Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Besides daedra feuding amongst themselves, is there anything that threatens Oblivion and the daedra?

moleculardrugs
moleculardrugs
✭✭✭✭
Daedric princes and daedra are one thing, but is there anything else that threatens Oblivion and its inhabitants?
  • Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not really, unless we start getting into concepts such as CHIM and Amaranth.
    [The Beauty of Tamriel] My collection of ESO screenshots

Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock.
  • RisenEclipse
    RisenEclipse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some random adventurer chosen by destiny seems to be the worst threat they have so far...
  • Malyore
    Malyore
    ✭✭✭
    It's not confirmed what exactly sotha sil can do, but in the song "The coldharbor compact" sung by some bards, they mention a town was destroyed by molag bal, so sil went to oblivion to make demands to leave mundus alone. Eight other daedric princes came to mock him, but he ended up saying something that made them all agree to his demands. Whether it was a threat or an offer is probably never going to be clarified. We also have no idea what the clockwork city is really supposed to be for. Theres a book that mentions the clockwork city appears to mortals as an acorn does to one who's never seen a tree. It's incomprehensible to them that this tiny seed could sprout into an oak. For all we know, the city could be something itself that threatens the daedra, and it's beyond our imagination.
  • ColovianHastur
    ColovianHastur
    ✭✭✭
    Other than Sotha Sil's theoretical endgame (which involves in his own words, the "destruction of the Daedra"), there's nothing that can really threaten Daedra or Oblivion.
    Edited by ColovianHastur on 18 May 2022 14:27
  • Browiseth
    Browiseth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    apparently, the argonians

during the oblivion crisis the argonians of black marsh were essentially the only people able to effectively drive the daedra back enough that daedra were actively closing their oblivion gates to prevent argonian counterattacks
    skingrad when zoscharacters:
    • EP - M - Strikes-with-Arcane - Argonian Stamina Sorc - lvl 50 - The Flawless Conqueror/Spirit Slayer
    • EP - F - Melina Elinia - Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Sinnia Lavellan - Altmer Warden Healer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Follows-the-Arcane - Argonian Healer Sorcerer- lvl 50
    • EP - F - Ashes-of-Arcane - Argonian Magicka Necromancer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Bolgrog the Sinh - Orc Stamina Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Moonlight Maiden - Altmer Magicka Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Maxine Cauline - Breton Magicka Nightblade - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Garrus Loridius - Imperial Stamina Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Jennifer Loridius - Imperial Necromancer tank - lvl 50
    PC/NA but live in EU 150+ ping lyfe
  • Mr_Stach
    Mr_Stach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The Dwarves come back and find out there's Ore in Oblivion:

87q132tdw3hv.png

Honestly though, Dwarves have been gone since the End of the first Era. they were already the most advanced race before they left, imagine how advanced they are now. That's what I want to see.

Edited by Mr_Stach on 19 May 2022 17:59
    Altoholic, Frost Warden Sympathizer and Main

Glacial Guardian - Main - Frost Warden Zealot
    The Frost Man Cometh - PC Frost Backup
  • Malyore
    Malyore
    ✭✭✭
    andre499 wrote: »
    Other than Sotha Sil's theoretical endgame (which involves in his own words, the "destruction of the Daedra"), there's nothing that can really threaten Daedra or Oblivion.

When does he mention this? It's been a long time since I've done clockwork city.
  • Benzux
    Benzux
    ✭✭✭✭
    Malyore wrote: »
    andre499 wrote: »

When does he mention this? It's been a long time since I've done clockwork city.

IIRC it's a part of his last speech to you, but I could be misremembering. I've definitely seen the quote before, so I know it's a thing.

