The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What addon shows how many players are in the vicinity?

CrashTest
CrashTest
✭✭✭✭✭
^ topic.

Someone was calling out exactly how many players were in the vicinity and said they were using an addon that shows that info, but couldn't remember which addon. Does anyone know which addon this is?
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It’s one of the features of Miat’s PVP Alerts
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    stealthed players like me hiding and you have a way to make it known im there.
    thats cheating and an exploit
  • Karm1cOne
    Karm1cOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't count hidden players since Zos updated the api a few years back.

And it can't really be an exploit, as it's in the available api to anyone who wishes to look. Zos specifically allows certain info to be available.
    Edited by Karm1cOne on 22 September 2021 04:04
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gilvoth wrote: »

AddOns can only access data that ZOS allows them to access ...
    shades.gif

• Thoragaal
    Thoragaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »

shades.gif

That doesn't make it right.
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
    "I've always wanted to kick a duck up the arse" -Karl Pilkington, on the question what he'd do if it was the last day on earth.
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thoragaal wrote: »

shades.gif

Please tell me what advantage knowing the exact number of players in an area gives me over my opponent, how could I possibly exploit that information. "Oh, no there aren't 57 players here there are 58!, Time to activate my super-secret zerg killing weapon!"
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt the addon tells exactly how many players are in the area. Just because an addon says that does not make it true.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • BazOfWar
    BazOfWar
    ✭✭✭✭

shades.gif

Please tell me what advantage knowing the exact number of players in an area gives me over my opponent, how could I possibly exploit that information. "Oh, no there aren't 57 players here there are 58!, Time to activate my super-secret zerg killing weapon!"

I suppose he means if 4 or so players are wanting to make their way to an outpost to cap it then the addon would give them an unfair advantage to call in reinforcements. I don't know the range of this addon or anything about it but I can't see Zos allowing one that would give so much of an advantage to others.
  • Thoragaal
    Thoragaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭

shades.gif

57 or 58 players makes hardly any difference. But it's a big difference between thinking you're safe (you see nobody) and knowing that players are there (due to an addon) but not seen.
    If you add another 3 people into a zerg of 40, those 3 players make no difference. But if you're a single player, adding another 3 players, makes a huge difference on what they can accomplish.
    "I've always wanted to kick a duck up the arse" -Karl Pilkington, on the question what he'd do if it was the last day on earth.
  • Karm1cOne
    Karm1cOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    I doubt the addon tells exactly how many players are in the area. Just because an addon says that does not make it true.

I would lean toward true-ish. The api call would be talking to the parts of the code that determine things like, "if I cast rapid regen, how many targets are eligible". Now, that said, there are ways of being invisible to that code, such as stealth.
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭

shades.gif

57 or 58 players makes hardly any difference. But it's a big difference between thinking you're safe (you see nobody) and knowing that players are there (due to an addon) but not seen.
    If you add another 3 people into a zerg of 40, those 3 players make no difference. But if you're a single player, adding another 3 players, makes a huge difference on what they can accomplish.

It doesn't count them unless you've already seen them (to my knowledge) The only purpose of that feature of the addon is to give you some idea what the relative numbers are in a fight after it's already begun.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Karm1cOne wrote: »
    Elsonso wrote: »

I would lean toward true-ish. The api call would be talking to the parts of the code that determine things like, "if I cast rapid regen, how many targets are eligible". Now, that said, there are ways of being invisible to that code, such as stealth.

Actually, as I recall, it is not an API call but an event. The event basically says "hey, just so you know, character A just did this thing". The event notification only goes out for characters and actions that ZOS thinks are worthy of announcement. The announcement is basically part of the "they did it and you can see they did it" system, with range and applicability defined by ZOS.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The main thing I use it for is during/after a fight I can look at it and say "hey we are zerging pretty hard here" or "wow, we were outnumbered by that much?".
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i cant use element of surprise.
    this is obvious exploit and a cheat.
    i Hate it that these types thing allowed!~
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

shades.gif

Because when the addon could do that for hidden players, it enabled someone to know another player was stealthed nearby, without using detect pots/skills...
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »

shades.gif

Because when the addon could do that for hidden players, it enabled someone to know another player was stealthed nearby, without using detect pots/skills...

