The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Nightblade Class Skills & Med or Light armor?

Bouvin
Bouvin
✭✭✭✭✭
So, playing my Nightblade I chose to specialize in Assassination and Shadow.

I also chose to go with Medium armor on a Khajit character to get the extra stealth benefits.

The problem I'm running into is that I'm running out of mana constantly. Since medium armor provides only stamina benefits, I'm wondering if light armor would be the way to go... but then you lose the stealth benefits associated with medium armor.

In the beta I also played a Nightblade but went with Dual Wield and Siphon skills. This split things up among stamina and mana a lot better..and I'm wondering if it was a mistake to got the assasination/shadow route with this character.

Thoughts?
  • Copenhagen
    Hey Bouvin,
    Just before reading this I read a guide by Hawke, which i found to be very helpful.
    Hawke's Guide

After reading his guide I would say: Both! Why not have a few light armor items on, as well as some medium. This way, down the road you have both leveled up.

I'm also playing as a Khajit Nightblade, considering some of the same things you're asking in regards to Dual Wield/Siphon vs. Assassination/Shadow.
  • Bouvin
    Bouvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dual Wield / Siphon worked really well in the beta. My Assasination/Shadow character that I thought would work better has felt really "weak" so far haha..

Good idea on using both. Get "enough" stealth and get some Magika benefit. I guess with the Khajit stealth skill helping out you can afford a few light pieces.
  • Copenhagen
    I'll have to head that route then. Thanks mate
  • Tamanous
    Tamanous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes just wear pieces of all types of armor in order to raise their skill. I play a mage style NB so I wear mostly light armor but will also wear 2-3 medium and 1 heavy. Even if someone was deciding on mostly medium armor with a melee oriented build I'd still suggest wearing a couple light armor pieces if you use magicka based abilities quite a bit.

Important thing to remember is that some NB melee ranged class abilities use melee mechanics even though they cost magicka. Most ranged ones use spell based mechanics. If you plan on only using melee class abilities you are fine building around medium armor and stamina to scale your abilities but you always need magicka regen to use them more.
  • Teloran
    Teloran
    ✭✭✭
    For end game you definitely want to have at least five pieces from a set to gain the powerful five piece bonus (spell crit or attack speed).

The choice of armour is also more complicated for Nightblades since veiled strike, assassin's blade and teleport strlke all use melee crit and are mitigated by armour. This means you won't gain any benefit from the spell penetration or spell crit for those abilities.
  • Drachdhar
    Drachdhar
    ✭✭✭
    Currently play with Assassination and Shadow... Actually mostly shadow with Teleport Strike, last one for fun. As long as I dont run into 5+ at the same time in mobs I tend to steamroll stuff. Sneak up, Veiled Strike -> Power Attack -> Flurry, Invisibility -> Veiled Strike... rince repeat as needed.
  • merfpmerfinton
    merfpmerfinton
    ✭✭✭
    Only at lvl 14 atm, but I go with full medium set and do a 5/2 max magicka/hp enchant mix.
    I picked up the executioner passive that gives 24 mp regen when you kill with an assassination skill, since I use Killer's Blade as my finisher. I also make sure to eat something that gives a buff to max mp or mp regen. I've also dumped the majority of my stat points into magicka.
  • Oneidas
    Oneidas
    I'm sure we're all at diff lvls, but especially during the first 15 lvls you'll run out fast if you don't spec magic.

Food is also excellent. Even the beg. recipes for lvl3 get you ~45 extra magic

Then later on you can fill in with gear and enchants as you progress in lvls.

You can also even out your stat distribution later on, but I like putting at least 10 of the first 15 in magic if you're running heavy assassin/shadow spell spec.

As for armor, I'd just make sure you have one piece of all 3 types. Then make the call on which you want 5 of at max lvl when you know the resource demands of your final spec. Spells/skills could change a lot by then depending on your lvling speed, so you'll want to be able to wear everything.
  • eduardas.funkapreeb18_ESO
    Question:
    I think like this and its probably wrong could you correct me please.

Lets say 10 magica incrases your magic damage by 10 and 10 stamina increases your melee damage by 10
    So with one magic ability you do 10 and with one melee you do 10. you press 2 abilities to get 20 damage and it takes lets say 2 sec. But if you put all your points in to one resource you would do 20 damage in just one press in 1 sec ?

Is this right or I am completely wrong ?

Thanks
  • KoooZ
    KoooZ
    ✭✭
    quote="Teloran;522377"]For end game you definitely want to have at least five pieces from a set to gain the powerful five piece bonus (spell crit or attack speed).

The choice of armour is also more complicated for Nightblades since veiled strike, assassin's blade and teleport strlke all use melee crit and are mitigated by armour. This means you won't gain any benefit from the spell penetration or spell crit for those abilities.[/quote]
    Tamanous wrote: »
    Yes just wear pieces of all types of armor in order to raise their skill. I play a mage style NB so I wear mostly light armor but will also wear 2-3 medium and 1 heavy. Even if someone was deciding on mostly medium armor with a melee oriented build I'd still suggest wearing a couple light armor pieces if you use magicka based abilities quite a bit.

Important thing to remember is that some NB melee ranged class abilities use melee mechanics even though they cost magicka. Most ranged ones use spell based mechanics. If you plan on only using melee class abilities you are fine building around medium armor and stamina to scale your abilities but you always need magicka regen to use them more.

What abilities that use magicka are improved by stamina?
  • Bouvin
    Bouvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update: After a few more levels I threw in a couple of Dual Wield skills and things are going much better.

Because I'm now burning Magika and Stamina I'm not running out of juice very often any more. And if I do run out of one, the other usually builds up quick enough that I don't miss a beat.
    Edited by Bouvin on 5 April 2014 22:22