The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

survey maps in Blackwood suck...

• Gaterbug30
    Gaterbug30
    ✭✭
    I craft on all 15 of my characters so I’m always doing surveys but the Blackwood surveys are beyond stupid hard. I hate deleting surveys but these may join the list of the ones I do delete ( Malabal Tor alchemy, Coldharbor Jewelry 1 and now all the Blackwood surveys) Not a single one of the Blackwood’s are easy.
  • Shawn_PT
    Shawn_PT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After spending so many hours running after surveys, I still had the rug pulled from under my feet by a small piece of paper.

It was not in my plans to check the map at all. After all, I have a backlog of questing and playing the game that goes back to CWC. But I caved in, decided I'd go grab a companion to see what the fuss was about, and in the meantime I took a detour to grab a survey I seemed to have in my bag.

As I said, I have picked so many surveys it's pretty much engraved in my brain. I count the nodes without even thinking about it. Imagine my surprise when I grabbed all the nodes in the area and ended up with two.

Two.

Wait.... Two? Where are the others?? Oh no.

I had to run around in increasingly wide circles looking for the telltale glow. Luckily, it was in an area with no grass or it would have been ten times worse. I understand the reasoning behind it, sort of. Let's place the nodes so it sort of looks like they're fallen branches from the nearby trees. The problem is there's a single node per tree... And the trees are very far apart.

Surveys, while they make sense from a crafter's point of view, are definitely more of a chore than an actual reward. Back when we had them in about 15 areas they were okay. Then we started having more and more zones, adding to the number of slots taken by them.

"Why don't you just go and pick them up whenever they're received?" Because it is much more time consuming to do it that way than to stack a pile of the same survey and go grab them all in one go. Adding more zones means more inventory pressure. Scattering the nodes this much is indeed adding insult to injury.

Don't people complain that gold is worthless? Why not add a mercenary service of sorts, in some cities or such. Hand over your surveys plus a fee for each (bulk comes discounted!) and receive the contents in your mail box some time later? I'd go for that.
  • ZOS_SarahHecker
    ZOS_SarahHecker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey all, just wanted to confirm we've seen this thread and that the survey node spacing will be adjusted in a future patch. Thank you for your feedback!
    Staff Post
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay, thank you! :)
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then I save mine, d
    Hey all, just wanted to confirm we've seen this thread and that the survey node spacing will be adjusted in a future patch. Thank you for your feedback!
    Then I save mine, did one and could not find more than one ancestor silk plant by random over 50 meters from the two trap boxes who was also far between, as far as is maximum for even wood surveys.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • MyNameIsElias
    MyNameIsElias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you so much for listening to our feedback! Goes a long way truly.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Good news! Uhhh. Wait. Does this mean closer together, or further apart? :smiley::wink::tongue:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • ZOS_SarahHecker
    ZOS_SarahHecker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

Good news! Uhhh. Wait. Does this mean closer together, or further apart? :smiley::wink::tongue:

Instructions unclear, moving the nodes even further apart :D
    Staff Post
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    😄
    PCNA
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZOS_SarahHecker

Thanks for the update! Would you be able to pass along any info about the other major survey-related pain point, which is that we can't clear out a full stack all at once? It would be such an amazing and universally-loved feature if we could grab resources from the nodes equal to the full stack of surveys we bring for that location, instead of doing the run-away-and-come-back trick to get the next set of survey nodes to spawn. Is this under discussion at all?
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing that helped a lot for the woodworking survey in Blackwood was disabling grass.
  • Abigail
    Abigail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got one alt who specializes in surveys. She's completed EVERY zone 100% and has maxed keen eye on everything. Surveys, including Blackwood, are stupid simple. But not everyone has that luxury and I get that Blackwood could be a PITA.
  • Bucky_13
    Bucky_13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Abigail wrote: »
    I've got one alt who specializes in surveys. She's completed EVERY zone 100% and has maxed keen eye on everything. Surveys, including Blackwood, are stupid simple. But not everyone has that luxury and I get that Blackwood could be a PITA.

Even with keen eye maxed they are a pain in the ass since you have to travel so much more compared to the other zones, meaning they take far more time. It was annoying enough with the slightly more spaced out ones in Greymoor, but these just take so much time.
  • Lerozain
    Lerozain
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gaterbug30 wrote: »
    ... list of the ones I do delete ( Malabal Tor alchemy...

Off-topic:

Some folks aren't aware of this, but you don't have to cross the bridge and go through the cave system to get to this survey.

On the west side of the river you can climb the terrain with a minimum of fuss and access it much quicker.
  • Czeri
    Czeri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lerozain wrote: »
    ... list of the ones I do delete ( Malabal Tor alchemy...

Off-topic:

Some folks aren't aware of this, but you don't have to cross the bridge and go through the cave system to get to this survey.

On the west side of the river you can climb the terrain with a minimum of fuss and access it much quicker.

That's good to know! Last time I did those I have accumulated over 50 because it was too much hassle to do them more regularly...
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Galbsadi wrote: »
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    To be fair, there are other zones-- including in the base game-- where some of the survey nodes are spread out rather than being jammed together in a small area.

That said, I haven't done any of the Blackwood surveys yet, so it will be interesting to see just hiw spread out the nodes are.

[snip]

I've done both, and the base game surveys aren't spread out AT ALL compared to Blackwood. Not even the worst offenders.

[Edited to remove Rude Comments]

As I said, I haven't done any of the Blackwood surveys yet, so I haven't seen how spread out the nodes are.

