Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Learn something from GW2

Deronius
Deronius
Soul Shriven
Why wouldn't you adopt a GW2 approach to maintenance? Take a look at their downtimes. They basically have none. They patch and update in place. The worst that happens is you're forced to log out and then log back in immediately to get a new version. Please don't respond with scaling issues. They handle close to 500k users logged on at the same time during peak times. That might be less than ESO but it isn't chump change.
  • Laura
    Laura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is emergency maintenance. not scheduled. some bad *** happened that wasn't predicted your suggestion is irrelevant. GW2 has had emergency maintenance too
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last I heard, we were looking at 4 million players in Early Access.

Most MMOs have downtime for server maintenance. You should assume that it's going to happen, and that it's almost always going to be really inconvenient for Australia.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Stautmeister
    Stautmeister
    ✭✭✭
    There are some major issues with players logging in and entering on other peoples account... Being able to play their characters etc. Be happy they are fixing this.
    An orc marrying a wood elf?! Enjoy your Borsimer mutants!
  • Gohlar
    Gohlar
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are some major issues with players logging in and entering on other peoples account... Being able to play their characters etc. Be happy they are fixing this.

I hate downtime as much as anyone, but this is a worthy reason.
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    Because the rather nifty phasing technology is having problems when to many people pile into one area and things break. The best fix since the ID ten T's won't leave the area but camp the broken quest is a forced server reset.
  • S1D3FX
    S1D3FX
    ✭✭
    I would MUCH rather see down time to correct known issues rather than experiencing bugs first hand. I don't mind the down time, try to think of it as them actually doing their job! If they never fixed anything, what would or sub fees be going toward?
  • Trouvo
    Trouvo
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely an emergency maintenance, hence possible extended time to ensure its fixed http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/21yvux/shortly_after_system_message_about_disabled/
    Bloodline|RP Guild|Ebonheart Pact
  • Dahlia_Bristow
    Comparing the way systems are designed from one MMO to another is futile. This isn't GW2, the system isn't designed (obviously) to work the way GW2 does. At this point they're working with the design they chose, so short of a system overhaul it's less than helpful to tell them to do it the way somebody else does it.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Last I heard, we were looking at 4 million players in Early Access.

Where did you hear this?
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shimond wrote: »
    Where did you hear this?

That's a pre-order number that's been floating around these forums and in chat. Not sure how accurate it is, but based on how many people were in the last rounds of beta, it's not unreasonable. I know they said there were at least 5 million invites (though it's impossible to tell how many people used theirs).
    ----
    Murray?
  • Laura
    Laura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last night a few North American users reported inventory-related issues with their character account, such as seeing additional inventory items appear, or seeing items that were not earned through gameplay. We've identified and fixed the problem, but the issue necessitated some downtime overnight for the North American megaserver. This problem has not manifested on the European server, so it continues to run as normal. The fix will be implemented as soon as all required pre-testing is complete this morning.

We were already planning to push a new game build to both servers this morning, and we will continue to work towards this. Stay tuned for complete patch note shortly. In addition to this aforementioned priority fix, we are also working quickly to restore our 'send in-game mail' functionality, some content blocking fixes that are preventing some users from finishing quests, and a few other tweaks. Our goal is to have all of these fixes initiated later this morning, eastern US time.

We will update this post as soon as we have an exact timeline for the service to be restored
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's a pre-order number that's been floating around these forums and in chat. Not sure how accurate it is, but based on how many people were in the last rounds of beta, it's not unreasonable. I know they said there were at least 5 million invites (though it's impossible to tell how many people used theirs).

I would think if it were remotely true it would be advertised, as that's the highest I've ever heard pre-ordering for an MMO.
  • Deronius
    Deronius
    Soul Shriven
    Not comparing games. Comparing server technologies. GW2 uses a phasing technology that lets them patch in place. Maybe this downtown was absolutely necessary but if their future plans are to take the servers down regularly to do maintenance then my post stands. You can learn something from a game that has near 4 million registered users (not ESO but not chump change) and has almost no downtime at all. That doesn't mean I don't like ESO or even that I like GW2 more but if you can patch in place why wouldn't you?