Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Where is theme of the " Breton's legacy" in 2022?

AvalonRanger
AvalonRanger
✭✭✭✭✭
Where is theme of the " Breton's legacy" in 2022?

ZOS said to us that they want to tell about "Breton's Legacy story" in the 2022.
But actually say, it became "Druid's story".

Just why? Where's Breton's story?
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on 8 November 2022 04:31
My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Druids are the ancestry (in part) of the Bretons. They are the Nedic half.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, it's the Druids and Galen-- they are the Bretons' legacy. From Arena, the very first TES game:
    Upon selection of the Breton race, the player is informed with the following concerning Bretons:
    Know ye this also:
    Thy race is descended from the ancient Druids of Galen, quick witted and strong in the mystical arts. Thy folks are crafty and intelligent, a learned people who use their gifts to guide others to enlightenment...

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Arena:Races#Breton
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, Breton are half-elf and their ancestor is Druid people.
    Small amount of Breton still live in small island, and keep living with their old custom.

Is my recognition correct? But, why Druid people become minority among the Bretons?

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the end of Galen's story they repeat the expression "legacy of the Bretons" a few times, to make sure it's clear what this year's adventure was about. As others pointed out, it's related to the Bretons' druid ancestors.
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    Yep, it's the Druids and Galen-- they are the Bretons' legacy. From Arena, the very first TES game:
    Upon selection of the Breton race, the player is informed with the following concerning Bretons:
    Know ye this also:
    Thy race is descended from the ancient Druids of Galen, quick witted and strong in the mystical arts. Thy folks are crafty and intelligent, a learned people who use their gifts to guide others to enlightenment...

Thing is though, that according to ESO, the Druids of Galen are descended from the Bretons in High Rock, not the other way around.

The migration was from High Rock to Galen, not from Galen to High Rock. That historical exodus is pretty much the defining background of the story. Even if the Druid King and his druids were still Nedes at the time (I'm unclear about the timeline tbh, but I thought they were already Breton), there's nothing in ESO's story that would suggest modern Bretons are descended from the Druids in Galen. They are incredibly remote, and some circles downright reclusive.

Druids are Daedra (i.e., not-our-ancestors).
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    Know ye this also:

Thing is though, that according to ESO, the Druids of Galen are descended from the Bretons in High Rock, not the other way around.

The migration was from High Rock to Galen, not from Galen to High Rock. That historical exodus is pretty much the defining background of the story. Even if the Druid King and his druids were still Nedes at the time (I'm unclear about the timeline tbh, but I thought they were already Breton), there's nothing in ESO's story that would suggest modern Bretons are descended from the Druids in Galen. They are incredibly remote, and some circles downright reclusive.

I haven't done the Legacy of the Bretons storyline yet-- I've still got the Deadlands to wrap up-- so I can't comment about any of the Druidic content in ESO. But it seems possible that descendants of "the ancient Druids of Galen" emigrated to High Rock-- or, for that matter, somewhere else in Tamriel-- before they were taken as slaves by the ancestors of the High Elves (or whatever; I'm not a student of all the lore), then comingled with their Elven masters, and their half-Elven descendants settled in High Rock. And some if the Bretons could have then decided to return to the Systres to reconnect with their ancient past, or for other reasons, and then some of them could have joined with the remnants of the ancient Druids, or maybe there were no living remnants left so some modern Bretons decided to resurrect the ancient Druidic traditions, etc.

Like I said, I'm not a student of the lore, so I may have just committed a dozen "factual" errors, but my point is that the origins of the modern Druids of Galen might not necessarily invalidate any long-ago connections between the ancient Druids of Galen and the modern Bretons.

Also, it wouldn't be the first time that the lore established in Arena has been altered by later games in the series.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Know ye this also:

I haven't done the Legacy of the Bretons storyline yet-- I've still got the Deadlands to wrap up-- so I can't comment about any of the Druidic content in ESO. But it seems possible that descendants of "the ancient Druids of Galen" emigrated to High Rock-- or, for that matter, somewhere else in Tamriel-- before they were taken as slaves by the ancestors of the High Elves (or whatever; I'm not a student of all the lore), then comingled with their Elven masters, and their half-Elven descendants settled in High Rock. And some if the Bretons could have then decided to return to the Systres to reconnect with their ancient past, or for other reasons, and then some of them could have joined with the remnants of the ancient Druids, or maybe there were no living remnants left so some modern Bretons decided to resurrect the ancient Druidic traditions, etc.

