Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Normal trials

cyberjanet
cyberjanet
✭✭✭✭✭
Does anyone else actually do and enjoy normal trials?

We've resorted to filling up our trials with companions. While we can usually manage a normal Sanctum Ophidia with a party of 6, that gets old quickly. With the companions we've done Sunspire, Cloudrest, Rockgrove, and now Kyne's Aegis. It makes it challenging, to be sure!

We get a lot of "Zos doesn't want companions to replace players". If we can't find the players, this is a pity. I'd really like more value out of the companions, and a wider choice also. I'm not bothering to get Mirri and Bastian with every character; just one of them with the characters I play most is fine. I think a Crow companion from the Blackfeather court would be fun, but really, I hope companions go the way of the houseguests in number and variety.

Another option would be to have trials or dungeons or some kind of instance for 6 or 8 players. Currently we have a choice of solo (Vateshran and Maelstrom), 4- player dungeons which many players can solo or duo, and 12-player trials which are not usually feasible with smaller groups - Sanctum Ophidia excluded - or groups that aren't elite. That is highly unlikely as I see it, it would require a shift in thinking which ain't gonna happen.

The thing is I do like to play socially. While I can solo stuff, why? It's no fun. Much nicer to be chatting to friends/guildmates while doing something together. And normal trials are a lovely vehicle for a group.
Edited by cyberjanet on 23 September 2021 16:38
Favourite NPC: Wine-For-All
Mostly PC-EU , with a lonely little guy on NA.
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    cyberjanet wrote: »
    Does anyone else actually do and enjoy normal trials?
    Yep. And, at least from the looks of 'Craglorn' zone-chat, so do a lot of other players. Although, it does seem to be like the same 2 or 3 Trials spammed in there. :/
    We've resorted to filling up our trials with companions. While we can usually manage a normal Sanctum Ophidia with a party of 6, that gets old quickly. With the companions we've done Sunspire, Cloudrest, Rockgrove, and now Kyne's Aegis. It makes it challenging, to be sure!

We get a lot of "Zos doesn't want companions to replace players"..
    Wait, so u guys do a 12-PLAYER Trial with only 6 players + 6 companions?!?! How the heck does that work with mechanics & clickys & teleports & such? Or do u guys just overwhelm out-DPS the bosses?

After initially dreaded it, i've recently become a real fan of 'companions system' , but i could've sworn Zenimax specifically stated how companions weren't allowed in Trials. I might be mis-remembering though, or maybe it was changed?

• fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes I enjoy normal trials, and run a friday fun trial every friday night. I put up the post earlier today and currently have 14 people who have put their name down for it.

When I say fun trials, I run things like naked trials, take your pets to work (everyone has to have a non combat pet, a monster set that spawns something, maybe a set like defiler etc). I've also done all tank trials, all healer trials, dress like a pirate and so on.

Maybe think about putting a spin on the trials that would revive some interest if you are struggling to get players - from my perspective I am in a social guild and its all about having fun while running content. It may work where you are recruiting, as an idea
    Soupy twist
  • cyberjanet
    cyberjanet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NeeScrolls wrote: »
    Wait, so u guys do a 12-PLAYER Trial with only 6 players + 6 companions?!?! How the heck does that work with mechanics & clickys & teleports & such? Or do u guys just overwhelm out-DPS the bosses?
    We have done a 12-player trial with only 6 players, before companions came in. Always Sanctum Ophidia. I don't think we have fantastic DPS - I certainly don't, I can't weave - but we do know the mechanics well. But we don't always have only 6 players. Filling up the gaps with companions gives a wider choice of trials, that's all. Also, as people log in later, they may join. We have started a trial with 7 players and finished with 12.
    Favourite NPC: Wine-For-All
    Mostly PC-EU , with a lonely little guy on NA.
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    NeeScrolls wrote: »
    We have done a 12-player trial with only 6 players, before companions came in. Always Sanctum Ophidia. I don't think we have fantastic DPS - I certainly don't, I can't weave - but we do know the mechanics well. But we don't always have only 6 players. Filling up the gaps with companions gives a wider choice of trials, that's all. Also, as people log in later, they may join. We have started a trial with 7 players and finished with 12.
    ahh ok , cool i'll have to try that method soon then cuz i have a bunch of Trials i still haven't even , well, tried yet ;)
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the only places im aware companions are not allowed is PVP (IC and cyro), solo arenas (maelstrom/vateshran), and your house (excluding houseguest variant)

i personally enjoy normal trials, i dont do them often and it helps me get a better understanding of mechanics and at least learn the fights for the few times ive helped fill in on a vet trial
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't know there were normal trials. I've been afraid to even look past normal random dungeons.
    PS5/NA
  • Bitter_Apple21
    As a tank trying to improve, I've been told I need to get into normal trials.

New to trials and as such, I've joined a guild to learn.

Might be wrong "forum" but if you need people for normal trials, count me in.

CP900 (from other toons), DK. Done a few vet DLCs, and and Cloudrest.

Let me know.

Edited by Bitter_Apple21 on 14 March 2022 21:27