But I've done a lot of surveys in the base game, and there are definitely some where the nodes are spread out. Most of them aren't like that, but some are, and the first time I did those surveys it took me a bit of searching to find all of the nodes. After that they weren't a problem, because I knew where they were.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • kamimark
    kamimark
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Enchanting survey wrapped around castle walls was especially frustrating, you can't stand in one spot and see all the nodes, you have to do a complete loop around the building and there's a mob you'll aggro in the process.
    Kitty Rainbow Dash. pick, pick, stab.
  • runa_gate
    runa_gate
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's just really frustrating and insulting that someone might thing, at this late stage, the putting that much work into the rewards for crafting activity might be "fun".. has whomever designed this actually done writs and surveys? It's time-consuming. It really is, and it's time that could be spent doing something that isn't just chasing someone's decision that going far from a wayshrine and wandering around looking for nodes is a good use of time. The first time? Annoying and frustrating, especially as it breaks the pattern of almost all previous surveys. Then imagine doing this a hundreds of times for years to come.

With max CP buffs into riding speed and such it takes 50 seconds to go from the wayshrine to the blacksmithing survey location in the image I've shared. It took about 1:10 to find this 6th node.. with 3 skill points into keep eye.

Blackwood-Blacksmithing-Survey-6th-node.png

It's outside of the line of sight of all the other nodes, presumably meant to be behind that outcrop but actually mostly buried. "Fun" I can't wait to go grab that node 100 times in the future.

What is so confusing about the idea that those who do writs on 18 characters a day, a huge time-sink, in order to semi-efficiently fuel doing endgame content with versatile build options, want a writ board with crafting stations all lined up in one little row, no running around, and Remains-Silent without a ride across town, a loading screen, and a jog through an outlaw refuge, to do our daily writ business? Once done with these activities more often than not I no longer want to go play with friends or guildmates. I do this while in offline mode to concentrate and ensure no one interrupts to get it done as fast as humanly possible. Every. Single. Day. Likewise, why must I log in and look at mails of crafting mats to get them? Luckily, the rewards are small enough that I will just take the 18 per day that doing writs necessitates and not increase that to 36 log-ins and the attendant loading screens to glean those meagre rewards. What does it contribute to the game or players' enjoyment to add even more time spent doing chores to ensure future fun by diligently collecting these crafting activity rewards? Granted, for those who do not need tons of upgrade mats the time investment is not so severe, but no segment of this activity is fun and it just seems like a punishment inflicted by uncaring and lazy design. Or perhaps masochism.
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    runa_gate wrote: »
    ...no segment of this activity is fun and it just seems like a punishment...

That's why I don't do the surveys anymore, it's just not fun.

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    runa_gate wrote: »
    It's just really frustrating and insulting that someone might thing, at this late stage, the putting that much work into the rewards for crafting activity might be "fun".. has whomever designed this actually done writs and surveys? It's time-consuming. It really is, and it's time that could be spent doing something that isn't just chasing someone's decision that going far from a wayshrine and wandering around looking for nodes is a good use of time. The first time? Annoying and frustrating, especially as it breaks the pattern of almost all previous surveys. Then imagine doing this a hundreds of times for years to come.

Meanwhile, I find it fun to go out into nowhere and collect resources and kill a few monsters after a particularly busy day at work. I save the surveys and do them in batches.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_SarahHecker I have now harvested Enchanter and Blacksmith.

Perhaps a less playful layout in the case of the enchanter one but in both cases a significantly more sensible distribution of the nodes considering that harvesting surveys is a 'daily chore', thank you.

Much appreciated.
  • GCVDJ11T
    GCVDJ11T
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

Instructions unclear, moving the nodes even further apart :D

Ok this really made me laugh out loud....
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I’m glad that feedback was listened to and this was fixed! I was a bit confused as to what people were complaining about (having collected a number of Blackwood surveys without difficulty) but then noticed the date of the posts…
    Edited by Araneae6537 on 21 October 2021 22:14
  • dhoward5b14_ESO
    dhoward5b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I would not call it fixed, just improved. Some of the surveys are still spread out, so I still delete all my Blackwood surveys and don't go there.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not call it fixed, just improved. Some of the surveys are still spread out, so I still delete all my Blackwood surveys and don't go there.

The alchemy one is a little spread out but nothing I had a problem with. And overall still less time than surveys on other maps far from wayshrines or in limited access areas.
  • huntgod_ESO
    huntgod_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is why I have 1500+ surveys sitting in the bank...really should have done them when things were doubled.
    --- HuntGod ---
    Officer of the Unrepentant
    www.unrepentantgaming.com
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I craft on all 15 of my characters so I’m always doing surveys but the Blackwood surveys are beyond stupid hard. I hate deleting surveys but these may join the list of the ones I do delete ( Malabal Tor alchemy, Coldharbor Jewelry 1 and now all the Blackwood surveys) Not a single one of the Blackwood’s are easy.

Yeah, that has to be one of the worst ones ever. The only time i do that one is if I have 10+ surveys for it. Otherwise i don't bother at all. Think i currently have around 15 for that one, but it's still a pain and at the bottom of my to do list.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is why I have 1500+ surveys sitting in the bank...really should have done them when things were doubled.

Surveys aren’t doubled by events but do have a chance to be improved by the harvesting CP. Now I do like to collect during double drops for all the other harvesting along the way, but it doesn't make a difference for the survey materials themselves.