Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Some beginner questions.

Johnny_NO_skillz
Johnny_NO_skillz
✭✭✭
Only about 10 hours in, and I still have some newbie questions :( hope you guys can help.

1. When do anchors activate? Are they at random? Also, what are the rewards for completing them?

2. What's the best way to keep up to date on armor for your level? Merchants, blacksmithing, quest rewards?

3. What's the best way to level up blacksmithing, I've crafted a lot of things at this point but I'm just barely half way through level 2... Is it really this expensive and time consuming to level crafting?

4. What's zone progression like anyway? Do you stay in your faction's zones forever, or can you ever go to different faction zones?
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can answer for the crafting part, yeah best way to equip yourself is by crafting or buying crafted gear, you can also 'power up' normal gear with enchantments (glyphs) that add damage and effects and you can turn 'white' gear into 'green' (in the improvement tab)

You level your craft faster by deconstructing items you find (the ones you craft don't give you much xp if you break them down, try exchanging them with another smith)

Ah 4) at lvl 50 you can go level in the other two zones (50+) and adventure zones (not mentioning Cyrodiil from level 10)
    Edited by mutharex on 3 April 2014 16:58
  • Stonebreath
    3. What's the best way to level up blacksmithing, I've crafted a lot of things at this point but I'm just barely half way through level 2... Is it really this expensive and time consuming to level crafting?
    One big thing that helps is you get experience for deconstructing items as well as making them. You get significantly more experience if you deconstruct an item that you did not make. You actually get more experience for that than you do crafting your own stuff. One thing I've heard for this is to find a crafting buddy and both craft the same things then trade with each other. More experience for both of you, but requires interacting with another human being.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One big thing that helps is you get experience for deconstructing items as well as making them. You get significantly more experience if you deconstruct an item that you did not make. You actually get more experience for that than you do crafting your own stuff. One thing I've heard for this is to find a crafting buddy and both craft the same things then trade with each other. More experience for both of you, but requires interacting with another human being.

The horror! Jokes aside, hang round a FORGE AND ASK PEOPLE IF THEY WANT TO SWAP CRAFTED GEAR FOR BREAKING THEM DOWN

sorry about caps... cannot be arsed to retype all that :(
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dark Anchors are fixed in that they'll show up in the same spots each time. To find out more, sign up for the Fighters' guild.

And yes, you can go to other zones at level 50. Or earlier, if you take the Undaunted questline (it is very unnerving to see Covenant and Dominion PCs in Stonefalls, and vise versa. :( ). Not sure what sorts of quests are open to you, then, though, since I haven't tried it myself.
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Adhamh
    Adhamh
    ✭✭
    In regards to the anchors, they appear to be random and will only benefit the Fighter's guild questline. I'm not entirely sure how, but I do know that you don't get rewards otherwise.
    (other than exp, I think)
    Though to be honest, it's kinda cool to fight them anyway. Especially when there are a few other people tackling them with you. Definitely a great opportunity to try some synergies out too.
    IGN: Adhamh
    Race: Nord
    Class: Dragonknight
    Alliance: Ebonheart Pact
  • dolmen
    dolmen
    ✭✭✭
    @Johnny_NO_skillz - I think you will get very subjective opinions on #2, so here is mine :)

Craft your armor and weapons and enchantments. 9 times out of 10 what you make will be just a little bit better than drops. The added benefit is that you also level your crafting by doing so.
    The Sidekick Order
  • YourNameHere
    YourNameHere
    ✭✭✭
    Only about 10 hours in, and I still have some newbie questions :( hope you guys can help.

1. When do anchors activate? Are they at random? Also, what are the rewards for completing them?

Look on your map for something that is like a vortex icon. Also, you can hear strange chanting/sounds and you will see the anchor fall from the sky and hook into the ground. They do seem to be random at least in times of spawning but not in places.

I have not gotten anything specific for doing them outside what the enemies drop and I think counted for a place in your Achievements.
    2. What's the best way to keep up to date on armor for your level? Merchants, blacksmithing, quest rewards?

Quest rewards and drops are fairly all over the place, so I make my own armor. Find out what your class uses, and focus on that. Merchant gear is totally worthless IMO unless you wat to buy it and break it down for materials.

I break everything down and harvest all I can. Remember, breaking things down does level you in whatever craft it is for.
    4. What's zone progression like anyway? Do you stay in your faction's zones forever, or can you ever go to different faction zones?

Progression seems to be starting in one area, then you are moved to another then back again. With quests in between. Nothing ever forces you to be linear in any way, so feel free to explore around. Lots of hidden things!

I am unsure if you can go into other faction areas outside of PvP right now.
    NA Megaserver / RPer
    Alinyssa Gaethar - AD || Raahni-do - AD || Wind-In-Tree's-Shadow - DC
  • Tabia
    Tabia
    I also have a beginner question. Is there a limit to the stats granted from enchantments?I crafted three lvl 10 medium armor pieces. I think it was helm, shoulders and gloves. I then bought 3 enchantments from a merchant that granted + 17 Stamina. When i applied the enchantments, the helm showed the + 17 but the other two pieces only showed + 6. Not sure why.
  • dolmen
    dolmen
    ✭✭✭
    @Tabia - Yes they do apply with different stats in regards to the particular armor type (helm, glove, belt etc.). Since we are offline I can't go in and dig up some details, but I'm sure you will figure it out any way :)
    The Sidekick Order
  • Tabia
    Tabia
    So i wont know what im going to get applied until i actually apply it? Hmm... i tried googling it but all i could find were enchanting guides, not how they actually work when applying them. Ty for the answer :)
  • Tabia
    Tabia
    @dolmen‌ You pointed me in the right direction. I found a guide that explains it. Ty!
  • dolmen
    dolmen
    ✭✭✭
    @Tabia - to start with, no you won't know. But as you gain experience with the games mechanics, you will know and will be able to answer this question with details. So... when you write up your findings let us all know please :)

Edit: Or you could post the link to that guide, I would like to know more.
    Edited by dolmen on 3 April 2014 18:34
    The Sidekick Order
  • Tabia
    Tabia
    http://tamrieljournal.com/crafting-and-professions/enchanting/

Head Chest Legs Feet get 100%
    Shoulders Hands Waist get approx 70%