Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Healing

LunarMedic
So, I saw that multiple classes can apparently heal in the game. I'm wondering which is the most effective at it. It seems like the Templar is, but I'm not quite sure. It appears that either way Light Robes and Resto staff are the only way to do so, but I'm not familiar with the skill trees. Also, is it possible to use elemental arrows with a bow..? O:
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh boy. The can is open... there are about to be worms everywhere, aren't there?

This is seriously a pretty up-in-the-air debate, last time I heard. The bottom line seems to be that any build can play any role... you can use Templar innate healing, or use a Sorcerer with a Restoration Staff to take advantage of their good magicka management, or use the NIghtblade Siphon skill line, or play up the Dragon Knight's innate heals with a Rest Staff...

Honestly, play whatever you want... as long as you spec that character for heals, it should be effective. Light armor will likely give you more magicka from enchantments. For Restoration staff, I highly recommend it no matter what your class, though a Templar may not find it entirely necessary.

A note on Templars... the resource management in that class took a nerf during a recent patch. If you rely solely on magicka (aka, all healing abilities), you are likely to run out pretty quick. For that reason, a lot of people (including myself) roll a Sorc healer instead.

That's my two Septims. Others are certainly free to contradict me.
    Edited by BlackSparrow on 3 April 2014 05:56
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • LunarMedic
    Thank you for telling me about that Nerf. I may just roll a Sorc with Destruct Staff and Resto so I can do some DPS if I want.
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    I get the idea of play which role you want with which class you want, but I personally see no way around end game groups needing templar healers. I'm not saying that all cutting edge healers will be templars, but I can't imagine a cutting edge group without templar healers. The reason for this is that the restoration staff appears to give all the spells you need to keep a group chugging along with it's HoTs and other efficient heals. However, the Templar restoration line has inefficient but high output emergency heals; now which end game raid group won't be wanting to take that with them?

As I said though, I don't think all the healers in that group will be templars but I bet there will be 1-2 of them.
  • Left_Hand
    Left_Hand
    ✭✭✭
    I tried both the templar and the sorcerer during the various beta's, and i have to say i prefer the sorcerer with the resto staff, the various mana efficiency skills and passives do a lot to keep up with enough mana to heal, as well as the class providing very nice skills to solo.

The templar on the other hand, since some recent changes to the class, is not so mana efficient and much easier to go OOM.
  • Malkavianqueen
    Malkavianqueen
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still sad about the Templar Nerf. :C They were my favorite class in beta. Does anyone know if Templar in light armor/magic focused race makes them any more viable? I don't like the restoration staff as much because I'm usually only playing with my boyfriend. As of now, my Templar characters are just going to be alts...* sighs*
  • Feidam
    Feidam
    ✭✭✭
    Templars make for more versatile healers IMO. They can add add very large burst heals to compliment the resto staff heals. Are they better healers eh eat class just does it differently. All the classes can dps as well so you are not locked into just one archetype there to dps as well as heal. The Templar has some very nice dps. All in all play which base class "feels" the best for you. In my experience however as you get higher regardless of class all healers needed light armor. You need all the magicka boosts/regen you can get.
  • Stautmeister
    Stautmeister
    ✭✭✭
    Templar healing ultimate is hands down the best heal in the game.(no mana cost) Making them a must have in late game situations. Sorcs however add Negate magic which is one of the strongest control ulties in the game.

Sorcs magicka management > Templar
    Templar flexibility> Sorcs
    An orc marrying a wood elf?! Enjoy your Borsimer mutants!