The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Inventory Insight and AutoCategory

Gegensmith
Gegensmith
✭✭
As mentioned in another thread, Inventory Insight is causing problems with the update. AutoCategory was also causing problems for me using the banker assistant. I'm still getting an error on each character login:
"TopLevelControl cannot be parented to any control but GuiRoot."
If anyone can identify the addon causing it, I'd appreciate it.
  • Lucifer_Sam
    Lucifer_Sam
    ✭✭
    I get that one every character load and it says it's Wykkid's Tool Bar causing it. Have not tried disabling yet to verify.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get that one every character load and it says it's Wykkid's Tool Bar causing it. Have not tried disabling yet to verify.

Wykkyd’s toolbar can be fixed easily in the toolbar.Lua file. Find the lines where it says “SetParent ( parent )” and change is to say “GuiRoot” inside the parentheses instead.
    Edited by Reverb on 7 June 2022 13:03
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The error does not only say "TopLevelControl cannot be parented to any control but GuiRoot." but it also shows you the control name of the Tlc (Top level control) so you should be able to see the addon by the name of that control. And your are able to search in your addon folder to that string /name via a text search too.
    It could be any of your enabled which uses a top level control and does not set the parent to the GuiRoot. ZOs changed that with high isle. Before the parent could be any control, although GuiRoot always should have been the parent.
    Edited by Baertram on 7 June 2022 20:57
  • delta_mystic
    delta_mystic
    ✭✭✭
    check these links to Comments on the addons' ESOUI pages. There are some temporary lua file work-arounds posted:

Inventory Insight

Auto Category
  • Gegensmith
    Gegensmith
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately it does only say "TopLevelControl [...]". I was able to identify inventory insight and autocategory errors from the report in the way you suggested Baertram, but this one doesn't identify itself. I have some Wykkid addons, so I'll try those, thank you.
  • Lucifer_Sam
    Lucifer_Sam
    ✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »

Wykkyd’s toolbar can be fixed easily in the toolbar.Lua file. Find the lines where it says “SetParent ( parent )” and change is to say “GuiRoot” inside the parentheses instead.

Appreciate that info.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Appreciate that info.

No problem. I love some of the Wykkyd addons and have spent way too much time pulling threads in the code to keep them working. The authors didn’t create their file structure or write their code in the same way most of us do, so it’s difficult to untangle. This particular fix was easy to find and fix though.

Now back to figuring out why Azurah broke Wykkyd’s Enhanced Chat…
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    inventory insight received an update yesterday through minion which makes it work correctly again without any hassle
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Arawin
    Arawin
    ✭✭
    I was /am having this same issue of the error not identifying the addon, but I have noticed that if I click on a youtube video or webpage on second monitor while my character loads, I don't get this error when character logs in. No idea why that should make a difference but one less error box to deal with.
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me know if you get Wykkyds to work. I love that tool bar. 😬

• Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChunkyCat wrote: »

Let me know if you get Wykkyds to work. I love that tool bar. 😬

The toolbar is straightforward to fix. Open the Toolbar.Lua file inside the Code folder (inside the Wykkyd’s Toolbar folder). Lines 550 and 609 day Setparent (parent ). Replace the word parent inside the parentheses to say GuiRoot. It should look like this:

:SetParent( GuiRoot )

I got Wykkyd’s Enhanced Chat working too, but…I don’t want to talk about it.
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Reverb maybe just share your addon then as a zip file if you got fixed it locally?
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Baertram wrote: »
    The error does not only say "TopLevelControl cannot be parented to any control but GuiRoot." but it also shows you the control name of the Tlc (Top level control) so you should be able to see the addon by the name of that control.

Any suggestions on how to locate the culprit when it actually ONLY says that, even with "more info" ticked?

(Besides disabling add-ons one by one)

• Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use LibDebugLogger, and DebugLogViewer as sirinsidiator added a detection to it (Was described in the Changelog I think). Should show you more info at the debug log UI then, hopefully. At the top left switch to "current Ui reload" to only show the current load of the Ui. At the addon settings of DebugLogViewer, LibDebugLogger enable the stack trace, and debug level.

Search with tools like Notepad++ (search, in files) in your live/AddOns folder for TopLevelControl and then compare with your loaded addons to find the one.
    Edited by Baertram on 24 June 2022 21:20
  • EmilyEstelle
    EmilyEstelle
    ✭✭✭
    "Wykkyd’s toolbar can be fixed easily in the toolbar.Lua file. Find the lines where it says “SetParent ( parent )” and change is to say “GuiRoot” inside the parentheses instead."

I go to the directory and only find addon.lua
    I've searched within that document and there's no line referring to SetParent
    Is there somewhere I can get this .lua file?

Thanks!

• Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Move away from outdated, non updated addons like Wykkyd and use new maintained instead. Example toolbar:

https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info3375-BarSteward-MultiToolbar.html