But yeah, to mimic others in this thread, Sotha Sil and his city were the only "real" threats to the Daedra, given that he was a being infused with divine energy but not limited in the same ways the Aedra are.
    The Argonians are less of a threat, and more like the Daedra probably can't affect them as much. The Hist foresaw the Oblivion Crisis years in advance and that's why they were able to prepare the Argonians for the invasion and turn it around. Doesn't make it any less badass though. But, we've seen what can happen when the Hist "go on the offensive" with the two novels, The Infernal City and Lord of Souls, so the potential is there. Whether or not they can pose a direct threat, however, is another question.
    BenzuxGamer - Xbox One since day 1 - CP 1500+
    Guildmaster of the Sacrificial Warriors, one of the oldest and most member-orientated Guilds on the Xbox One EU Megaserver
    "Casual" player from Finland who enjoys questing and dumb builds even after well over 1000 CP levels and 4000+ hours. A fan of Argonians, Goats and Elk. Also a massive Otaku (MAL Profile).
    "Following the meta makes you a sheep. That's why I'm a goat: I go in the opposite direction and make use of the things the sheep cannot." - Me, 2019
    Characters:
    Ben-Zu - Argonian MagDK DPS - EP (Main)
    Benzuth Telvanni - Dunmer MagSorc DPS - EP
    Haknir Head-Crusher - Nord DK Tank/Stam DPS - EP
    Delves-Deepest-Depths - Argonian StamBlade DPS - EP
    Raises-The-Dead - Argonian Mag Necromancer DPS7Healer - EP (Previously a Sorc healer, RIP)
    Bthuzdir Ynzavretz - Dwemer StamSorc DPS - AD (Dunmer in-game)
    Fafnir the Dragon - Nord Stam DK DPS - EP
    Bloodmage Thalnos - Breton MagBlade DPS - DC
    Finnis Wolfheart - Bosmer Stam Warden DPS - EP
    Gwyneth - Nord Warden Tank - EP
    Kud-Wazei Xeroicas - Argonian Mag Templar DPS/Tank - EP
    Barkskin Ben-Zhu - Argonian Warden Healer - EP (Alternate version of main)
    Xal-Vakka Xeroicas - Argonian DK Healer - EP
    Jaree-Shei the Wamasu - Argonian Sorcerer Tank - EP
    Gwennen Ereloth - Snow Elf Mag Warden DPS - EP (Dunmer in-game)
    Friedrich der Grosse - Imperial Nightblade Tank - EP
    Warfarin - Altmer Nightblade Healer - EP
  • kwinter
    kwinter
    ✭✭✭
    What about Sithis.
  • Malyore
    Malyore
    ✭✭✭
    Hm what about alduin as well? Does forming a new kalpa mean completely affecting the aurbis, or is it just nirn that gets affected? I may misunderstand exactly what alduin and a kalpa represents though mind you haha.
  • Browiseth
    Browiseth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hm what about alduin as well? Does forming a new kalpa mean completely affecting the aurbis, or is it just nirn that gets affected? I may misunderstand exactly what alduin and a kalpa represents though mind you haha.

@Malyore as i understand, the idea of alduin ending the world is a myth entirely of mortal creation. the only thing that is known for certain is that he is definitely one of akatosh's first-born, so he is undoubtedly very powerful...but literally being able to "eat" or "end" the world? i've always gotten the implication it was a reputation he earned because he was so terrifying to mortals, and he chose to play into that reputation in order to further instill fear in anyone that might oppose him.

but he isn't literally able to end the world, and as powerful as he may be i feel like, to the daedra he would just be particularly dangerous fauna of nirn rather than a legitimate threat to oblivion
    skingrad when zoscharacters:
    • EP - M - Strikes-with-Arcane - Argonian Stamina Sorc - lvl 50 - The Flawless Conqueror/Spirit Slayer
    • EP - F - Melina Elinia - Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Sinnia Lavellan - Altmer Warden Healer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Follows-the-Arcane - Argonian Healer Sorcerer- lvl 50
    • EP - F - Ashes-of-Arcane - Argonian Magicka Necromancer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Bolgrog the Sinh - Orc Stamina Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Moonlight Maiden - Altmer Magicka Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Maxine Cauline - Breton Magicka Nightblade - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Garrus Loridius - Imperial Stamina Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Jennifer Loridius - Imperial Necromancer tank - lvl 50
    PC/NA but live in EU 150+ ping lyfe
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Browiseth wrote: »

