The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Need a better way to deal with bad addons

FlopsyPrince
FlopsyPrince
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
This isn't normally a problem, but I have found that after major patches, such as what we just got, at least one addon may be going into error hell, where it is impossible to close all error windows and thus get to a point where we can disable the addon - requiring us to end task to kill the app.

Even that is not horrid (though very annoying) but the error is not always in the addon causing the problem. This means that fixing things can be very difficult!

It would be very good to have the ability to have the specific AddOn executing now listed along with the option to either disable it now or to skip all future error messages, of this type at least.

Alternatively, supply a way to bring up the "Addons" list even with such an error message up, along with a /reloadui option.

Even just allowing a /reloadui may be enough since that will usually drop us out of whatever we were doing. I was stuck at the alchemy table several times on launch day because I was trying to finish the endeavor and kept disabling the wrong addon first.

EDIT: I forgot I was in the PC Tech Support Forum when I posted this, though it is a PC issue, so maybe it is good here.
Edited by ZOS_Bill on 9 June 2022 17:32
PC
PS4/PS5
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the "no thank you" addon is pretty good for this, it provides options to handle these errors, they can be either suppressed fully (not recommended) or fed into the notifications menu instead of instantly pop up (some may still pop but, but for example when the patch drop and advanced filters addon was throwing 150+ errors, i only got like 2-3 and repeated ones were dumped to notifications)

if something is breaking your menu, reloadui usually helps enough to pull up the settings, if that doesnt work and you are missing logout options, you can do /logout in the chat to get back to character selection screen and disable addons from there
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    the "no thank you" addon is pretty good for this, it provides options to handle these errors, they can be either suppressed fully (not recommended) or fed into the notifications menu instead of instantly pop up (some may still pop but, but for example when the patch drop and advanced filters addon was throwing 150+ errors, i only got like 2-3 and repeated ones were dumped to notifications)

if something is breaking your menu, reloadui usually helps enough to pull up the settings, if that doesnt work and you are missing logout options, you can do /logout in the chat to get back to character selection screen and disable addons from there

I may check the other out, but I couldn't get a chat entry to type "/reloadui" and thus was stuck. Some way out of that dialog, like "ignore errors for 5 minutes" would have helped greatly.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just disable all addons for 1 week and after that update all. There is no easy way to pretend that everything to just work again. There will always be the case that authors left, ZOs changed that much that every existing addon needs a major overhaul which needs time, or that even the devs are on vacations.

Your idea of something that fixes that globally does not exist and never will. Else we would have added that already in the last 8 years.

You just need to wait for updates, read comments, wait longer or disable the addons,or try to use other addons like No thank you or bug eater that just suppress some error messages. But: this will result in the addons never being fixed as you do not report this anymore, so overall this will not help.
    There also is no way to predict errors that could happen and delay them somehow for 5s as you have asked for. This is technically not possible.

It needs time after major patches, and you need to learn to wait or disable addons and play with the vanilla UI and enjoy the game that way.
    Edited by Baertram on 10 June 2022 13:29