Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Weapon Switching Strategy Question

outlanderbz
At level 15 we get the ability to slot a second weapon and allow us to have a second ability bar. I like this. My question is how do most people see themselves setting this up? Do you make one be melee while the other is ranged, or do you go one single target mob and the other AoE mob, perhaps one is DPS and one is tank.

I realize that this may be one of the cool parts of all the choices you can make to customize your character in this game but I am curious what people are thinking and doing. I have a lvl 10 Templar who uses a mace and shield. My first 3 skills are 1h/shield weapon skills and my last 2 are ranged. When I hit 15 I figure this will all change and am having a tough time wrapping my head around who I want my Templar to be.

Any thoughts or just talk about how you are handling this? Bored at work and just looking to discuss.
Edited by outlanderbz on 3 April 2014 14:24
  • Stautmeister
    Stautmeister
    ✭✭✭
    Personally i use 2 handed/resto stave. Offers maximum flexibility in group and pvp. Allows me to heal myself when im in danger while still using maximal dmg.
    Advised is to either go melee/ranged magicka/stamina or singletarget/aoe.
    An orc marrying a wood elf?! Enjoy your Borsimer mutants!
  • outlanderbz
    Personally i use 2 handed/resto stave. Offers maximum flexibility in group and pvp. Allows me to heal myself when im in danger while still using maximal dmg.
    Advised is to either go melee/ranged magicka/stamina or singletarget/aoe.

I haven't tried the resto stave at all. so basically you have a 2 handed DPS on your first ability bar and than switch to a healer on the second one? I like that idea. I am also liking the idea of maybe going melee/ranged as it allows me flexibility.
  • Sue_D_Nim
    Sue_D_Nim
    ✭✭✭
    No deep strategy here. I just want to be able to switch between my ranged weapon and my melee weapon (or weapon set, ideally) on the fly, the way I could in Skyrim. It doesn't feel realistic to initiate a battle from afar with my bow and then be unable to switch to a sword to be ready for close in fighting when the enemy charges me.
    "If danger doesn't find her, she'll seek it out and invite it home to dinner." ~ Prince Naemon
    "Such despair! Richer than a cheese sorbet!" ~ Sheogorath
  • Daverios
    Daverios
    ✭✭✭✭
    As someone else mentioned resto stave is a fine 2nd weapon but if your already a templar and not focusing heavily on healing others might not be the best for you. Any ranged weapon would be a good choice, bows work real well when combined with sneak is the strongest opener in the game IMO.

As far as actual swapping goes:
    I play on a g13 gamepad and found it real nice to be able to set one row of keys up as 1-5, then the row below it I set up as 5 macros to swap weapon and use corresponding skill in one button press. I prefer this as with weapon swap having a small GCD this way I can always time it perfect and only lose .5 a sec precisely every time before cast. Done manually you will never be as good at timing around the GCD.
  • outlanderbz
    Sue_D_Nim wrote: »
    No deep strategy here. I just want to be able to switch between my ranged weapon and my melee weapon (or weapon set, ideally) on the fly, the way I could in Skyrim. It doesn't feel realistic to initiate a battle from afar with my bow and then be unable to switch to a sword to be ready for close in fighting when the enemy charges me.

I am starting to think this is what I am going to do. Melee on one set and ranged on the other. Weapons being a 1hnd/shield on one and bow on the other. Since I solo more than anything I will probably keep DPS skills in those 2 also along with weapon skills. Healing could be an option also.
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    Nightblade build: Dual on one; melee (bow) on the other for solo was my first choice, but I found that dual already gives me DPS and stopping power. So I switched to resto staff. That pretty much gets me through now.
    "Funny that magic doesn't work when a mace caves in your skull."

Playing on a PC, NA Server, since that very first day ...
  • LilBudyWizerub17_ESO
    I think it could be useful in a lot of situations, but only really critical in PvP. With PvE you largely know what to expect. With PvP who knows the details before the fight starts? I got me a bunch of fire resist gear, too bad a bunch of frost mages showed up. Great I got all these melee dps skills, too bad I'm getting rooted and snared to death. If I could ever reach them I would kill them.
    My Guild - Anvil
  • Onin
    Onin
    Night Blade.Dual wield dagger on both. 1st is normal attacks and 2nd is for buffs and execute