Like I said, I'm not a student of the lore, so I may have just committed a dozen "factual" errors, but my point is that the origins of the modern Druids of Galen might not necessarily invalidate any long-ago connections between the ancient Druids of Galen and the modern Bretons.

Also, it wouldn't be the first time that the lore established in Arena has been altered by later games in the series.

I've been reading up a bit, including the new lore books in this year's content as well as promotional stuff like the Loremaster Q&A, and it seems there is not supposed to be a definite answer. Galen has apparently earlier origins that do not refer to the island in the Systres, so being a descendant of the "Druids of Galen" could probably mean anything. Sources also differ on whether the historical Druids were Nedes or already Bretons.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a person named Galen, so "Druids of Galen" could refer to a Druidic order founded by Galen, or something like that, and the island of Galen was presumably named after Galen the person, so it could have been settled long after the Bretons descended from the ancient Druids of Galen.

But I haven't read up on Galen the person, so I have no idea what the lore about him is, when he was suppised to have lived, not to mention where, etc.
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first experience of Elder Scrolls is TES5-Skyrim. (and making my custom sword mod model)
    So, I don't know "old story" of Elder Scrolls world. Thanks for sharing some knowledge for me.

2023/12/21
  • KingArthasMenethil
    KingArthasMenethil
    ✭✭✭
    The year is really just a Mystery of the Druids
    maxresdefault.jpg

The Bretons are just filler to fill the Evil Nedic people that has been a thing.
    EU 2000+ CP
    Characters
    Gaius Sulla 50 Cyrodiil DragonKnight.
    Livia Sulla 50 Cyrodiil Nightblade.
    Divayth-Fyr 50 Dunmer Sorcerer.
    Ragnar Shatter-Shield 50 Nord Dragonknight.
    Selvia Sulla 50 Cyrodiil Templar.
    Attrebus Mede 50 Cyrodiil Warden.
    Zirath Urivith 50 Dunmer Dragonknight.
    Dame Edwinna Gelas 50 Breton Dragonknight.
    Agrippina Tharn 50 Cyrodiil Necromancer.
    Bedal Dren 50 Dunmer Dragonknight.
  • Kingsindarkness
    Kingsindarkness
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This group of people is evil
    That group of people is evil

It's almost like watching the news....
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Know ye this also:

The Druids of Galen being nedic ancestors is the most commonly agreed theory and is acknowledged as such in several sources such as Modern Day Bretons: Man or Mer? and im more inclined to agree with something that has been established as far back as 28 years ago in Arena. The fact that there is contradicting information is not always good for the sake of unreliable narrator, and it really annoys me that they went ahead and added a potential post breton introduction for the Druids of Galen as a possible origin. Im also annoyed that they named the isle Galen as most people unfamiliar will assume the druids of galen originated from there.

Anyways, the druids of galen all eventually bred with direnni long enough to become bretons, and they were already bretons when they sailed to the systres.

Uesp has a pretty detailed article on the group https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Druids_of_Galen
    Edited by Aliyavana on 8 November 2022 06:16
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Know ye this also:

Modern druids from the isle are druids of Galen with a lowercase D for druid. Druids of Galen were no longer the historic group known as such when they disbanded into druidic circles.

Part of what the firesong want is to reunite the druidic circles so that they can resurrect the Druids of Galen as a group.
    Edited by Aliyavana on 8 November 2022 07:16
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I heard the news of new DLC announcement, I thought the "Breton's legacy" means their origin.
    Meaning is their half elf blood. I really wanted to see ancient Breton's ghost. But I couldn't meet those story.

Instead of that, strange volcano pop up from ground. Many of Druid people keep doing
    something ritual work everywhere. And sexy sea-elf pirates captain pop up from ocean.
    (Well...Sexy girls are good for male's culture anyway.) But, there's no story about half elf blood of Breton.

Hmm, the contents was great. But, it's very different what I thought.

2023/12/21