As I and others have said it does not reveal stealthed players In addition the addon is buggy enough that you can't rely on it for small numbers.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you know we are in the area it has revealed us.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't use this add-on (or any others for that matter...) but I do enjoy having someone in my group who is able to provide these numbers after a battle has ended. In the abstract, you might be aware that you wiped a faction-stack but it makes it much more satisfying to know that the (im)precise count was 62 players or whatnot.

I would agree that it probably should not count stealthed players, though (this is a rare instance where I actually have a degree of sympathy for a ganker).

That's just not true. See the above and I agree that it should not count stealthed players but there is a huge difference between being counted and actually being revealed. Most decent players already assume that there are gankers about when they are alone so not much is changing from their perspective.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

this ^
    if i alone or my group is stealthed and waiting to ambush enemies and you have an add-on that tells you we are in the area

then. that. is. cheating.

its Not intended and is beyond cheating!
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

this ^
    if i alone or my group is stealthed and waiting to ambush enemies and you have an add-on that tells you we are in the area

Are you quoting yourself?

Also, do you use Squishy Finder? That's a popular ganking utility that calls out enemies with low resistances and health. Some might also consider that to be cheating, except... that ZOS does indeed make this information available to add-on creators so no rules are being broken. In other words... take the issue up with ZOS rather than the players using them.

It also, to be clear, is NOT AT ALL the same thing as being revealed. Any ganker should know that.
  • lexicondevil99
    lexicondevil99
    ✭✭✭

this ^

this ^

It's SUPER CHEATING!!!!111

This is a game bro, chill.
    Edited by lexicondevil99 on 22 September 2021 21:43
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭

this ^

But I would need to be currently seeing you for you to register with the addon
  • CrashTest
    CrashTest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kartalin wrote: »
    It’s one of the features of Miat’s PVP Alerts

Thanks!
  • Thoragaal
    Thoragaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭

this ^

[...] Squishy Finder? That's a popular ganking utility that calls out enemies with low resistances and health. Some might also consider that to be cheating, except... that ZOS does indeed make this information available to add-on creators so no rules are being broken. In other words... take the issue up with ZOS rather than the players using them.

It also, to be clear, is NOT AT ALL the same thing as being revealed. Any ganker should know that.

I would find that addon to be exploiting too.
    Saying that "ZOS allows it therefore it's intended" is just a plain weak argument. It is true that ZOS hasn't done anything about it, just like they haven't fixed the issue with mails not showing up when logging in, but it doesn't mean it's intended.
    I think we all know that ZOS ignores issues unless too many people are bothered by it; it doesn't mean it's not an issue, just a low priority.

I'm not saying anyone should get in trouble because of these addons, it's clearly a fault of ZOS. But I am saying that people are clearly exploiting something that isn't intended and it's giving an unfair advantage.

Like @neferpitou73 said "It doesn't count them unless you've already seen them (to my knowledge)" it's less effective compared to the old Miat's addon for sure, but, could I successfully sneak away from a fight with the enemy (having said addon) thinking I'm still in their vicinity or even pretend I'm trying to escape when in fact I'm still there?
  • jasonleitch1_ESO
    jasonleitch1_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The player counter feature is part of Miat's PvP Alerts. The addon only counts unique player names that a player encounters. These players must be encountered by either using the reticle to identify the player or attacking/being attacked by the opposing player. Stealthed players are not detected or counted until the at least one of the above conditions are met.

That said, I noticed a few weeks ago that the player counter was not releasing names and that the counter was showing more players than it should be. Not certain if that issue has yet been addressed.
    PC/NA: Pentar Stonedrake (mag sorc) - Undefined (technically my main)
    PC/NA: Pentora Stonedrake (stam sorc) - Death Huntress (NB hunter / speed build)