Bretons was released and I realized just how boring and uninspired the Bretons are according to the writers.
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They're treated like some religion who live out of the cities and out in the open.

I find it highly irregular that they live in hovels near keeps, even in a fantasy game.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I guess the creators are the ones to define what's supposed to be in the fictional world they're creating. This doesn't neccessarily have to reflect real world history.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Druids dont fit perfectly, but if you look closely, Druids fit the other definitions of irl druid such as being priests, soothsayers, etc. Irl Druids left no written record, which is probably why druid history in-game is vague and primarily oral, and zos attempt to draw parallels to it by doing that. Games can deviate, take malachite for example. A great material and one of the strongest, but irl it would be horrible to use for armor and weapons.
    Edited by Aliyavana on 22 January 2023 11:35
  • Aztrias
    Aztrias
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The ESO Druids have more in common with the typical fantasy trope than historical Druids. Druids living in a circle or a grove and babbling about nature and balance is very typical for a lot of fantasy settings.
    Welcome Moon-and-Star to this place where destiny is made

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/498360/r-i-p-pc-eu/p1
    Nerevar forget!
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭
    I thought of them as being similar to the Celtic druids, most likely because their Triquetra tatoo reminded me of the Celtic knot and they were Britons
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Aztrias wrote: »
    The ESO Druids have more in common with the typical fantasy trope than historical Druids. Druids living in a circle or a grove and babbling about nature and balance is very typical for a lot of fantasy settings.

Yeah, this frustrated me. It was a great opportunity to bring attention to the real counterpart which seemed to be what the Breton Druids were supposed to be before ZOS meddled with them.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It's important to separate the idea of druids in fantasy or RPGs or even from the real world with ESO.

In ESO they live in hovels next to giant stone fortresses and are part human, part elf.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dr_Con wrote: »

It's important to separate the idea of druids in fantasy or RPGs or even from the real world with ESO.

In ESO they live in hovels next to giant stone fortresses and are part human, part elf.

Being a Breton is not a requirement to be a Druid. There's non-Breton Druids.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soarora wrote: »

druids are typically breton. the stonelore circle is out of the norm, as the majority which is the other two druidic circles exclude the other races. druids are linked to bretons from a historical context, and believe in breton's natural ability to enhance and perfect nature.
    Edited by Aliyavana on 10 February 2023 02:57
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Soarora wrote: »

being a chinese martial artist doesn't require you to be chinese either, and yet there are because semantics