@Malyore as i understand, the idea of alduin ending the world is a myth entirely of mortal creation. the only thing that is known for certain is that he is definitely one of akatosh's first-born, so he is undoubtedly very powerful...but literally being able to "eat" or "end" the world? i've always gotten the implication it was a reputation he earned because he was so terrifying to mortals, and he chose to play into that reputation in order to further instill fear in anyone that might oppose him.

but he isn't literally able to end the world, and as powerful as he may be i feel like, to the daedra he would just be particularly dangerous fauna of nirn rather than a legitimate threat to oblivion

I think you might be underestimating Alduin here. If he was left unattended and he kept consuming the souls of everyone and everything he might very well start a new kalpa all by himself. It's sort of like when a tree falls but nobody is there to hear it, does it make a sound? When nobody is left to observe Nirn then it might simply cease to exist and start over in the next kalpa. That definitely seems to be in line with the whole "myth makes reality" which is the whole motivation for the ban of Talos worship.
    If you still aren't convinced, look at what Nahviintaas does at the time wound in Sunspire. That's a regular, albeit powerful, dragon trying to "correct the mortal mistake" and to "reclaim all that was and will be" all by himself. My personal theory is that he was trying to shatter time and to undo the killings of the dragons, restoring them to rule over all mortals, correcting their mistake - or perhaps even trying to undo creation and correct the mistake of mortality itself, which is sort of what the High Elves want. If a regular dragon could do that, then Alduin surely could do a lot worse than that given enough time.

That being said, on the topic of the thread, Molag Bal and Mehrunes Dagon likely come from previous kalpas so whatever Alduin is doing shouldn't really affect the Daedra - at least it shouldn't pose an existential threat to the Princes.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Werewolfman187
    Browiseth wrote: »
    apparently, the argonians

during the oblivion crisis the argonians of black marsh were essentially the only people able to effectively drive the daedra back enough that daedra were actively closing their oblivion gates to prevent argonian counterattacks

I still love this lore fact. The Daedria are up at night trying to send forces to Nirn to close the gates to this day. I bet the Vestige was an Argonian and they were all copying what they did in the main story quest.
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sotha Sil and Jyggalag.

The thing you need to know about daedra is that they know everything. Azura, when tested by the Dwemer, knew that there was a red petal flower in a box, yet when the box was open- nothing was there. She grew angry upon seeing. The dwarf who tricked her with this test had hidden the flower up his sleeve upon hearing his answer, and he died that night, according to legend.

Daedra may be all-knowing but they are still susceptible to trickery. Jyggalag was also aware of every future occurrence which would make him impervious to trickery, which is why they turned him into Sheogorath. Of all the daedric princes, only he knew his purpose.

I guess this brings us to why daedra are so interested in Nirn. Daedra are creators of their own plane, Aedra are creators of Nirn. To capture or seize Nirn is to subjugate those Aedra or to charm/claim/corrupt their gifts for their own gain. Many of the Aedra gave themselves to the world, and Daedra are not capable of creating life- only imitating or mimicing it. Personal theory- I think Lorkhan tended to oversee this world of Nirn as an entity like the Daedra do in theirs, which is why they ripped his heart out/tricked him into ripping his heart out, as the other Aedra had put much of themselves or even led their own people to the world to exist. If I was Auriel I'd want to kill Lorkhan too.

So basically, you have to trick or persuade daedra into hurting themselves or know them so well that you know their weaknesses and rip their heart out in that moment of weakness and then hide it.

Intimidate them with a known fact that could undo or harm them, which is what Sotha Sil did

Or you have to combine forces in a Captain Planet's Planeteers fashion to curse another daedric prince, like the Daedric Princes did to Jyggalag.
    Edited by Dr_Con on 9 October 2022 17:41